Help me with my next build - The Priest

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
While I sit here at work, I've been thinking about what my next play through will be. I'm not abandoning my current Argonian build which i started a few days ago but just planning ahead. this will be a very RP heavy build

So I would like feed back on the following..

Race - Imperial or Breton. Leaning towards imperial because the racial power seems to work RP wise. Priest should have that kind of sway with people

I already have a name picked out, tell me if you get the reference =]. His name will be Vallon.

I will be wielding a mace in one hand and i cant decide between a shield in the other or a healing spell/ ward / flesh spell in the other. Thoughts?

The other problem I'm having is with the armor, traditionally heavy is the way to go with something like a circlet on no helmet for the head. But the ancient falmer armor looks sick for this build, I got that idea from the war priest build on the skyrim blog. So I need help there.

Skills - one handed (mace), restoration , alteration, smithing, enchanting, heavy OR light armor, possibly block?

Leaning towards not using block but need your input.

Now for some RP stuff

This will be my first skyrim char who will actually be 100% good. No daedric items or things you have to do bad stuff for. I will destroy the DB, not join thieves guild, hunt down the dragon priests etc, I would appreciate any more RP elements you can recommend.

What armor is priest-like, also what type of mace?

Should I bother with speech or illusion ? Because priests have a lot of power in influencing people (not creatures)

Sorry for asking so many questions but I would love feedback!

Xarnac

Are you on PC? What is he a priest of (which organization/pantheon/etc.)?

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
Ps3 but I do have it for Pc as well just doesn't run as smooth.

I think I will run this build on Pc tho

Thinking about Mara? Someone who is good

Tyrone

I'm the exact opposite of you, I always played the goody two-shoes paladin who would never serve daedra until I created my elf a week ago.

I personally like imperials more than bretons, just because of the look. Though, the breton resistance to magic would be beneficial when fighting necromancers or things like that.
I reccomend light armor or a blend of armors for your character, as heavy armor would make him too paladin-y, which you can choose to be if you want. Blocking I would experiment with at first, then you decide if you want a shield or not.
For Followers, if you choose to be a lightly armored priest, housecarls or another other plate-wielding individual would be best. If you choose to be more like a paladin and want a follower with a similar feel, choose Erandur from Dawnstar.
Ive really never bothered with speech or illusion, so I don't know what to say about that. I think I would choose it if I was in your shoes.

Hope this helps ya :)

Edit: I'd choose stendarr for a crusading paladin, mara for a more pacifistic priest

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
I'm the exact opposite of you, I always played the goody two-shoes paladin who would never serve daedra until I created my elf a week ago.

I personally like imperials more than bretons, just because of the look. Though, the breton resistance to magic would be beneficial when fighting necromancers or things like that.
I reccomend light armor or a blend of armors for your character, as heavy armor would make him too paladin-y, which you can choose to be if you want. Blocking I would experiment with at first, then you decide if you want a shield or not.
For Followers, if you choose to be a lightly armored priest, housecarls or another other plate-wielding individual would be best. If you choose to be more like a paladin and want a follower with a similar feel, choose Erandur from Dawnstar.
Ive really never bothered with speech or illusion, so I don't know what to say about that. I think I would choose it if I was in your shoes.

Hope this helps ya :)

Edit: I'd choose stendarr for a crusading paladin, mara for a more pacifistic priest

Thanks this really helps!!

What light armor would you recommend? Glass?

Any other RP stuff you can think of ?

Tyrone

Dawnguard Armor, Glass Armor, Elven Armor, and Ancient Falmer Armor are all good choices for a priest character. I personally prefer Dawnguard Armor just because it has the feel of a paladin too it, I reccomend that for both light and heavy armor.

For Roleplay, I reccomend alligning yourself with the Dawnguard in game and the Vigilants of Stendarr for roleplay. The Companions are another option, but avoid lycanthropy. The College of Winterhold can also be done if your character is more into restoration than maces.

ShadowGambit

I agree that Priest should go light armor with a hood or a circlet.

If you play on PC, take a look at the Mystic Elven Armor Mod. it may suit you, mostly with his "transparent" shield. It is a light armor very shiny. The Stats are nice.

If you are a heavy hitter, then for RP purpose, I would choose a "priest" follower, like the one from the Shrine of Azura. Be careful that she tends to cast fireball and hit you with it though.

Kalin of High Rock

Faal Lun Vahdin
Traditionally, priests use cloth. A paladin or cleric would wear armor. A robe with flesh armor would be ideal. I wouldn't pick up a shield, but I would grab a ward in the left hand, the better wards even add armor when they're used.

You'd lack a punch, but with the new Dawnguard spells you would be tearing up the Undead as well as any destruction mage. For fighting non-undead, you would be stuck with a follower. But that's sort of the traditional role of the priest. A support character, keeping their flock alive with the power of their faith while they do the heavy lifting.

-Restoration
-Alteration
-Illusion
-One hand
-Enchantment
-Alchemy

So what divine are you a priest of? Imperial, running around womping undead with a hammer, I want to say Stendar. As for priestly garb, there's an actual "Priest Robe" in the game. Can't get more priestly than that, I think.

Priest of Whom? There's 9 Aedra, and 16 Daedra, so you might want to start with who you're praying for.

Stendarr is easy, Imperial, Robes of Resto, Steel Plate boots, and Gauntlets, and a good Shield. (Ysgramor's is the best.)

Mehrunes Dagon: Either Mystic robes, or full Daedric, guess which weapon?

Molag Baal: Mace of "Please don't hit me with that," Black Hooded Robes of Peerless Illusion (Mind Control) Thalmor, or Ebony Boots, and Gloves.

Noctournal: Nightingale Armor, Blade, and Bow.

Mara: Novice Robes of Restoration/Hood, AoM, no weapons, nor armor. Primary spell: Healing Hands. Probably Imperial for the Voice of the Emperor. Maybe Illusion to hand cast Calm.

Kyne/areth: Redguard, Rahgot, AoK, Drainheart Sword, or Volendrung, probably Scaled Armor.

Meridia: Dawnbreaker, Altmer (golden Skin) Guilded armor/wristguards, Turn/Bane of the Undead, Guardian Circle, Fire magic, Staff of the Flame Wall...

And so forth. Unless you're talking the old AD&D Cleric, see Stendarr: above.

Great info! I'm thinking Stendarr for my divine
Then look at the Vigilants, and the Lore. NO CONJURATION, all of that comes from the Plane of Oblivion, which is why you see the Vigis always beating up Atronachs, Skeletons, Conjurers, and Necromancers. Not like Meridia on the Undead, but if it's Daedra, that's your berserk button. His Amulet/Shrine fortifies Block, so I'd say a Shield is Mandatory. If you can find something to disenchant with Banishing, enchant your mace with it, and Turn Undead wouldn't be a bad secondary. The only Conjuration Spell you'd use is Banish, but as it's Adept, I have no idea how you'd get high enough to buy it, much less cast it. Also, His aspect is Mercy, so Healing Hands might be a nice blessing. To bad there's not a Cure Disease spell too. I've noticed a lot of the VoS's wear Robes of Alteration, mostly to augment their armor, so that may be a good choice too, with Detect spells to train up.

[edit]Just read the build, and I'd defenitely change it to Heavy Armor, and Block since it's Stendarr. You'll be wearing His amulet anyway, might as well use it. Didn't realize there was a way to use 2 stones, Atronach/Lord is too stompy! Maybe Spellbreaker, so you can use Ward Absorb instead, and the Lord for Magic Resistance, and more armor.

Skyrim Perk Calculator - Plan the perks for your Skyrim character before spending them!

Dragon Kin

Dovah Fen Ni Dii
There's been mixed feelings on armor type though i still can't decide.

Light armor - elven, glass, eventually getting the ancient falmer armor or dawn guard armor (or both)

Heavy armor - steel, dwarven?( it's bright and shiny), ebony? (too dark?), heavy dawnguard armor.

Clothing.- priest robes

Also will be wearing an enchanted circlet and eventually the aetherial crown.

I can't choose!

ShadowGambit

I would go Heavy armor, and get Ebony Armor, with a circlet or a hood/cowl.

As you are using Ebony Mace, then you will get Ebony Smithing anyway. You will need Juggernaut 5/5 because you won't use crafted fortify smithing potions. Even so, you will need at least 50% Fortify smithing potion to reach the armor cap. Well-fitted and Matching set are no use, because you are wearing a circlet or a hood/cowl.

There's been mixed feelings on armor type though i still can't decide.
Light armor - elven, glass, eventually getting the ancient falmer armor or dawn guard armor (or both)
Heavy armor - steel, dwarven?( it's bright and shiny), ebony? (too dark?), heavy dawnguard armor.
Clothing.- priest robes
Also will be wearing an enchanted circlet and eventually the aetherial crown.
I can't choose!
I went with the Robes, and heavy Boots/Gloves because it's lore friendly. There's no reason you Have to go for the armor cap, especially when you can reach nearly the same protection level with Ebonyflesh, or Dragonskin. (Over armor. It layers, so you can actually get higher than 80% protection.) And finally, if you're not getting killed, you have enough protection. Restoration makes it so you don't need as much armor with healing in combat, and Block helps a lot here too. Not every build has to be a tank, there are other ways to play.

I don't know anything about the armor availible from Dawnguard, I've been avoiding spoilers as much as possible. All I've heard of is an improved set of Falmer Charus Chiton armor, which probably wouldn't do.

Xarnac

Priests (mostly) wear robes in ES. The reason I asked if your on PC is because you can/should use the player.setrace command at creation to turn your priest into the "elder race". The Elder race in game is like what the Greybeards and Esbern are. They look older than what you can do in character creation.

You should play how you want, but I'd personally go something like:

Restoration, Alteration, Onehanded, Enchanting, Speechcraft.

Something like that.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts