• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Ive got 2 characters at the moment. A lv. 26 Kajhiit Theif, and a lv. 16 Orc Tank. Both are fun in their own way but ive seen some youtube vids of people with Heavy Mages. Enchanted Daedric wearing dual casting Mages. They look very bad ass! So id like to give it a go. But im after some tips in the perks trees to help me out planning the build!

Q1. Do I go heavy armour straight away? or stick with robes till a certain level then drop some bulk points into heavy/smithing? I was thinking of making some mildly enchanted Dwarven armour early + the extra 25% protection from the Ancient Knowledge Quest reward. And sticking with that till later in the game when I can go some massive double enchanted Daedric Armour with 100% Destruction/Conjuration reduction so I can just spam summon's and master level dual casting with no worries about my magic. Good idea?

Q3. Id like to end up simply using destruction and conjuration as my full offensive. But early in the game I may struggle with this? Should I try to start out as a Battlemage (one-handed or bound weapons+destruction) then as I get further into it (lv. 20ish?) And start really dropping perks into Destruction and stop using my one-handed so much?

Q3. Restoration or Alchemy for healing? (remember ill need Alchemy later for smithing potions for huge armour bonuses when upgrading Daedric armour).

Q4... anything else?

Regards,
Su8tle.

Mabe

At lvl 16 your Orc is fairly young. You should have a good start on battle skills and be able to start working on magic with a sword as backup.

Dvalin

I'd go with a descent pair of robes with enchants already on them until your enchanting is at a good level, then switch immediately to heavy. You want to level heavy armor as early as possible, so if you find you're not having a mana problem there is no reason not to go heavy strait away.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
At lvl 16 your Orc is fairly young. You should have a good start on battle skills and be able to start working on magic with a sword as backup.

Ive already dumped a heap of points into 2 handed with him, it'd be a bit counter productive. particularlly down the line when the perks spent in 2 handed could be in destruction/conjuration. Im happy to start again, probably with a dark elf? +10 destruction to being with and resistance to fire.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
I'd go with a descent pair of robes with enchants already on them until your enchanting is at a good level, then switch immediately to heavy. You want to level heavy armor as early as possible, so if you find you're not having a mana problem there is no reason not to go heavy strait away.

Good points, im happy to make a up a mildly enchanted dwarven armour to get me through the tough mid game part. With maybe some destruction/conjuration reduction (not heaps as ill be only lower levels enchanting). and maybe some extra mana regen on a ring and necklace.

ItsBenniBlack

Mehti Oba
man there is no wrong way to play or build, trial and error. try things out, have fun.

Su8tle

The Shadow of Elsweyr
Ok, ive started. Dark Elf Heavy Mage. Bit of a tricky build early on, but will own all later on I think. Only lv.3 and just cleared bleak falls barrow. Of my 3 characters this was the easiest to run through. I'm using a follower till I get some better offense (Sven as a damage sponge in heavy with a hammer). But once I'll get rid of him once I get some summon spells (although he's handy as a cargo carrier in dungeons!). Using a combo of buffed mages robes with heavy armour at the moment but will disenchant later and add to some crafted dwarven armour. Was using one handed with flames but used my 2nd perk for dual casting which means no need for sword/axe anymore. Pretty decent damage on everything!

Necromis

I actually found my sneak archer/assassin the easiest one to make it thru there, but I also was alone so I didn't have to worry about my follower rushing ahead and waking the durgr before I sniped them dead. That being said, I have started a tank mage last friday and I find that still having the bound blade with mystic perk a good back up and way to raise conjure skill.

Swordsmansmith

I want to make a battlemage staff/spell user. Ultimate goal being dragon plate with fortify magic enchantments. Im thinking of being dragon a breton. Early on college robes with heavy armor boots gauntlets and helmet. Until I can go full heavy armor. Tips appreciated, im a noob at magic using characters.

Jaeger

I want to make a battlemage staff/spell user. Ultimate goal being dragon plate with fortify magic enchantments. Im thinking of being dragon a breton. Early on college robes with heavy armor boots gauntlets and helmet. Until I can go full heavy armor. Tips appreciated, im a noob at magic using characters.

Bretons can cap out the Magic Resistance. A native 25, the lord stone 25, Agent of Mara 15 (play matchmaker to 3 couples), Alteration magic resistance perk x2 (but only the first two since MR caps at 85%). Without the Lord stone and getting Alteration's MR x3 it would be 70. Take a rinky-dinky 15% potion or a cheap 15% magic item when fighting mages, dragons, etc to hit the 85 cap.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts