• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Torok

Is Hearthfire really all that great? I mean I hear it's got all these glitches and stuff. I'm a family oriented sort of gamer, so most of my characters have a spouse or a lover. So is Hearthfire worth the buy?

Kal

Owner - The Tamriel Traveler
I would say yes. If you're family oriented especially, because you can adopt up to two kids. It's nice to craft your own home, and for $5, having all the crafting stuff right there in one place, smithing, alchemy, enchanting, totally worth it. Plus you can create mannequins to display all of your favorite armors.

TheLonelyWolve

My precious
Seriously, it's not worth it.

IT'S MORE THAN WORTH IT!!!

Thorn

In the Hist we trust
I would say so, for its price it is very much so

Karen

boop.
Well, I mean, it's only 5 bucks, and if you're a family-oriented player I think it's worth it. Personally, I just went on a house-building frenzy once and adopted two kids, but I find that I rarely go home now because there's really not much to do after you build the house, and interactions with the kids are quite limited.

Reactions: Kal

Iveri Sarothil

Initially, I wasn't terribly interested because I figured child adoptions would be like marriage - limited interactions and loss of all personality (R.I.P, Farkas's Personality). That, and I'd already fallen in love with a few player homes. But I did grab it sometime last weekend when I was doing my reinstall. The house thing is pretty creative, and while I wish there were more options, you get a nice, non-laggy home of your own built by your own hand wherever you want it. Definitely a good option if you'd rather not live in a city or have to climb a hundred steps up to Vrindel Hall every day.

I mean, if it were over five bucks, I'd say no, it's not worth it. But it's a good little expansion for those players who'd like a family.

Reactions: Kal

wrighty

Thalmor 3rd Emissary
Is Hearthfire really all that great? I mean I hear it's got all these glitches and stuff. I'm a family oriented sort of gamer, so most of my characters have a spouse or a lover. So is Hearthfire worth the buy?
If you roleplay it is, otherwise it's probably not worth buying and doesn't add much.
Don't get me wrong I love hearthfire because I roleplay characters like alchemists, vampires etc and it's great if your doing a playthrough where you avoid the main settlements.
But if your the type that primarily dungeon delves and just uses the homes a storage then it's not really going to benefit you, otherwise i highly recommend it!

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
I said before in another thread that in my opinion, we did not need 3 more houses but just one. One house that you could build anywhere you want with more customizable options. It is a pity that the house in Solitude does come with a Smithing area being the most expensive one, otherwise, that would be my ONLY house.
I built only one house, the one in Morthal ! The reason why is because I do love the Fish Hatchery cause I do not have to be looking anymore for those fishes that you need for your restoration potion. I also like they are coming with a Smithing area but I think the Alchemy, Enchanting and Smithing should be together so they are related to each other, instead going upstair to create potion and enchanting them, and then go down in the cellar to do your smithing. I also don't see the use of a library, greenhouse and storage room. You do have plenty of bookshelves, a garden outside and a lot of chest, safe, barrels and dressers to keep everything you need.
I don't like the Divine Shrine to be in the cellar. It should be in the back room of the main hall. Also, instead having an Elf head on the top wall, how about a dragon head instead ?
I do like Hearthfire if you are starting to play Skyrim because you have the option to build your own house and don't have the need to buy any house in any city ( except for the one in Whiterun bc you need to buy that house from the beginning of the game if you want to storage every single item that you collect ) but if you already are a Thane and have the 6 houses ( including the one in Solstheim ), then I guess you don't need another 3 houses. Regardless, Heartfire should let you build only one and not three in my opinion. Instead being a landlord and have 9 houses, I would prefer to have only one with everything in it, like a palace for the dragonborn.

Asiaxfani

I too would say that for 5 bucks, sure. I think they just marketed it wrong, because there really is no freedom in creating your home. I agree with orca45, a chance to build a custom kick-ass palace for the Dovahkiin would be something I'd love to see. We console players don't have much room for creativity otherwise.

That being said, I personally would've paid 5 bucks for Hearthfire even if marketed as what it is: 3 new homes and some new features. And I don't even care about the adopting. For more money, it wouldn't be worth it, but for that price, why not?

orca45

What we do in life, echoes in the eternity !
For $5, Hearthfire is worth it. Don't get me wrong. My main house is in Morthal and not any of the ones you get by being a Thane, bc this house in Morthal has everything that I need and the Fish Hatchery which is very useful for Alchemy, but it does look to me that Bethesda could have done better and beside, it does look like they do not have a quality assurance team to make sure everything is working as it should before they throw it to us.

TheHrdee

King seahorse of all !
If you play it on PC, I'd say no because there are mods for these kind of things. However, If your on console like me then it's definitely worth it. I've played on this for days upon days and I don't regret my decision. Trust me, it's brilliant. A few glitches and bugs occur, but I got over it :)

Asiaxfani

If you play it on PC, I'd say no because there are mods for these kind of things. However, If your on console like me then it's definitely worth it. I've played on this for days upon days and I don't regret my decision. Trust me, it's brilliant. A few glitches and bugs occur, but I got over it :)

Yeah! I forgot to mention this. TheHrdee is right, if you're a PC player then definately not. Like he said, there are mods for these kind of things, and then some.

Oh, and welcome to the forums, TheHrdee :)

Kaige

I thought it was pretty cool. I did get frustrated with it at first because I had to keep traveling around to grab supplies to build the house with and there was never enough at each stop, but... it is very creative in the sense you have to build it on your own, and when its finished, its quite lovely. And the fact that you have three locations outside the cities to build it is nice, since they have different settings.

Yes, I think it was worth it. Adopting the kids is pretty awesome too. The few bugs I encountered are a bit aggravating but you get by.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts