PC Help! I can't attack at all. [Glitch]

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Has this happened to you before?

• Total voters

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Okay, so some backstory.

I had been screwing around with TFC (Toggle free camera) and changing the weather (although I doubt this is the cause of it) and when I quickloaded, I realized that I couldn't draw my weapon (my bow or my sword). I could draw them with R, but not with clicking. Furthermore, I couldn't attack at all. I tried loading a save to before I had messing with console to no avail.

P.S. While I was freeflying, I went to the Morrowind/Dawnguard gate to check it out, and eventually had to turn back when it was glitching out.

Any help would be appreciated since I can't even play the game anymore.

EDIT: I logged onto Skyrim just now and it works just fine. Not sure if it's from deleting a few mods or if it fixed itself. Anyway, could a mod lock this thread? It's served its purpose.

Unit7

Yeah I have had this glitch or something very similar before. I can't attack and I can barely get my weapons out. This can be a real pain in the ass when a few enemies are seconds from bashing your head in with a warhammer.

But the thing is. I don't remember how I fix it. Sometimes I die and it gets fixed. Sometimes I unequip my swords, equip my bow, and then equip my swords again. Sometimes for the bow if I bash then it works.

But not sure if this is the same glitch you are experiencing.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Yeah I have had this glitch or something very similar before. I can't attack and I can barely get my weapons out. This can be a real pain in the ass when a few enemies are seconds from bashing your head in with a warhammer.

But the thing is. I don't remember how I fix it. Sometimes I die and it gets fixed. Sometimes I unequip my swords, equip my bow, and then equip my swords again. Sometimes for the bow if I bash then it works.

But not sure if this is the same glitch you are experiencing.

Either way, it's fixed.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Damn it, I wish I had actually said how it got fixed. It's happening again.

On further inspection apparently I did say how I fixed it.

Morgan

I sometimes get this. It sounds stupid, but I can usually fix it by going into and out of hiding a few times.

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Dear me,

If you're reading this, it's because you've found yourself in this predicament once again, and googled it, only to find this. Here's how to fix it.

Quit the game.

Brian78

Hi all I am having the same glitch, I can't cast spells, any of them, can't attack at all. I also tried to sneak and even transform into Vampire lord and back out to fix it, but none of this worked. I tried dying, loading a earlier save, and nothing fixes it.

I do want to mention that I have NO MODS whatsoever other than the Dawnguard expansion, so MODS is not the problem, if it were the problem I could attack.

Other forums have claimed that by deleting your dawngaurd Expansion and then reinstalling it, you can fix it, however I don't even know how to do that. Also other forums have claimed that going to an earlier dawnguard load fixes it, and again, I can't confirm because I have no clue how to do that either.

The developers of Dawnguard should be the ones to fix this. Obviously it has NOTHING to do with having other mods, and it has everything to do with Dawnguard itself.

Good luck.

AS88

Staff member
I've experienced this before. On PS3. Will my misery ever end?

Chowder138

Proud member of PAHAAA.
Hi all I am having the same glitch, I can't cast spells, any of them, can't attack at all. I also tried to sneak and even transform into Vampire lord and back out to fix it, but none of this worked. I tried dying, loading a earlier save, and nothing fixes it.

I do want to mention that I have NO MODS whatsoever other than the Dawnguard expansion, so MODS is not the problem, if it were the problem I could attack.

Other forums have claimed that by deleting your dawngaurd Expansion and then reinstalling it, you can fix it, however I don't even know how to do that. Also other forums have claimed that going to an earlier dawnguard load fixes it, and again, I can't confirm because I have no clue how to do that either.

The developers of Dawnguard should be the ones to fix this. Obviously it has NOTHING to do with having other mods, and it has everything to do with Dawnguard itself.

Good luck.

Try exiting the game and relaunching it. That fixes it for me.

Brian78

Ok so i just found a so called solution for the Steam PC version of Skyrim. HOWEVER I HAVE NOT TRIED IT YET SO I CANT CONFIRM IT.

The following below is from another Skyrim forum.

Etharin posted...
It's possible that Steam failed to overwrite or download something properly when you installed Dawnguard. Try verifying your game cache by right clicking the game on your Steam Library and choosing "Properties", then on the "Local Files" tab selecting "Verify Integrity of Game Cache". Make sure that you are running Steam with Admin privileges if you aren't already before you do it.​

Thank you both for the help I check steam and it miss 5 files from the download but moving dawngroud did not work but I put it in abc order now everything works right.

Brian78

I did exit it before I decided to come here and post. I have tried hiding back and form, dying, sleeping, changing to vamp lord and back, and nothing worked. I've been trying to work on this for about an hour and a half now.

Also as an update, I did verify all my files from Steam and they were all working and uploaded. :sadface: So that means the above "help fix" that i posted isn't working for me.

Ryan1612

It's happen on the first dawnguard mission when you use the button to free Serena if you have your weapons drawn when you use you can't attack afterwards so put your weapons away before using the button and it'll be fine

Mwhals

You do know this is almost a four year old thread?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

ColdNoah

i got this glitch while in free cam mode i had a quick save and i was fusrodahing lydia of the throat of the world and in free cam mode it showed press e to talk to lydia i pressed it as a joke and now its broken

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts