1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

High Elf build help.

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Minnesota, Oct 26, 2012.

1. Minnesota

Minnesota New Member

My High Elf is a level 43 except I think I'm building it wrong. Are Elf's supposed to be mages? I started this account by equally leveling off magic, health, and stamina but then started to focus on just magic. Although I love using heavy armor and big weapons to smash everything in my path to pieces but I feel like that's more suited for a Nord or Imperial. Plus I love how High Elfs look in Daedric armor since their bigger than everyone else. I'm just over halfway to the highest level so I could still change it, but am I better off as a mage since High Elfs start with extra magica anyways? Currently my skills are (M) 410 (H) 260 & (S) 260. What do you think?
  2. Justin Mitchell

Justin Mitchell Light Armoured Photographer

It's elementary really. You can be what you want to be regardless of race. High elves are better at the beginning for makes since they have that extra magic, but at your level, it's all going to be about the same. I'd go back and start over. I do it all the time. I know you're far along but that's what I would do. Remember that after level 15 or so, it's all about personal preference. Bretons have a cool ability, but I use the high elf ability more because of the quick mana regeneration. Hope I helped.

Sent from my HTCEVODesign4G using Tapatalk 2
  3. AS88

AS88 RP Mod Staff Member

Hi, my High Elf is a mage, too.

When I level I'm aiming for 400 magicka, 300 health, and then whatever I have left will go on magicka. If you're playing a pure mage, there's not much need for stamina to be honest, from my experience anyway.

If you're certain you want to head towards level 81, know that it's a very long process, and you'll probably need level 100 in every skill in the game, meaning a lot of grinding - I had a 140hr save and he was only level 56, and before I've had a 150hr save only at level 41.

You can get Daedric Armour in a roundabout way through the College of Winterhold, google Atronach Forge. It does look pretty cool, and if you get enchanting really high, you can pretty much negate spell costs through enchanting, and wear whatever you wanted to enchant with these skills. I find that's a bit overpowered though, and takes a little away from the game (a certain % is ok, but 100% spell cost reduction seems pointless to me).

It just depends on whether or not you want to stay as a mage, or try and fill everything to level 100.
    Hope this helps :)
  4. MjolnirV

MjolnirV Elder Shepard

I find it difficult to be a battlemage while using two handed weapons. If you want to keep on the path you're on just use magic as a source to buff yourself then charge into the fray

"Death closes all: but something ere the end, some work of noble note may yet be done. Not unbecoming men who strove with gods."
  5. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

I began as an Altmer battle mage type with fire magic augments, alchemy , enchanting , heavy armor , and smithing to Daedric but began tiring of same-old , same-old by level 50.

The next 15 levels after that I developed my skills in Alteration for Dragonhide(now primarily wearing clothes/armor combo) , One Handed , and in Conjuration ( for Dead Thrall)

The last 15 levels to 81 was tedious grinding of earlier underdeveloped skills like Lockpicking , Light Armor , Blocking , Two Handed , Pickpocketing , Illusion , and Restoration.

At 100 in all skills, I find that I have to restrain myself from building overpowered gear but now I can be any kind of mage or warrior I want to be depending on the circumstances. Master setting for continued challenging battles. Being a Jack-of-all-trades not so bad if you don`t mind switching gear/tactics periodically.

Going past level 50 probably not the best choice for someone who wants to play as a mage limited to certain magic schools or who is not interested in pursuing other skills or abilities.

Magic Cost Reduction gear very beneficial for mages who wish to utilize Master level spells on a regular basis.

If you have Dawnguard DLC installed , one good reason to reach high level is that the infamous Legendary Dragons don`t appear until level 78

: high elf