1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Help with Heartfire

Discussion in 'Hearthfire' started by jjyank, Oct 8, 2012.

1. jjyank

jjyank New Member

Hello, everyone. New to the boards, just signed up. Most out of frustration, to be honest.

Okay, so here it goes. I played Skyrim twice when it first came out. Loved it. Took a break, moved on to some other games. Now I am bored with other games, and wanted to replay Skyrim. I come back to find two new DLCs! Awesome, that will spice up my come back. So I download Dawnstar and Hearthfire. Fire up the game, and start playing. I get a guy telling me about Dawnstar as soon as I enter Whiterun, so that's cool (though I haven't started it yet).

Hearthfire, however, is completely avoiding me. I looked around on the internet, and know what the process is. I have yet to receive a SINGLE letter about anything. And this new character is level 18 already. So I went out and became thane of Morthal. No option to buy a property (from the Jarl, or from the steward). Okay. So I went to Falkreath. Became thane there too. Again, no option to buy a property, from the Jarl, or from the steward.

What am I doing wrong? I tried re-downloading Hearthfire, that didn't help. When I go to the main menu, it lists both Hearthfire and Dawnstar as "add ons". I tried hanging out for a bit in a city I am NOT a thane of (Riften, in this case) to see if a courier could come. Still, no dice. I have no idea what I'm doing wrong. At this point, I don't even care what property it is, I just want to start building a house before I'm too far along in the game to care. Can anyone help me out here?
  2. Brizzle Kicks

Brizzle Kicks Welcome To The Underground

Hope this helps.

• For Falkreath: You must complete the “Rare Gifts” favor, and the “Kill the Bandit Leader” favor. You may then buy land from Steward Nenya.
    • For Hjaalmarch: You must complete the quest “Laid to Rest”. You may then buy land from Steward Aslfur
    • For Dawnstar: You must complete the Daedric Quest “Waking Nightmare” and then the favor “Kill the Giant”. Please note that this favor has the prerequisites of being level 22 or higher, and having had previously completed the “Waking Nightmare” Daedric Quest. At this point, you can then buy land directly from Jarl Skald the Elder.
  3. dayers81

dayers81 New Member

Hey jjyank, wondering if you ever found a solution. I'm having the same problem. I've completed the supposedly necessary quests, and become Thane, in both Morthal and Falkreath, and no ability to buy the land from the Jarl or their Steward. Frustrating to say the leasy,