• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

SPH1

Heljarchen has become my favorite for it's remote, yet central location. This last time I didn't even bother with my cellar, did all my smithing out front on the anvil. One can see for miles and miles. :beermug:

I agree.

I recently tore down Heljarchen Hall (HH) after nearly completing it to try the house mod Elysium Estate - again. But I ran into a couple of problem with the mod* and frankly like the HH location more. So I'm rebuilding HH again.

One problem with these larger homes with tons of storage is that: 1) it would be hard to actually use all containers that can possibly be made, and 2) if I tried to use all I'd likely forget where I put things. I will probably go with just the entry way and main hall for now (my Skyrim book says if three or more rooms you'll get attacks.) Also going with the outside smithing since no cellar for now.

When I nearly completed HH this playthrough (before tearing it down, back a save) I no sooner finished when a giant came literally to the front door in broad daylight. I hesitated, waiting to to see how my wife (Ysolda), daughter (Sofie) and my Steward would react...all of us were in the front yard. Nobody reacted at all for quite awhile! I was especially watching to see how the Steward would react.

Eventually the Steward walked across the yard...still ignoring the giant...when the giant began stomping and waiving his club at the Steward. Eventually the giant clobbered the Steward, smashed him into a cloud of blood and debris. I thought he was dead but nope: he got up and finally began fighting. I joined in and we dispatched the giant. And thankfully, the dead giant rather quickly disappeared from the front yard.

My take-away thought is that the Stewards/House Carls are of limited performance in defending the place.

*Elysium Estate is a fantastic house mod, but I had two problems: 1) my computer is apparently somewhat underpowered to play it easily, as I often lagged inside and loading took noticeably longer than vanilla homes. The mod author recommends a powerful computer. And 2), the house must be in the dragon fly zone next to the Western Watchtower, as I had at least four dragon attacks in quick succession, once by two dragons simultaneously. (Sometimes dragons are just a nuisance.)

Also, in the end, I prefer the location of HH, especially with my horse. Although I also like my current house Hjerim (Windhelm).

Last edited:

Whitewolf2578

If you like to build houses in the middle of nowhere it is worth it. I remember getting this expansion and having no idea how to even start a house, but when I figured it out it was pretty cool. Adds that small RP aspect to the game as you can make some pretty decent houses. You can still have fun in the game without it though, so only buy it if you really like that stuff.

flamingor

It was a nice addition to the game because it gives the players some kind of a family home feel. I bought the game with the Legendary edition features so I pretty much used all the DLCs available. It was fun making the house but got old after a while.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts