Hijacking your afterlife? (Or, I don't want to go to Sovengarde)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

FullmetalHeart20

So did anyone realize the implications of the main quest ending if your character isn't a Nord? Here you are, expecting to be reincarnated or return to the Hist or some such thing, and a human demi God thing says they've got a place all lined up in a place where you fight and drink for all eternity. Do you not get a choice? What if eternal combat and stuffing your face is your idea of hell? Could they redecorate and get rid of that OSHA hazard of a bridge?

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I too have wondered how this works. One does not see any non-Nords in Sovngarde so I wouldn't worry too much. I think it may depend upon the belief of the individual at the time of death; Ebony Warrior, a Redguard, is convinced that he is bound for Sovngarde so long as he dies an honorable death with a sword in hand, but who can say for sure?

What I know is this: Sovngarde is the place for me. :beermug:

Wauten Dayhil

Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire

Wildroses

What Tsun actually says is: "When you have finished your count of days, I may welcome you again, with glad friendship, and bid you join the blessed feasting."

I personally consider the most important word in that sentence: 'may' as in 'might'. He didn't say we 'will' be welcomed and join as if it was a certainty. He said may as if it were mere possibility. This is enough for me to imagine all my characters who would hate Sovngarde got to go somewhere else when they died.

I also recommend this short story, about a Listener who was really pissed at having to go to Sovngarde instead of the Void after she died.

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/8359529/1/When-Sovngarde-Beckons

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
One point to make is that Sovngarde is the Nordic aspect of Aetherius. It isn't so much deciding your fate to Sovngarde as Gods have so many aspects and lore on Tsun hints a connection to Zenithar, Bosmer God Z'en and the Redguard God Zeht. When he says he may welcome you again it could be in an entirely different looking realm of Aetherius, and as an entirely different aspect.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
If you kill the Ebony Warrior before heading to Sovngarde, do you run into him?
How in Oblivion do you do that?
How do you do what? Kill the Ebony Warrior before you go to Sovengard? It's easy. You kill the Ebony Warrior before you go to Sovengard. See. Simple! :)

Just being a smart a** obviously. It happens to me all the time. I rarely pay any attention to the main questline anymore so am usually over level 100 before I get anywhere near the Dragonslayer questline, so, inevitably the Ebony Warrior is long gone by the time I actually set foot in Sovengard for the first time.

No, BTW, I have never seen the Ebony Warrior in Sovengard.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
So did anyone realize the implications of the main quest ending if your character isn't a Nord? Here you are, expecting to be reincarnated or return to the Hist or some such thing, and a human demi God thing says they've got a place all lined up in a place where you fight and drink for all eternity. Do you not get a choice? What if eternal combat and stuffing your face is your idea of hell? Could they redecorate and get rid of that OSHA hazard of a bridge?

Wow, you played the OSHA (give us your money) card. OSHA would most likely be perfectly fine with that bridge as long as the payoff (I'm sorry, I meant "fine") was appropriate (big) enough. Of course, there is an appeal process (more money) that can drag on forever, draining every wallet in the room... paid for by the taxpayers of course.

I agree though, every soul getting funneled into Sovengarde is annoying.

Last edited:

Vauldis

This would be an issue for Vauldis(character) however, he intends to live forever.

Oh and he hasn't killed alduin yet because I used LaL to start his play through. Pretty sure he'd end up in cold harbour anyway. He's a vampirelord necromancer with as much compassion as a skeever.
Would!d Soveirgnguard overrule a realm of on!ivion though...hm interesting.

Balomew

Perhaps it is implied that it is one's actions that prove which afterlife, if there are multiples in this one rare case, one goes to. I doubt that the Dragonborn's soul would be (allowed to) be recycled in Aetherius, though it is an interesting theory. Speaking of which, is Aetherius a real of Oblivion or, as I see it, outside of the realm of both the living (Nirn and space, etc. - the real) and the nonexistent/mythical? The latter sounds more plausible to me, seeing as souls are being recycled. But that being said, if it were a realm of Oblivion in which souls are being recycled.. reminds me a bit of Coldharbour from ESO, though not the same thing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts