1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums. You totally should register so you can experience everything our community offers. We have various resources related to Skyrim which include a massive array of Guides and Tutorials. If you're here just for the discussion you can check out our General Skyrim Discussion section or if you're here for help you can check out our Skyrim Help section. We also have the latest Skyrim News and fun stuff like Roleplaying and even a Skyrim Fan Fiction section!

Are you here to discuss Dawnguard? You may discuss it by signing up and checking out this section.

So if you love Skyrim you should join for sure. Click the 'Sign Up' button on the right to register your account. You can register with your Facebook or Steam account.

Help naming my Assassin/Thief

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by gregrschmitt, May 11, 2012.

1. gregrschmitt

gregrschmitt Member

Hi all, I'm new to the forums and looking for a little help naming my assassin/thief character.

My character is an Imperial, who leads the Thieves Guild and the Dark Brotherhood. His main skills are Sneak, Archery, and One-Handed. He is also maxed out in all stealth skills. His weapons are a Daedric Bow, and Dual Daedric Daggers. He uses damage health poisons on his bow and daggers occasionally for assassinations.

For the longest time, I've had him go by the alias "The Imperial", since the generic name most NPCs call him is Imperial. However, I want to get more immersed in role-playing since I have played the game through-and-through and have gone through most of the content the game has to offer. That being said, I'm completely uncreative and can't come up with a good name for the life of me.

I'm dead set on his first name being John, I just can't come up with a surname. I really like the look of hyphenated last names in the game such as "Black-Briar", "Battle-Born", and "Silver-Blood". If anyone can help me come up with a good lore-friendly last name I'd be appreciative. I like the look of naming him something like "John Black-(Noun)" but I can't think of anything.

Anybody got any good names for an assassin/thief? :D
  2. Derpo

Derpo Member

Difficult to say. is he related to a noble family? whats his background? also whats his personality? these things factor into a last name in a fantasy esque genre if u can tell me im sure i could help.
  3. gregrschmitt

gregrschmitt Member

I'm still trying to figure out his back-story. I've had a real hard time coming up with anything, so the best angle I could think of is that my character has no memory of his past, or any of the events that lead up to him being arrested crossing the border into Skyrim. I figure that's the easiest type of back-story there is, that way I can actually create his personality through his decisions throughout Skyrim. I would say though that he's not an immoral person who kills due to some evil inside. He's more of a down to business type character, and does what he does because he is skilled at it. Despite the fact that he steals for the guild and kills for the brotherhood, he is an honorable character and has no real dark intentions.

I was trying to come up with some sort of alias that would fit him, but I can't come up with anything. The closest I got was maybe referring to him as "The Black Spider", because he dawns all black attire and when he strikes he is silent, deadly, and often uses poison on the blades of his daedric daggers. However I feel as if thats a little to corny, so I'm just looking for a lore friendly last name for John. Preferably something hyphenated that deals with his character build. Maybe something like John Black-Blade or something less corny lol.
  4. Kruise

Kruise Khajiit will smell them coming.

Let's see..
    John Black-Hand
    John Black-Star
    John Black-Night
    John Black-Tootsieroll
    John Black-Blade
    John Black-Bow
    John Black-King
  5. Kruise

Hey... I came up with John Black-Blade when you did! Cheater cheater, pumpkin eater ;)
  6. gregrschmitt

gregrschmitt Member

I actually was considering John Black-Hand yesterday, but I wasn't sure if it was to obvious due to the black hand of the Dark Brotherhood.
  7. Kruise

I honestly just stuck together some things when I think of assassins. I like tootsierolls, can you tell?
  8. gregrschmitt

gregrschmitt Member

The name John Black-Hand is starting to grow on me. Anyone think I should just stick with it, or go for something a little more non-revealing of his Dark Brotherhood status? More suggestions are always welcomed!
  9. nordicowboy

nordicowboy Must be my Nord blood......

Killy McStealington
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Derpo

Derpo Member

the spider thing sounds to morag tong like due to the fact they're matron deity is a spider. and black hand is honestly to stereotypical and the whole dark brotherhood thing. but thats my opinion
  11. Adam Warlock

Adam Warlock Well-Known Member

Iohannes Ebenus.
    Latin for "John Ebon Black"
    a fitting moniker for an imperial
  12. imaginepageant

imaginepageant of House Lannister

Is this name supposed to be his real, given name, or an alias that he's adopted for himself? If it's the former, John Black-Blade would be a highly unlikely name for an Imperial. Imperials' first names are often Roman-based; Gian would be a suitable variation (there's even an Imperial Gian in Skyrim). Black-Blade would be a perfect surname for a Nord, as most Nord surnames are hyphenated and descriptive in nature... so you could say that there was a Nord somewhere down your character's ancestral line and that's how he got the name. Otherwise, an Imperial family would not have that name. UESP has a page listing all of the Imperial first names and surnames used in the Elder Scrolls series, might be worth a look.

Now of course, this is your character and you're free to call him Buffy McCatnip if you like, but I thought I would point out this aspect of Elder Scrolls lore in case you were concerned with giving him a canon-friendly name.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  13. Panthera

Panthera Don Gato

Considering what you said about his background history (highlighted). I would say Imperial is perfect nickname as you had. If you watched Hancock movie. He takes the name after he was asked to sign. And he actually thought hancock is his name. Just like you said people call you all the time Imperial. So your character could take it as a name / nickname.
  14. stagnant94

stagnant94 Active Member

i called my Khajiit Sanguine because i thought it suited him
  15. gregrschmitt

gregrschmitt Member

Alright I have my characters name and story.

Name: John Maricus
    Alias: "The Imperial"
    Archetype: Assassin/Thief

John Maricus is the Guild Master of the Thieves Guild, and the Listener of the Dark Brotherhood in Skyrim. Prior to earning his titles and accolades amongst the criminal guilds of Skyrim, John was a citizen of Cyrodiil. He came from a middle-class family, and could have chosen to make a living off of an honest trade, or perhaps even become a scholar. However, while some find their calling at the Blacksmith's Forge, John found his calling in larceny and combat. It was not because of some inner-darkness or hatred that John chose a life of criminal acts and deeds, it was because he was simply born with the skills that fit the lifestyle of a criminal. While John observed that some man and mer were born with unique abilities in song and dance, crafting, and haggling, he found that he had the skills of stealth, marksmanship, and pickpocketing. After a few years of using his skills to make a living in Cyrodiil, John formed a small criminal organization that took jobs as thieves and murderers for hire. The small organization grew into a moderately successful business for John Maricus, until the members of his organization turned on him. The motive for their actions, as most often is when money is involved, was greed. While the tale of betrayal is to long for a mere back-story, it can be summarized as group mutiny that ended in John being forced to leave the organization, and leave his home of Cyrodiil to escape the threat of death. John found his way North, to Skyrim, where he was caught in an Imperial ambush of Stormcloak troops. From there, a new story unfolds of a foreigner making a name for himself through his cunning and stealthy ways, to become one of the most prominent names across Skyrim.
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Halkin

Halkin pzzzztt

i vote for shifty bollocks