• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Whitecap123

Ok so I play on pc, and the game runs fine up until the battle in Auriels chapel. I can make it through the first time the frozen falmers break out, but after that the game crashes. It's never crashed before, and I run alot of mods, but non of them have ever afected the game before. Does anybody know what could be going on?

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
I don't have a PC, but I can almost guarantee that the people here that do have Skyrim on PC will tell you the same thing: It's most likely your mods. If you have a ton of them and have a lot of Falmer jumping out, maybe your computer or game just spazzed out. I've read tons of forums and blogs on the pros and cons of mods and crashing is unfortunately one of the cons. However, since I don't have Skyrim on PC I can't exactly help you track down which mods are affecting you...

Could you list all the mods you use? I'm sure someone will help you shortly. Sorry I couldn't be of anymore help. :sadface: This is a reminder though, mods are awesome, but just like the base game, they can cause problems. Sometimes often, sometimes it's rare. But things can get screwy. Just the norm with mods.

Whitecap123

I thought I'd fixed it, but I was wrong. it seemed to be working fine after I set over half of the mods to not load and only kept the essential ones, but after a few minutes it crashed. I have ALOT of mods. is there anyway people can just see my mods on steam? instead of me needing to list all of them?

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Steam skyrim? Try verifying game cache the Game might be missing essential files. Properties and look for verify cache.

Otherwise no idea, perhaps do a complete reinstall but backup files and mods first.
Locating issues are best approached by going back a few steps.

Last edited:

Whitecap123

I've verified the game cache and it's still crashing. I've deleted a whole bunch of mods I rarely use in case I had too many. what else can I do o try to fix this?

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
It's not just on the PC. Inevitably my PS3 version will freeze when you're trying to exit those chambers to go outside and fight the dude (sorry - it's been a long time). No matter how many times I reload it happens.

I am always so happy when it finally allows me to go through!

GlacialDoom

Try reverting to a previous save, before the crash occured. If this doesn't help either, try lowering your resolution and/or graphics settings. If this doesn't work either, try the nuclear option: uninstall the game and reinstall it.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Ok so I play on pc, and the game runs fine up until the battle in Auriels chapel. I can make it through the first time the frozen falmers break out, but after that the game crashes. It's never crashed before, and I run alot of mods, but non of them have ever afected the game before. Does anybody know what could be going on?
Used to happen to me all the time. I'm on PS3 by the way.

My solution:
1) turn off all auto-save functions (it autosaves just before you're about to head out of the chapel to where the waystation is whether you want it to or not and that's where I always froze).
2) make sure your inventory is as low as possible (just your weapons and armor that you're going to need - just unload all your crap in to one of the containers in that hallway before you go outside - sometimes I even go back for it)
3) if all else fails - autosave, just before you head outside then literally turn off your machine and reboot it and load that save.

It's always an issue for me at that point, but, I've found that, if I wait until I'm over level 81 before I go there it runs more smoothly (oddly - since glitches and freezes happen so much more often once your save is above 14mb, but, hey, what can you do).

Let me know if any of that works for you.

Oh! And one other method I've found. Just skip the entire interior all together (don't wake up any falmer, don't loot anything, just run through - you can always come back later for the last paragon crystal). There's something about that interior that just screws everything up. Don't know what it is.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts