PS3 Help with new character: Nordic Ruins explorer

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

sticky runes

I would like to start a new game as a character who is obsessed with exploring the many tombs and crypts around Skyrim, but I'm not sure where to start. I've done a couple of characters in the past who focused on Dwemer ruins and lots of characters who steered clear of Nordic ruins, but never a character who focused purely on them.

What race do you think I should choose? Most Nords in Skyrim seem to prefer leaving their ancient burial grounds alone so their dead can rest in peace. Unless I'm playing a rogue treasure hunter or Nord mage like Anska who you meet in High Gate ruins.

I'll probably want to use the Restoration school of magic so I can use spells to scare off undead enemies, and weapons imbued with turn undead enchantments.

I think an Imperial might be a good choice because they start off with a high level in Restoration.

I will likely be following the main quest as Dragonborn because that involves exploring a lot of tombs, and seeking out word walls which are always in Nordic ruins.

I would just like some help deciding the character's race and the kind interactions he would have with NPCs, and maybe a bit of help with the backstory, so what might have lead him to becoming fascinated in Nordic ruins in the first place. I'm thinking of playing as a spellsword, unless someone can come up with an interesting play style I'm not expecting.

I'm on PS3, so that means no mods, and I don't have Dawnguard installed, so there'll be none of those quests involved. I am open to joining Companions and Mage College. Should I be pro-necromancy or against it?

sticky runes

I thought about a Breton, but two of my most recent characters were Bretons so I'd prefer to use either a Nord or Imperial as I've not used those races for a while.

sticky runes

Maybe this person's mission is to uncover the many secrets that the dead have been protecting underneath Skyrim? There's the dragon priest masks which I've never actually completed before and words of power, and also many other artifacts that we discover in Nordic ruins such as the Gauldur amulets and Red Eagle's sword and the Pale Blade...

So this character has some interest in history and is not just some thug who wants to go around fighting things until he ends up in Sovngarde. At some point he will reach Sovngarde during his quest to slay Alduin. He's likely a total book worm.

Perhaps he will set up his own museum in his house (like I did with my Dwemer researchers) so I could build an armoury and have all the rare artifacts on display along with other ancient Nordic items.

It's just the back story i need to work on. What was he doing before he got arrested by Imperials and carted off to Helgen for execution? Maybe hanging around with a band of shifty tomb raiders? Or mistaken for a Stormcloak spy?

sticky runes

I've been thinking about Bashnag, the orc who leads a gang of spellswords in Southfringe Sanctum. He wears a suit of ancient Nordic armour. So I thought, what if that armour belonged to an ancestor of mine (I'd be a Nord), and Bashnag looted it from a relative of mine who was guarding it? Then it becomes my character's personal mission to track down Bashnag and reclaim the armour. I joined his coven so that I could get close to him, but I had to perform a quest to prove myself. The quest goes awry, and lands me in conflict with some Imperial soldiers. They arrest me and cart me off to Helgen. After I escape Helgen, I take refuge in Riverwood, where I meet the Valerius family who have a similar situation to mine - treasure stolen by bandits - and so I agree to help them get it back from Bleakfalls Barrow, and that's where my interest in Nordic ruins is ignited.

After overcoming Bleakfalls and helping Whiterun defeat the dragon, I discover that I am Dragonborn. I learn how to shout from the Greybeards and then once again track down Bashnag with my newfound powers and kill him, reclaiming my suit of ancient Nordic armour, which becomes my main apparel throughout the game as I continue to seek out treasures hidden by our ancestors in the many ruins around Skyrim.

How's that sound?

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts