• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

What's your current opinion of Hearthfire?

• Total voters
Regarding the conjurer...I killed her (was a she for me) from my porch, and thought "cool! respawning target practice!" but she never spawned again. Maybe I got lucky? Or unlucky?

My apiary isn't spawning bees or honeycombs. :sadface: With my first character, I built it and then harvested everything out of it. But then I restocked it, because that's suppose to make it spawn again, but it never did, so i thought maybe I glitched it by harvested it before it began spawning. I did however have bees spawn inside my greenhouse, but only two at a time (and often one would be hovering in the main hall).

But I built one with a different character and left it. My garden is thriving, but the apiary has yet to spawn any bees or honeycombs.

Sounds like it might be a glitch. Hve you tried placing bees into the Apiary and then waiting a few in-game days?

Garrison

Absolutely love the concept, but wish it weren't as limiting as it is... would love to have more wings and rooms. Why do I have to choose? As long as you have the time and money, let me build to my content!

Same with the livestock... One cow? Allow me more cows! Maybe they can make baby cows to raise/sell?

How a bout an exterior wall to surround the property?
And then the option to plant foliage within your property?

Houses are expensive to keep... how about recurring costs that need to be paid monthly? Now you have to keep your coffers filled in order to maintain the house! Taxes anyone? The amount based on the improvements you've made, of course.

Can you rename your property?

Am still exploring this add-on, and enjoying it... but there are so many possibilities that would be great to see implemented in the future.

PS. In summary, how many people can you have at your property? A steward, a bard, a carriage, a wife, two kids... and a follower?

Where's the vote for, "It's pretty cool, or would be if it worked, but it's so buggy it makes me want to cry"? Seriously, even by Bethesda's standards... Did they even playtest this once?

So now there are walls blocking off all of my wings. But doors too...but the doors open, and there's a wall there. Dwalls, if you will. The wings are still there--I can get into them using tcl. There just happen to be walls in the doorways. The door to the balcony above the bedroom still takes you to the outside, but before the loading screen appears, the door disappears to reveal a wall.

** MINOR SPOILERS **

I can't seem to move my wife and kids to my house in Solstheim. Anyone have any ideas, or is that option just not available?

MF Punk

The display cases are working as intended? I guess they figured thats how cases worked back then, don't fix it if ain't broke i suppose. I like it, i can put my books and plants and what not in whatever order.

I'm enjoying it thoroughly though. The only problem are the giant attacks, which i KNOW will kill my horse one day.
I'm probably going to get some kind of bad glitch just based off experience, none so far though.

Zanarkand

Premium Member
I didn't really have any issues once the initial launch patching was over until I installed Hearthfire, but I love it so much I'm just trying to deal with the seemingly random freezes and crashes. Just last night my game froze completely after I put a piece of "Vampire Royal Armor" on one of my mannequins in my Winstad Manor in Hjaalmarch. I'm like what....? Before that it was buggy work benches. I also have piles of ashes from creatures that Serana has rezzed when we get attacked outside the house. They can't be looted and they never disappear even after i cleared the game cache. Come to think about it, there were a pair of already dead draugr outside that have been there since my first visit to the site. I finally drug them down to the water where they lie polluting my fishery. :p. I had thought they might float away... Yeah, no. They remain there into perpetuity. :). Even still, I wouldn't want to uninstall Hearthfire. I just hope that the devs continue to work out the glitches.

Edit: I don't mind dealing with the giants, but they are killing all my chickens and now I only have one little guy left and no option to purchase more from my incredibly rude steward. :-/

Saozig

Hippy
Edit: I don't mind dealing with the giants, but they are killing all my chickens and now I only have one little guy left and no option to purchase more from my incredibly rude steward. :-/

Who is your steward so I know not to ask him/her to be mine? :D

I had an issue of a pack of wolves that had attacked a deer on my property and then attack me--their carcasses and the deer's won't disappear so I dragged all the wolves (four of them) out of house range. Then they and the deer were gone the next day.

Sadly that wouldn't work for the ash piles.

Zanarkand

Premium Member
Who is your steward so I know not to ask him/her to be mine? :D

I had an issue of a pack of wolves that had attacked a deer on my property and then attack me--their carcasses and the deer's won't disappear so I dragged all the wolves (four of them) out of house range. Then they and the deer were gone the next day.

Sadly that wouldn't work for the ash piles.

My steward is Uthgerd the Unbroken. She's... interesting to live with. :p I originally picked her because I was afraid that the giant that kept coming would kill one of my favorite followers if I appointed them and she is precisely NOT one of my faves and thus got the position. The thing is... she doesn't ever seem to be around when anything attacks. Like never. My housecarl Valdimar never showed up until a long time later when I visited Morthal and he suddenly ran up to me and announced that he was my housecarl. Ever since then he patrols the perimeter of my house and there is no option to make him steward since I have Uthgerd. So essentially, I have TWO guards, neither of whom are ever there when the giant attacks. He always shows up right next to my animal pen and immediately attacks my remaining cow and remaining chicken. I have already reloaded after he one-shotted my poor cow, and I still have my one chicken left.

Aha! I have actually started to run away from my housing site when Serana has summoned something so that it dies off-premises because then her ash piles disappear. I should definitely try dragging the draugrs farther off. I bet they will disappear at least, even if I am now stuck with 3 ash piles, lol. Thanks for sharing the wolf carcass thing because for some reason I didn't make the connection. :D

Saozig

Hippy
My steward is Uthgerd the Unbroken. She's... interesting to live with. :p I originally picked her because I was afraid that the giant that kept coming would kill one of my favorite followers if I appointed them and she is precisely NOT one of my faves and thus got the position. The thing is... she doesn't ever seem to be around when anything attacks. Like never. My housecarl Valdimar never showed up until a long time later when I visited Morthal and he suddenly ran up to me and announced that he was my housecarl. Ever since then he patrols the perimeter of my house and there is no option to make him steward since I have Uthgerd. So essentially, I have TWO guards, neither of whom are ever there when the giant attacks. He always shows up right next to my animal pen and immediately attacks my remaining cow and remaining chicken. I have already reloaded after he one-shotted my poor cow, and I still have my one chicken left.

Aha! I have actually started to run away from my housing site when Serana has summoned something so that it dies off-premises because then her ash piles disappear. I should definitely try dragging the draugrs farther off. I bet they will disappear at least, even if I am now stuck with 3 ash piles, lol. Thanks for sharing the wolf carcass thing because for some reason I didn't make the connection. :D

Oh I have Uthgerd already for my Bosmer's Lakeview Manor. She's gruff, indeed, but she gets the job done. I wish they had programmed her to stop saying "Keep walking, soft-gut" after you hire her as steward (and given her more random lines to say) but I haven't had any problems with her otherwise.

I do have an issue with Rayya not being around when there's a random attack. But at least since I got her the random attacks have been much fewer.

The display cases are working as intended? I guess they figured thats how cases worked back then, don't fix it if ain't broke i suppose. I like it, i can put my books and plants and what not in whatever order.

I'm enjoying it thoroughly though. The only problem are the giant attacks, which i KNOW will kill my horse one day.
I'm probably going to get some kind of bad glitch just based off experience, none so far though.

Here I am thinking the display cases were broken. And those giant attacks are extremely annoying, though they nly occur in Falkreath. I've never had a giant attack in Hjaalmarch, just Draugr, a lot of Draugr. No attackks in The Pale yet, though.

And just for the record, good to know I'm not the only WWE fan on here. :p

Absolutely love the concept, but wish it weren't as limiting as it is... would love to have more wings and rooms. Why do I have to choose? As long as you have the time and money, let me build to my content!

Same with the livestock... One cow? Allow me more cows! Maybe they can make baby cows to raise/sell?

How a bout an exterior wall to surround the property?
And then the option to plant foliage within your property?

Houses are expensive to keep... how about recurring costs that need to be paid monthly? Now you have to keep your coffers filled in order to maintain the house! Taxes anyone? The amount based on the improvements you've made, of course.

Can you rename your property?

Am still exploring this add-on, and enjoying it... but there are so many possibilities that would be great to see implemented in the future.

PS. In summary, how many people can you have at your property? A steward, a bard, a carriage, a wife, two kids... and a follower?

I will admit that I don't like the limitations on building very much, especially not being able to change the wings that you build. I also don't get why you only get one cow. Thee's also no calves from what I've seen, unless you count the Netch Calves in Dragonborn.

JoeReese

I agree, and let me put things where I want them. Instead of giving us three wings with three potential uses, why not give us three spaces with nine potential uses and let us choose?

I'd really like to be able to place safes, tables, weapons plaques, etc., where I want them. If I build an enchanter, I'd like to be able to place trunks, bins, or something nearby for storage, rather than just deal with their collection of seemingly random sacks. Same with the alchemy lab, forge, etc., and who the hell would build useless barrels that hold nothing???

If I am more into weapons than I am mounted mudcrabs, why can I not fill the walls with shields and swords? I'd really, really like to see them stop half-assing things and really let players enjoy the game. There is no reason a lantern needs a 3' force field around it, so you can't put anything else on the table.

We just got this about 4 hours ago, and I've already decided it doesn't do me any more good than any of the other houses do.

You could really set the gaming world on fire here, Bethesda, if you'd stop letting the mailroom clerks do the programming and actually try for some consistency and care.

Gowsh

Old Fart
I really like Hearthfire but there are definitely problems and things I wish were different.

... I really, really like the garden and I LOVE the greenhouse so to grow most of the stuff (not all--seriously, why can't I grow garlic?) that I like to use. And I like all the storage space (yes the storage room is kind of pointless, since you have more than plenty of storage in the rest of the house.

Now for my completely self-indulgent whinefest about what I wish was different (beyond glitches):

-the book you get for building your house says if you make a mistake you can change it. So I thought that meant if I added a wing and then didn't like it, I could remodel like I did with the entranceway. Very annoyed that I can't. Also I think not being able to remodel takes some of the fun out of building your own house. It's my house--why can't I remodel it?

-the trophy room IMO sucks. Statues of draugr and hargravens are ugly. Waste of space and materials. Hate that I cannot remodel this wing.

... the dog goes into the west wing (my greenhouse) and barks, tries to walk through the wall and displays his health bar like he's in combat.

-I hate that in order to get bookshelves (at least for Lakeside Manor--not sure about other houses) I would have had to devote an entire wing for a library.

-I have a similar complaint as with the hold houses you can buy: I want shelves that are more interactive. I hate the whole dragging things into place because with the Xbox 360 controller, that just doesn't work so well. Also not happy with having to drop/drag things into the display cases.

-the cellar is so dark. Even with the screen lightness adjusted, I can't see the stuff down there unless as I cast a mage light spell. Needs more lighting!

-I wish the NPCs that you bring to your house--kids, spouse, dog, steward, etc.--would interact with each other. I'd love to come home to my kids playing with the dog or fighting with each other. Too much to ask for?

Amen to just about all of that!

I built the trophy room where wifey and the kids live (by Solitude) in order to keep the brats "scared straight." Worked so far. :)

I'm on Xbox also, and when I tried to place a statue of Dibella in my "man cave" near Whiterun, my only option was to pick it up by the bottom and have the rest dangle. This made the process of trying to set it somewhere upright (and do it a couple more times until the house realizes you're serious) was way, way more frustration than I was interested in experiencing. Too bad.

One time, I came home and the kids were having an argument, for which I was given a couple of options on how to break up. Maybe it's because I have 2 girls.;)

I love the story about the dog. Just like IRL. It's a feature, not a bug. Sort of.

My biggest complaint, though, is that Lakeview manor is unusable. Whenever I enter, the game crashes.

King o' the Britains

Supreme Commander of Elite Awesomeness
I am still wanting a skeever attack. Sounds cool and there are ABSOLUTELY NO VIDEOS OF ONE!!!!

Wildroses

I've never once seen the dialogue option: "How are the kids?" in any of my games.

Just a minor curiosity. I'm not completely sure I want it fixed as I like Lakeview Manor best, so I won't have to listen to my husband whining about how dangerous it is here (incorrectly, I seem to be the only person on the internet who isn't constantly fighting off invasions).

King o' the Britains

Supreme Commander of Elite Awesomeness
Found a new glitch:
Went to windhellm to: get iron ingots for house, tell wife to move to lakeview, and adopt sofie. i went to my wife and the only dialogue option was to see her store. I WANT HER TO GO TO LAKEVIEW!!!!!!!

Brent Fischer

I do love the expansion of the role-play element. But I'm so frustrated with the glitches right now I've turned the Playstation off, and am watching TV (which I typically hate).

Here are my biggest beefs:

- Random unenchantment of enchanted weapons/apparel: stuff that I've enchanted. It was enchanted when I used it. It was enchanted when I saved. I start the PS3 up again, and now it isn't enchanted, or behaves like it needs to be charged with a soul gem (but cannot be charged). Apparel that I pick up was enchanted when in the container where I left it; after picking it up, it reverts to unenchanted status.

- Dog malfunction: if I don't continually tell the dog to follow me and wait here, he waits at the door and rushes out whenever anyone opens it, never to be seen again.

- Smithing malfunction: the game seems to have forgotten that I have 100% of the smithing perks. It won't allow me to smith up anything; it takes multiple reboots to get smithing to work again. (I believe this has been documented before, as the "use the forge and the wheel/armorer's bench become unusable" reported bug.)

- Limited items to give kids: too much money! How the heck am I supposed to spend it if I can't spoil my kids? And WHY are daggers appropriate gifts? Seriously? Why not jewelry? (Although I love when the girls beat the hell out of that child's practice dummy in the basement...such cute little miniature badasses!)

- The display cases that don't allow me to place anything within. An automatic "activate" would be nice for various weapons. Especially since it takes *hours* to manually drop stuff in the zone, and then it falls out of the case whenever I leave the house...

- Honestly, WHY can't we have more weapon racks in the entryway? It's useless space, as it is. Very frustrating.

- Weapon/shield plaques: if you place the two weapons first, it won't allow you to place the shield; if you place the shield first, it won't allow you to place the weapons. The plaque in the bedroom wing (Lakeview Manor, Falkreath hold) places the two weapons *above* the shield, clipped partially through the wall. Hasn't fixed itself, no matter what I do.

- I WANT HANDS! I hate not being able to place things where I want to. Most stuff just gets flung behind me, like I'm trying to place things with my feet... I want shelves that work like storage containers, but display the items placed within.

- I agree with TonyRockaroni: would love to adopt more kids! Their stories made me so very sad. And I wish Rayya (housecarl/steward at Lakeview Manor) would interact with them... the only acknowledgement I ever get out of her that there are other living beings there beside me is "stupid dog". NOT what I want to hear from my steward.

- DARK! Need more lights! Seriously! I am old and my eyes just aren't that good!

- Horse: Oh, I have had so many problems with the horse! Here's a minor one: why won't the horse automatically put itself in the stable? Why have the stable if the horse won't go there? Why must I do it manually, and why is doing it manually so very hard?

- Steward fail: I've paid MULTIPLE times for my steward to decorate various rooms -- never has happened. The chickens and cow and horse and lumber show up immediately. Decor: not ever. WTH? My steward is defrauding me!

- Why does it take so long for butter to respawn in the churn and eggs to respawn in the nest in the animal pen? Honestly, this should respawn every day (spoken from the perspective of someone who used to live on a farm). And why is butter so freakin' rare to find for purchase? (Just wishful thinking: I seriously want to watch my housecarl milk the cow. "I am your sword and your shield." Hahahahahaha.)

- Blueprints bug: stuff I've created shows up as items I can create. So I create them. Materials get used... no created items show up. Given how long it takes to collect building materials (I've cleaned Skyrim out of iron and goat horns several times in a row), this just makes my hair catch on fire.

Bethesda! Help us! I love the immersion experience -- but bugs bad enough to make us avoid the game should be addressed! (I know Hearthfire is new on PS3, but you took so long to release it...I was hoping it would be less buggy!)

Wildroses

Aaaand after a long glitch free Hearthfire existence Sofie has disappeared off the face of the planet, and when I talk to Lucia she keeps acting like I walk in on a major fight between the two. I hope Sofie shows up again at some point.

sticky runes

well, the good news is, my ingredients have been re-spawning! (unlike the houses that I bought and refurbished in the cities)

But it is an annoyance having to re-approach the builder's desk when things that I've already built keep showing up.

And this option to pay the steward to add furnishings - is that supposed to be the alternative to building furnishings yourself, or is it just something that's not working properly?

I tried to discharge the bard that my steward hired at Windstad, but she wouldn't leave, so I ended up killing her, which i don't really like doing even to NPCs I dislike, so that was Bethesda's fault for not finding a voice actress who can sing.

and it seems a bit redundant adding alchemy and enchanter labs when we can install the facilities in the main hall anyway.

And why can't we hire a blacksmith to run the forge downstairs? Be nice to have someone to buy metals from so I don't have to make trips to the town (where I normally end up having to wait until morning for the shops to open)

Lakeview seems to be getting a lot of monster troubles. One time I fast travelled there and a fricking giant was standing in the animal pen. I get a lot of wolves nearby as well. And I was just walking to the edge of the property and found a necromancer standing at a bone strewn altar telling me to back off, so I've got bloody dark magic rituals going on in my backyard.

I haven't been able to recruit the housecarl for Lakeview either, because some the quests I've done for people in Falkreath aren't coming up as complete.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts