1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

HELP! Switching skyrimto new comp

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by jjleonie, Nov 29, 2011.

1. jjleonie

jjleonie New Member

Hi guys, my problem is that I am getting a new comp soon, and I want to transfer skyrim there of course. My question is are the cd key used in installation and steam account, computer binding, as in fixed to one computer????isit guys? And I heard I can copy over saved files from my old to new comp, to continue my character? Any thoughts and advice people? Thanks a billion if u do
  2. Tacocat

Tacocat Member

To my knowledge, if you installed Skyrim via Steam, you can install Skyrim onto any other computer; provided you log into your Steam account.

And yes you can transfer save files. You simply just copy and paste your Saves folder from your Skyrim directory.
  3. theoduck

theoduck If persimmons approach, Khajiit will smell them.

Thanks. Khajiit also upgrades gear.
  4. Spiral Power!

Spiral Power! Abenddrachen

Copy your saves folder, reinstall the game, and then copy your data folder if you want to carry over your mods (if you have any).

There's no restriction on installing to your steam account, it will just ask you to verify your steam account via your email address, where it will send you a code to input into steam to login for the first time. After that you are fine : )