Here's a Strong Hint The Elder Scrolls Online Might Go Free-To-Play

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Shawn Hopkins

Is free-to-play the future of MMORPGs? After experiencing some free-to-play MMORPGs that get dangerously close to a "pay-to-win" model, I'm not so sure.

But some people certainly think so. And The Elder Scrolls Online was heavily criticized by those people when it launched last year with a traditional subscription model instead of a free-to-play scheme. Those people may get their wish soon.

As PC Gamer reports, ZeniMax has pulled its six month subscription option from its site. All that are left are options up to 90 days.

That's a familiar pattern, as other MMORPGs have yanked longer subs before going free-to-play. It's also worth noting that the console release of the game is still planned for this year, so it would make sense to make the switch at that time.

Going free-to-play would most likely make The Elder Scrolls Online more active, but would it make it a better game? For now, that's a question for the Divines.
View the Post on the Blog

cave812

dissenter
thats terrible news, every free-to-play mmo ive played are pay-to-win in 1 way or another since if you cant pay, you dont get access to as much of the game

Lucid

If it goes free-to-play it would feel like a hail mary. I don't want to think that the game is in such dire straits that they would make that move, but the signs are there. Their reasons for discontinuing the 6-month subscription are unconvincing, and there are a lot of legitimate problems with game play. But I hold high hopes that the 1.6 update will bring great things and prove the subscription model is still viable.

I do think they should offer a truly free trial. Right now thay give a free 30 days...after you buy the game and register your subscription with a payment method. That's a lot of money and personal information to fork over just to see if you're interested. Changing that process might get them more new customers.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts