Help me with my next build - The Priest

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
I went with the Robes, and heavy Boots/Gloves because it's lore friendly. There's no reason you Have to go for the armor cap, especially when you can reach nearly the same protection level with Ebonyflesh, or Dragonskin. (Over armor. It layers, so you can actually get higher than 80% protection.) And finally, if you're not getting killed, you have enough protection. Restoration makes it so you don't need as much armor with healing in combat, and Block helps a lot here too. Not every build has to be a tank, there are other ways to play.

I don't know anything about the armor availible from Dawnguard, I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible. All I've heard of is an improved set of Falmer Charus Chiton armor, which probably wouldn't do.

So you think I should scrap light:heavy armor all together and go with robes, boots, gauntlets and a shield/mace combo correct?

Loving all the input for this build!

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
Traditionally, priests use cloth. A paladin or cleric would wear armor. A robe with flesh armor would be ideal. I wouldn't pick up a shield, but I would grab a ward in the left hand, the better wards even add armor when they're used.

You'd lack a punch, but with the new Dawnguard spells you would be tearing up the Undead as well as any destruction mage. For fighting non-undead, you would be stuck with a follower. But that's sort of the traditional role of the priest. A support character, keeping their flock alive with the power of their faith while they do the heavy lifting.

-Restoration
-Alteration
-Illusion
-One hand
-Enchantment
-Alchemy

So what divine are you a priest of? Imperial, running around womping undead with a hammer, I want to say Stendar. As for priestly garb, there's an actual "Priest Robe" in the game. Can't get more priestly than that, I think.

are you talking about the Moth Priest Robes?

So you think I should scrap light:heavy armor all together and go with robes, boots, gauntlets and a shield/mace combo correct?
And either a a mage's Hood, Helmet, or bare headded. That's how I do it, with Restoration, and Destruction so you're not completely helpless at range. Just splash in Lightning.

BIGwooly

I'm curious what makes a priest a priest? I mean, if you're rolling around with a mace and a shield and heavy armor .. aren't you basically just a warrior anyways at that point?

When I think of a priest I think of someone wearing robes and regular shoes, maybe they have an amulet and a ring, and they likely know some magic and maybe carry a dagger for self-defense. Just my opinion.

I'm curious what makes a priest a priest? I mean, if you're rolling around with a mace and a shield and heavy armor .. aren't you basically just a warrior anyways at that point?

When I think of a priest I think of someone wearing robes and regular shoes, maybe they have an amulet and a ring, and they likely know some magic and maybe carry a dagger for self-defense. Just my opinion.
Technically, the patronship of a God is what makes you a priest. The whole Mace thing is straight out of D&D, and somehow remaines a staple to this day. Scroll up to my first post, I detailed how to build a Preist for several Aedra, and Daedra, but really, there's no way in Skyrim to play with prayer, since they haven't written it in yet. The closest you can get are Nightingales, who actually get blessings they can use from Nocturnal. Not a single Mace in the lot of them.

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii

I'm basing it off the "War Priest" build on theskyrimblog.ning site or whatever it's called. I posted a link on page 1

for a priest i would maybe do alteratio ,destruction .and restoration .adept restoration offers the greater ward wich increases your armor rating by 80 . also you could hot key and pop your mage armor spells before battle. as for the destruction spell you use thats personal prefrance i favor frost spells because the drain stamina so it limits the powere attacks enemys get on you and slows them down a bit

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
I really don't want to use offensive magic for this build, supportive magic only. Mace and or shield bashing for damage

1H
Resto
Alteration
Light/heavy armor

For the major skills

This is not quite a paladin build but not a cleric either. It's in the middle

Since you're not using Destruction for damage at a distance, get a good ranged follower, and invest in Shouts. You can spend a soul on Yol when Paarthy gives it to you, then get Tor from the soul he kicks down. And Dragonrend to ground them, of course. The main problem I have with Pure Melee is The Dragon Doesn't Have To Land, unless you bring them down with DR, or by dealing half their health total so they plow into the landscape. This means they can just hover, and blast you with Dragonbreath while you stand there blocking, or Warding helplessly until they decide to come down here, where you can hit them.

Is using a ward or Spellbreaker a viable option to use when waiting for a dragon to land?
Well, yes, and no. The AI may have it land conveniently for you, but I've also had them circle around indefinitely while you stand there defending the whole time. Since you're role-playing Stendarr, you can't just drop a Storm Atronach (because they're Daedra) and just Defending never won a fight. If nothing else, it could take hours, or you can move things along by dealing damage too.

You don't Have to add Destruction, nor Archery, but you might want to pick up Jenassa, and a few offensive shouts to move things along. Barring that, run the Main Quest as quickly as possible to Alduin's Bane for Dragonrend to ground them. Fortunately, you never Have to face one alone if you run it fast enough. Irileth, and the guards help with Mirmulnir, Delphine with Saloknir, and the Bloody at Karthspire, Paarthy with Alduin the first time (By which time you'll have DR, CS, and FB) and the 3 tongues/Tsun in Sovngard. Or, don't take the Dragonstone back to Farengar, and it will never be a problem.

ShadowGambit

Jenassa is not quite a good follower for a priest.

In term of capacity, she is great, but her morality is somehow inconvenient. She would assassinate, steal without remorse.

In a RP point of view, not quite the kind of gal I would see going around with a Priest, even less with a priest of Stendarr.

Jenassa is not quite a good follower for a priest. In term of capacity, she is great, but her morality is somehow inconvenient. She would assassinate, steal without remorse. In a RP point of view, not quite the kind of gal I would see going around with a Priest, even less with a priest of Stendarr.
All very true. From a RP standpoint, I'd justify it as Reforming a Mercenary Assassin, and a handy ally against the cursed Daedra. Since she's limited to the choices you give her, you can basically play her as a Reformed assassin, decked out in Gilded Elven Armor, with Dawnbreaker as an Initiate of Meridia. That's right, a Daedric Princess, but "One of the few not considered wholly evil," and with a similar charter of whiping out all Undead.

Regardless, she is but one option I offered, and there's plenty of Archers(though not as good) or Mages you could recruit. I wouldn't go with Eola, mind you, but J'zargo, Illia, Marcurio, and so forth would also be good choices. I'd probably go with Dragonrend as the path of least resistance, or just skipping the whole dragon thing with the main quest.

cofe

Loving all the input for this build!

there is and always has been a split in the church. Those who spread the word and those the use the god stick. if you prefer to talk:
go with restoration, alteration, illusion, speech, enchantment, alchemy, carry a mace and suck with it. use confusion and calm type spells on weak enemines and enchant others to fight for you when needed. if you must fight use alteratin armor spells confusion and restoration to survive. lean tward hp and magic more than sta.

if you prefer to beat god into people...
make a 1h shield heavy armor fighter leaning on the blunt end, go with restoration and whatever warcleric/war stragity skill you want aftr that. maybe congeration leaning tward the undead, i went with alteration all perks minus the stone skin perk. my brother mentioned alchemy which makes sence for a cleric. make your hp sta and magic more evened as you will be casting heals and vs. undead spells more often. dont worry about being in combat with low hp, you have heals and heavyarmor. i "B-lined" the center encantment line to double enchantments with 5 perks into enchantments strength.

good luck if you havent already made a cleric

Mace&Shield works well enough without armor, or a Heavy/Robes outfit. Full Heavysuit/Mace slows one down too much to depend on Restoration for combat healing because you have to disengage, and juggle, while trying to evade encumbered. This transition can get you killed when you're already hurting. Restoration works real good with Spellbreaker, and Ward Absorb, and I like the Aura like effect for the Holy Warrior look.

As with any religious build, I like to be explicit about the Higher Power I'm representing. Ok, you're a priest, I get that, but a Priest of Whom? A Night of the Nine, I could understand (with a sword, you're a Knight, after all.) Otherwise, I'd be explicit about a Priest/Cleric/Paladin of Whom? There's several regional (I.E.) racial variants of all the Aedra, as well as Talos, and even some of the less nasty Daedra, if you're a Dunmer, at least. A Paladin without a God is just a Knight.

cofe

Mace&Shield works well enough without armor, or a Heavy/Robes outfit. Full Heavysuit/Mace slows one down too much to depend on Restoration for combat healing because you have to disengage, and juggle, while trying to evade encumbered. This transition can get you killed when you're already hurting. Restoration works real good with Spellbreaker, and Ward Absorb, and I like the Aura like effect for the Holy Warrior look.

As with any religious build, I like to be explicit about the Higher Power I'm representing. Ok, you're a priest, I get that, but a Priest of Whom? A Night of the Nine, I could understand (with a sword, you're a Knight, after all.) Otherwise, I'd be explicit about a Priest/Cleric/Paladin of Whom? There's several regional (I.E.) racial variants of all the Aedra, as well as Talos, and even some of the less nasty Daedra, if you're a Dunmer, at least. A Paladin without a God is just a Knight.

i have a great back story on this guy if you'ed like. i was just talkin build, and breaking away from a fight to heal makes you a survivor that passes on the best technique

AS88

Staff member
I'd consider using the Mage Armour perks, 3x Ebonyflesh and Greater Ward are all you'd likely need without tanking your way through opponents, IMO. In terms of combat, you could use a shield, or bash without a shield and use a ward when you need to defend (although that might be a bit fiddly on PS3).

If you're on PC, there's a mod I've seen on Youtube that gives you shouts like Unrelenting Force that you can use with your hands, which would be brilliant for using some of your holy force to stagger an opponent before charging into them with your mace.

Just some ideas, that's probably how I'd try it :)

cofe

oh yeah i type classed my char.
Straight from the D&D players hand book is the war priest. uses heavy armor, shield, blunt weapons and a chosen weapon (i.e. this weapon i hold right here in my hand) choose the spher's for spells. no specified god. i have my quick list geared with Mace of Malog Bal (for the living) and Dawnguard (for the undead) my shield, light, close wounds, repel undead, summon arvak, slow time shout, stendars aura. with 370 on magic and hp and 360 on sta. with all the extra stuff from perks and skills i am a god king, like everyone else. tho i do find legendary dragons challenging. (downloaded stronger dragons MoD)undead are cheese. all undead. i handed it to the dawnguard expansion, it was cheesey but had a good story line and nice big caves. so the character build is perfect as i have hunted and defeated countless powerful undead, while keeping the game challanging enough to have fun. im strong but not invincible. i limited myself to keep it that way. undead are very weak to me but living creatures and monsters (the very strong ones) are actually fun to fight. playing on Xbox so my game is very close to the core game limits. only moded with dawnguard, hearthfire and stronger dragons.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts