1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Hearthfire Freezing

Discussion in 'Hearthfire' started by Gilcore, Sep 5, 2012.

1. Gilcore

Gilcore Member

Hey everyone. Little issue with Hearthfire: Anyone else having a problem with the game freezing as soon as you enter your home? We reloaded a game from far back enough that it until it stopped freezing, but we were just wondering. The house we built was the one near Falkreath, and we decorated the house ourselves with all three wings. At the same time it started, however, we made Rayya (our steward) a follower for a mission. So we weren't sure what might have caused it: Adding stuff to the house, or making Rayya a follower? Any thoughts? Similar experiences?

• Agree Agree x 1
    Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Sniper9220: 1 Point Sep 5, 2012
  2. Sniper9220

Sniper9220 Member

yes gilcore, well. i have a house in morthal, i built ALL 3 wings and hired that archer in riverwood. it started freezing in the house as soon as i close a door or punch a door. now i cant even enter my house without it freezing. it seems its the dlc. since we both have the same problems. I am up 1000 saves. with only 4 saves i keep. Let me know when you went back it fixed the problem for good. thanks. btw this in on the xbox

3. Thorn1nYourSid3

Thorn1nYourSid3 Insert witty comment here...

Haven't had a freeze yet, but mannequins and trophies will sometime disappear and reappear randomly.

4. TheDovahkiin

TheDovahkiin The Fabled Stealer Of Sweetrolls

I haven't built a house yet XD.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    Sniper9220: 1 Point (I lost 2 dog. Both died from unkown causes and both died within 2 years of each other. I feel your pain. Good luck with it.) Sep 5, 2012
    TwinStripe: 1 Point (Lost two dogs, both from cancer, both within a week of showing illness the oldest was 12 and the youngest 8. Tough to lose them, but they leave so many happy memories behind.) Sep 6, 2012
  5. Jersey Dagmar

Jersey Dagmar Just in time for the fiyahworks show! BOOM!

This is a basic solution, but have you cleared out your system cache? Sometimes when I start up a game it freezes on the load screen. Clear out your cache just in case. I tend to do this once every three days just to avoid freeze ups on this game.

6. SCcountryBoy

SCcountryBoy New Member

Hey guys, I tried downloading hearthfire on the xbox and it will get to about 95 to 99 percent complete really fast but then it freezes my xbox and won't complete. So now everytime I try to log on my gamertag it freezes my xbox unless I cancel the download very quickly. I really want to get it working anyone else have this same issue? And I have plenty of space on my hard drive by the way.

7. TheDaedricPrince

TheDaedricPrince New Member

Hey guys, check this link for confirmation (Skyrim:Hearthfire - UESPWiki) Go to bugs. It says that Falkreath and Morthal have possible massive system crashes. This means that the problem is the DLC, regardless of what people want to say. Dawnstar is the only home without this possibility, therefore the one you should try for until Bethesda fixes this problem. Thanks for reading! :)

8. Lizzifer

Lizzifer Watch out for hop-ons.

I haven't had issues in the way of freezing, but I have had texture issues inside the house.

9. Jersey Dagmar

I have the house in Falkreath and so far so good. I even managed to move my wife and kids there with no problems.

10. Lizzifer

Lizzifer Watch out for hop-ons.

Has anyone had issues buying the Dawnstar house? This is kind of unrelated to freezing, but possibly an issue nonetheless. I was able to buy the Falkreath property and build everything to completion, and bought the Morthal property but the walls are invisible when you're inside. I don't get dialogue to buy the Dawnstar one though.

11. Jersey Dagmar

I know I've read that you have to talk to the Jarl for the Dawnstar land instead of his Steward. At least, that's what the wiki says. Maybe you have to do something for the Jarl?

• Useful Useful x 1
  12. Sniper9220

Sniper9220 Member

well, i added morthal to the wiki. I found about 4 friends having the same issue. i did clear my system cache. no luck. it still freezes when i enter. within one second of showing my house, it freezes. its almost everyone having this issue. it is the DLC' so we should message bethesda.

13. raven63

raven63 Member

Do you have the greenhouse as part of your house because the game seem not to like it and crash if so that's your problem

14. TwinStripe

TwinStripe New Member

Don't think it's the greenhouse (even though there is one in the Falkreath home), I think it's the number of occupants that's the problem. I've got Faendal as my steward, Rayna as my housecarl, Llewelyn as my bard and Vikas as my follower. During the day, when Faendal and Rayna wander around outside, it works fine. in the evening it seems to freeze as soon as the last one enters the main hall. Going to try 'juggling' people a bit to see what happens (because I want to get all my stuff back)!

15. glogs

glogs New Member

House completed in Dawnstar (The Pale), adopted kids. Now , the game is unplayable due to freezes. Cleared system cache (a solution that never and will never work), still nothing.

16. TwinStripe

TwinStripe New Member

Okay, DEFINITELY related to the number of people in the house - I waited until daytime and for Rayna and Faendal to leave the house, fired Vikas, hired Rayna, got her to wait outside, went in fired Llewelyn and then waited for Faendal to come back, got Reyna to follow me into the house, and..... all working again!

Don't know how that helps those with the spouse and kids, but I suppose somebody could try waiting until the hired help's out of the way and then moving them to one of the usual homes in the hold capitals?

Now all I have to do is figure out how to get my money back from Gregor - sonofabitch took all my gold but didn't buy a stick of furniture for Heljarchen Hall....

17. Calmdoggy

Calmdoggy New Member

I can confirm that it isn't the amount, I have one house with no people and it freezes, and a house with an orphan and it freezes too, so lets keep guessing till Bethesda can fix this broken dlc.

18. TwinStripe

TwinStripe New Member

Hmmmm... annoying that - do you have the greenhouse in both? And no steward in either?

19. Calmdoggy

Calmdoggy New Member

Have the storage/ kitchen/ bedroom in the one without people but I've noticed something, it freezes on the other the moment my orphan tries to run and greet me, so even if the other house is empty maybe its something with the orphans.

20. TwinStripe

TwinStripe New Member

Do you have any followers with you?