• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Radia964

I'm just wondering about the staff weapons. I don't really understand them.
The healing staffs are self explanatory...But I just got a Staff of - Fear.
and it reads "all creatures and enemies up to level 12, will flee for 60 seconds".

Being that I'm level 24, i'm guessing i cant use a level 12 staff.
Because my enemies are gonna be at my level (24). and a level 12 staff is way underleveled.
It looks like all the staffs i get are under my level...Is my theory right. Or is there something else to Staffs, that I'm missing?

Also, on Scrolls - what's the best Scroll( conjure spell) to use, when your mobbed by 4 or 5 enemies. I've used- Scroll of Blizzard before, that works well. but it's hard to find/buy in the game. Just wondering what others are good.

Any help would be appreciated

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
Not necessarily all of your enemies are going to be the same level as you. You can be a level 81 and find a low-level Bandit. Regardless, I usually just sell them as I'm not into any staffs other than Destructuon. As I previously stated, not all enemies will be your level, and since you're still somewhat a low level, it might be useful on Draugr or lesser creatures. Other than that, sell it for a pretty penny.

Scrolls however are hard to find. But they are most commonly found in Apocripha (Dragonborn DLC). If you are being swarmed by enemies, the best Conjuration scroll to use is an Atronach of sorts. Remember to look at your enemy and see what they might be immune to before you send out a certain Atronach. You can also acquire staffs that summon Atronachs as well, better yet, make them with the Deadric Forge.

Finally, from experience, if you are going to summon an Atronach, do it before the fight starts along with casting Oak/Stoneflesh.

Hope this helped. :D

Last edited:

Voorth

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy." - Josey Wales
One staff that you should keep if you find one is the Paralyzing Staff. I've paralyzed high level deathlords. I like it.

Twiffle

Ah staffs, the forgotten gem of skyrim, if you know how to use them,

Staffs are a god send for certain characters so long as you understand how they work. First off all staffs benefit from the perks/enchantments of the corresponding skill, e,g staff of flames damage will increase its damage with element perks, and other staffs increase in number of uses before recharging according to skill perks/enchantments.
That said they are great either for summoning before battle, or backup when magical exhausted and certain ones can buff followers or disable enemies while you recover.

Staffs are a large part of most of my characters if they don't use ranged skills such as archery, being that I can have sword n board character who can fire off a few quick range volleys with fireball staff as early as level 5.

One myth though is that staffs of destruction don't count towards xp, well actually they do count, but only 3 of them and you have to use them correctly, I'll let you figure that one out. Oh and alchemy affects all staffs too.

Lucid

None of my characters in Skyrim have used a staff much. My followers are so much more proficient with staves than I am. I do use the Sanguine Rose and sometimes the Wabbajack, but all others go to a follower or a storage room.

Voorth

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy." - Josey Wales
None of my characters in Skyrim have used a staff much. My followers are so much more proficient with staves than I am. I do use the Sanguine Rose and sometimes the Wabbajack, but all others go to a follower or a storage room.

I tend not to give my followers any staves, as it seems that they routinely end up hitting the "good guys" which causes them to attack me lol.

sticky runes

With illusion staffs that only effect low level enemies, you can still use them on weaker enemies such as wolves, skeevers, spiders and low level bandits. If you have any sort of calm spells, these can be helpful against any townsfolk who turn hostile towards you if you inadvertently piss someone off and don't want to kill them, as most villagers are of a low level.

Followers are quite fond of using staffs, but avoid giving them staffs that hit multiple targets, such as chain lightning or fireball, as they risk harming friendly NPCs who will then turn hostile against you, and that can be annoying.

I very rarely use scrolls, because I always have so many weapons and spells on me that I forget all about them. Scrolls like blizzard and firestorm can harm and kill friendly NPCs so i avoid using them unless I am entirely alone against a group of enemies.

Scrolls that affect undead are the ones I find most useful because they can scatter a horde of draugr which is useful when you reach the final area of a tomb, and as Restoration spells are designed to only harm undead, they will not hurt followers.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts