• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
I find that, while I buy the properties, it seems a burden to be building them and furnishing them.

My kids are happy in Solitude, I really don't collect all that much and there are forges, smelters and grinders a plenty throughout Skyrim and most of the homes I acquire as Thane (or to be Thane) already have enchanters and alchemy labs.

Is anyone else vaguely dissappointed in Hearthfire? It's so expensive to build anything! It's cheaper just to buy and, if you let your steward do your decorating you'll be waiting around for months before he/she gets them fully furnished.

I will admit that, the homes do end up looking very impressive, but, really, for the expense, does all the work seem worth it?

Me, I think I may just build Hljerchan and leave the rest.

Thoughts anyone?

Atrox

PSN ID: xX-kaotix-Xx
I must admit, I personally enjoyed building the houses. I do agree with you though, its very pricey.

ShadowHunter

I don't really care for Hearthfires, the houses are very expensive to build and it is a pain to build them. I actually wish I hadn't gotten Hearthfires

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Being time consuming would be my only real grumble. I plan to build all the properties to the full extent, as it grants me a great deal of satisfaction when each new house is finished. I also find it very convenient to be able to perform all of my smithing and enchanting within the same building, having all the required supplies within arms reach. Surplus pieces created are stored within arms reach as well, (or a stones throw at the very most distant), ready for use or sale.

I understand that many will have characters that would have no use for such things.

Wildroses

Depends on your personality. I love having something to spend money on, and genuinely enjoy the difficulties of finding all the hard to find items in building, but that's because I love budgeting and the thrill of the chase. Of course you are going to get bored if you just pay your steward to do it then spend ages doing nothing but wait.

I'd have paid $5 for the ability to adopt children. I'd have paid $5 for the ability to build steadings. The fact I got both for $5 makes me feel Hearthfire was well worth it.

sticky runes

I think it's worth it for the housecarls, who become available even if you haven't built the house yet. I'm a followerphile, so I always appreciate having more of them.

Being able to choose your own steward is a nice touch as well, it adds a bit more immersion for me. Candidates are very restricted, though.

With the garden and greenhouse you can mass produce your favourite potions.

If you choose not to fast travel (which is the play style I've gone for lately) then the carriage driver is a very useful feature. and these guys will take you to the milling, farming and mining villages as well, not just the major holds.

I'm not a fan of adoption, so that might as well not exist to me.

The two female bards are awful, I only ever recruit Llewellyn. I think it would have been better if we could choose a bard from the college or one of the taverns, similar to how we choose a steward, instead of these new bards.

There are plenty of other things I'd like to have seen added, but considering how cheap Hearthfire was, I'd say it's not a bad deal at all.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
For what it cost, it added a lot to the role playing aspect of the game. Though I'd rather build my house somewhere else, or have the ability to rebuild a ruined one, and maybe sell them.

I like hearthfirre, but if I didn't get it, I wouldn't be bothered.

It's one of those nice additions, but if I went back in time, I probably wouldn't buy it again.

I like building and filling the library with books from apocrypha, and the trophy rooms looks beast when you finally get all the parts, but other than that it's just averagely nice.

You're right though, getting specific materials is a hassle.

I've built Lakeview and Hljerchan completely, might as well build the final one for the xbox achievement.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
I really like Hearthfire. Not just because I like building the houses and adopting children, but because it adds so much more to your overall game. New food items, crafting items, pets, as well as achievements and trophies.

When I first got it I went berserk and built all three houses. Now, depending on my character, I only build one house and live exclusively in it. My favourite is Lakeview Manor, a good family home, then The Pale house and then kooky old Windstad manor for my more creepy characters.

I usually purchase one of the smaller pre-set homes first. Usually Breezehome. Then wait until I've built up a good amount of money and then buy the land and build. Then move all my stuff and family to the new house when it's fully finished.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
For what it cost, it added a lot to the role playing aspect of the game. Though I'd rather build my house somewhere else, or have the ability to rebuild a ruined one, and maybe sell them.

A selection of different plots of land in each hold would have been a great addition, as well as being able to sell your other houses back.

They also could have made each house in the different holds look different and not a carbon copy of the others. Like, a large log house or something like that. OH! And have snow gather on the rooftops when it snowed in The Pale.. :)

zuko514

not really,consider the display box glitched out on me, I lost half of my dragon priest mask and a few good weapons.

scarey

Apart from having to spend the gold to buy the land, the houses can all be built and furnished for free, the only expense being time, excluding anything that moves.

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
Lydia handles all my decorating. She's a wiz I must say. I almost feel guilty when I sacrifice her. As far as whether or not it's worth it, I guess that depends on how much crafting you do and whether or not you collect books and artifacts. One of my self imposed rules is that I don't buy from merchants so for me, the house is kind of a must.

Atz

I do like the homes , but they are so full of glitches . I just build the House in the Pale now .

DRTBAG

I love em except I can't decorate anything. Every time I go thru a loading door & back its like.a tornado came thru the house. Stuff.clips thru display cases
For example I can't stand 2h weapons, but I get the bloodskal(spelling? ) blade for show, but it always ends up.flying across the room every time.I leave & come back. When I 1st got the goty I used & old character that had lots of money & built all the homes. I then went all over looking for decorations. In solsteim I bought different wine & alcoholic beverages to put in my kitchens, but I got tired of them flying all over the place:sadface: My latest character is a vampyr & just bought 1 with no decor & 1 bed just to store bodies. I also don't.like all the random bags all over, but the.fly away crap ruined it for me mentally :sadface::mad:

{)xxxxc(]):::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::>

Daelon DuLac

Apart from having to spend the gold to buy the land, the houses can all be built and furnished for free, the only expense being time, excluding anything that moves.
Free? You can cut your own wood? I've never been able to do that. I suppose you could steel your glass, soul gems and straw, but, frankly, I have neither the time nor the patience to mine 200+ ore samples to come up with all the needed iron, corundum and steel. I'll just buy it.

scarey

At at least one mill if you do the mill owner a favour you can cut as much wood as you like for free.

With regards all the other materials, I find over a few hundred in-game days you end up with enough ore just from running around, or at least I do. I never go on specific ore-mining trips for example. Looting gives you everything else over time.

Hidde

Drunk Archer
The homes are indeed very glitchy :p. But if you love Skyrim in every way, then yes, you should buy it. If you don't like family planning, well then don't! :D

Daelon DuLac

At at least one mill if you do the mill owner a favour you can cut as much wood as you like for free.

With regards all the other materials, I find over a few hundred in-game days you end up with enough ore just from running around, or at least I do. I never go on specific ore-mining trips for example. Looting gives you everything else over time.
But if you cut it, how does it get to your house? You can't carry it.

Hidde

Drunk Archer

But if you cut it, how does it get to your house? You can't carry it.

The chopped wood automatically returns to your house, it will be a log pile to the side of your house.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts