Have you found another game that compares to Skyrim?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

skydawg

I've really enjoyed Skyrim so much, like no other game. I don't think I've ever found a game that sucked me in and kept me immersed for so long. But after hundreds of hours I think I'd like to find something else that at least holds a candle to this awesome game. Anyone have any recommendations for a game that comes to close to Skyrim in terms of immersion and fun? Have you found a worthy successor that you've moved onto, if so what game?

NachyoChez

Oblivion?
Fallout 3?
In reality, bugs and all, Skyrim is just lightyears ahead of most games on the market.

Punz

Dark Lord of Skyrim
Hmmmm, I'd have to say nothing so far comes close to Skyrim as an RPG.

That being said, Mass Effect trilogy, Metal Gear Solid Series are both really great.

Jeroenvk94

Oblivion?
Fallout 3?
In reality, bugs and all, Skyrim is just lightyears ahead of most games on the market.

Oblivion graphics are so fugly... I bought it for ps3 a few weeks ago ( for 4$ or something ) and back in the days when I played it on PC it was great, but compared to modern day games it's a big HEEELLLLLLLL NO

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9070 met Tapatalk

skydawg

Yeah I gave Oblivion a shot a short time ago, but after playing Skyrim I just couldn't downgrade to that.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
The only game iv eva played as much is gta san andreas. The latest gta is awesome but even after finishing that iv gone back to playing Skyrim. Some of the old final fantasy games were excellent (7&8) but it just seems nowadays that games arnt near as good as 'back in the day'. The exception is of course Skyrim.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
The only game iv eva played as much is gta san andreas. The latest gta is awesome but even after finishing that iv gone back to playing Skyrim. Some of the old final fantasy games were excellent (7&8) but it just seems nowadays that games arnt near as good as 'back in the day'. The exception is of course Skyrim.
The main reason why Skyrim is so popular is the Customization,
GTA V seems good I haven't played it yet but the thing with GTA games is they limit you to a Character, GTA would have been more popular if you could of created your own character like in saints row, GTA online you can do that apparently I don't really know.

NachyoChez

The main reason why Skyrim is so popular is the Customization,
GTA V seems good I haven't played it yet but the thing with GTA games is they limit you to a Character, GTA would have been more popular if you could of created your own character like in saints row, GTA online you can do that apparently I don't really know.
You can indeed. If they can fix the server issues and rampant connection bugs, GTA:O is actually pretty well done!

Brina

Oblivion graphics are so fugly... I bought it for ps3 a few weeks ago ( for 4$ or something ) and back in the days when I played it on PC it was great, but compared to modern day games it's a big HEEELLLLLLLL NO

Verstuurd van mijn GT-I9070 met Tapatalk

The oblivion graphics don't bother me too much... Then again... I play morrowind...

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1380872271.910824.jpg

Last edited:

Felidae

The White Wanderer
Red Dead Redemption and Oblivion.
Oblivion might be an inferior game to Skyrim but it was the first RPG I ever played, so it has a certain nostalgic charm to it that Skyrim just can't match. And in my opinion the scenery of Cyrodiil was a lot nicer than Skyrim's harsh, rugged landscape.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Red Dead Redemption and Oblivion.
Oblivion might be an inferior game to Skyrim but it was the first RPG I ever played, so it has a certain nostalgic charm to it that Skyrim just can't match. And in my opinion the scenery of Cyrodiil was a lot nicer than Skyrim's harsh, rugged landscape.

I love red dead! In fact I love most rockstar games.

+ your sig is so kewl!

Gandalf The Boss

Pupil of Nienna. Defender of Middle Earth
Ehm.. No one mentions Witcher 2? Some say that that is the pinnacle of RPG games. And! It got boobs.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
I have actually spent more time immersed in several titles over the years. (Morrowind for one)

The Mass Effect games are my favorite gaming experiences ever. Bar none. Especially the first game, when it really felt like a RPG. A polished, complete experience that kept me coming back for more.

Assassin's Creed was far more enjoyable as well. These games consistently excel at storytelling and providing immerse environments to play in.

FarCry 3. While I didn't spend as much time on the island found in this game as I did in Skyrim, I had more fun and was far more immersed in the world than I ever was in the world of Skyrim. Never "breaking immersion" due to bug or storytelling issue really helped with that.

Lastly, the two Borderlands games. Sooo much fun! It is almost a mix of Diablo and Fallout with the great immersion of frontier sort of futuristic setting and the loot, kill, loot, repeat formula of Diablo. Awesome.

Skyrim and Oblivion are both beneath these great franchises, in my humble opinion. Particularly in the realm of immersion.

Doctor Langstrom

I want to be FEARED!
I have actually spent more time immersed in several titles over the years. (Morrowind for one)

The Mass Effect games are my favorite gaming experiences ever. Bar none. Especially the first game, when it really felt like a RPG. A polished, complete experience that kept me coming back for more.

Assassin's Creed was far more enjoyable as well. These games consistently excel at storytelling and providing immerse environments to play in.

FarCry 3. While I didn't spend as much time on the island found in this game as I did in Skyrim, I had more fun and was far more immersed in the world than I ever was in the world of Skyrim. Never "breaking immersion" due to bug or storytelling issue really helped with that.

Lastly, the two Borderlands games. Sooo much fun! It is almost a mix of Diablo and Fallout with the great immersion of frontier sort of futuristic setting and the loot, kill, loot, repeat formula of Diablo. Awesome.

Skyrim and Oblivion are both beneath these great franchises, in my humble opinion. Particularly in the realm of immersion.

All those games are garbage when up against Elder Scrolls. Mass Effect is simply another space game. I rather play Asteroid. Assassin's Creed, only the third one had interesting characters, the rest, meh. FarCry 3? LOL please, boring as plops. Same goes for Borderlands, damn those games were just tedious.

Matt

The Last Pen Fighter
As the age old adage goes, to each his own.

That said, there are parts of this discussion you have left out. For one, I specifically stated that these titles are better than Skyrim and Oblivion, not the Elder Scrolls as a whole. Morrowind was likely the pinnacle of the immersive RPG experience and it is a shame that they've dumbed down the franchise to the level they have.

I'll start with Mass Effect. Definitely not just another space game. After five complete playthroughs with five distinct gaming experiences, this game is definitely at the top of a short list of excellent and complete RPG's. FarCry 3 stands out as being bug-free and a massive amount of fun. In fact, all of the titles I mentioned were nearly completely bug free on my Xbox. The same cannot be said for Skyrim, which is horribly flawed to the point of frustration.

That is one of the biggest points, but not the central issue here. That issue is how ridiculously simple the puzzles are and how easy the game is on a whole. One unforgivable "stripping down" of the Elder Scrolls experience in Skyrim is the taking out of the need or even use of exploration whatsoever. When given a quest, you are almost always supplied no details aside from a little triangle on the map and the words "Travel to Blah Blah Keep". As someone who enjoyed asking around and exploring in order to locate the next part of a quest I found this aspect of Skyrim to irreparably ruin the immersion. Going from point A to point B with nothing to of interest in-between (Oh look! A giant!) is boring enough, but then you toss in buggy visuals, poor character mapping, game freezes, walking through solid objects, falling into the environment, and - my personal favorite - a dragon who glitches out and starts teleporting across the map, and you can see why the game is longer in my collection.

With that in mind, you may keep your Skyrim, and I will continue to have fun playing games that are finished, bug-free, immersive, and do not hold my hand if I do not wish them to do so. As I am having a blast taking over pirate ships and raiding European citadels on Caribbean Islands in AC IV, you can enjoy another playthrough in Bethesda's table scraps if you wish, it troubles me not.

tx12001

I will not tolerate failure...
As the age old adage goes, to each his own.

That said, there are parts of this discussion you have left out. For one, I specifically stated that these titles are better than Skyrim and Oblivion, not the Elder Scrolls as a whole. Morrowind was likely the pinnacle of the immersive RPG experience and it is a shame that they've dumbed down the franchise to the level they have.

I'll start with Mass Effect. Definitely not just another space game. After five complete playthroughs with five distinct gaming experiences, this game is definitely at the top of a short list of excellent and complete RPG's. FarCry 3 stands out as being bug-free and a massive amount of fun. In fact, all of the titles I mentioned were nearly completely bug free on my Xbox. The same cannot be said for Skyrim, which is horribly flawed to the point of frustration.

That is one of the biggest points, but not the central issue here. That issue is how ridiculously simple the puzzles are and how easy the game is on a whole. One unforgivable "stripping down" of the Elder Scrolls experience in Skyrim is the taking out of the need or even use of exploration whatsoever. When given a quest, you are almost always supplied no details aside from a little triangle on the map and the words "Travel to Blah Blah Keep". As someone who enjoyed asking around and exploring in order to locate the next part of a quest I found this aspect of Skyrim to irreparably ruin the immersion. Going from point A to point B with nothing to of interest in-between (Oh look! A giant!) is boring enough, but then you toss in buggy visuals, poor character mapping, game freezes, walking through solid objects, falling into the environment, and - my personal favorite - a dragon who glitches out and starts teleporting across the map, and you can see why the game is longer in my collection.

With that in mind, you may keep your Skyrim, and I will continue to have fun playing games that are finished, bug-free, immersive, and do not hold my hand if I do not wish them to do so. As I am having a blast taking over pirate ships and raiding European citadels on Caribbean Islands in AC IV, you can enjoy another playthrough in Bethesda's table scraps if you wish, it troubles me not.
Did you know this Website is called Skyrim Forums, if you dislike Skyrim then Leave, only a shallow person would dislike a game for a mere few bugs that some people find funny to witness

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts