Has the carriage drive to Helgen ever broken for you?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Wippii

Bookworm
And if yes, how?

I know the intro is notorious for being extremely easy to break, and that again proved to be true today. Admittedly there were mods involved, but still.

First try:
Hadvar was attacked by a random wolf.
The first carriage almost ran over Tullius.
Our carriage was too slow and the gate shut before we got through. Reload.

Second try:
I forgot to deactivate Frostfall for the duration of the cart ride -> Lokir died almost instantly and I nearly froze to death.

Lokir's death had a hilarious effect:
Imperial soldier: "Shut up back there!"
Ralof: "Watch your tongue! You're speaking to Ulfric Stormcloak, the true High King!"

Made it to the keep on the 2nd try, which was surprising. I was 99% sure I'd get stuck walking in place when moving towards the chopping block.

Feel free to share your stories. :D

Installed a "Draugr Apocalypse" mod, it spammed dozens of zombies in groups everywhere (And dear God, THOUSANDS maybe TENS of thousands in Whiterun). There was a large group that attacked the carriage, and that was when I decided to install alternate start :p

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Tapatalk

Inquisitor Saken

polan can into space?
Heheheheh. Try using the console to spawn a dragon on the carriage. As the dragon takes off, the carriage goes up with it and goes rolling all over the place, and the horse goes all stretchy.

I've seen quite a few mods mess with it.

Forgetting about frostfall is a common one - I now don't activate that until into Helgen Keep. I also find that, RND and Hunterborn also interfere with the movement mechanics when hands are bound sometimes - I get stuck and just bounce up and down repeatedly.

Most recently I had one where the carriage couldn't stay on the ground; it would hit a bump and then spend the rest of the journey bouncing and rotating. Luckily no-one fell out :)

On a related note, I had a situation *once* where Lokir wasn't killed by the archer when making his escape. Wonder what happened to him?

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
I had a similar experience to what frostspiderman had.

So, I multitask. I look on my laptop, chat a bit but also play Skyrim at the same time. I'm sure a lot of us do. So this is like my one hundredth play-through (give or take a few more ;) ), and I look away for about 10 seconds. And all of a sudden I see weird patterns of flashing lights on the screen at the corner of my eye. I face the tv and I witnessed the most hilarious thing (at least to me anyway) The horse in the carriage my character was in, was spassing out of control but the cart was still going, and then a few seconds later the cart jolted and sped up on top of the other cart! Amazingly no one died from Skyrim's weird collision laws. (small cart killing you bring up a few bad memories? Anyone? Perhaps a skull or bucket?)

I thought it was over once the dust cleared and turned back to my laptop, waiting for the character creation to show up. But it never did. Right when the cart stopped to get the prisoners off I saw there was no horse on mine, and the other cart was completely missing. I moved my character's head around and half of the entire cast was... gone. Poof.

Needless to say I let out a loud groan of annoyance, followed by a giggle or two at the stupidity of it all. After all, making fun of misfortune seems to clear all the Skyrim bug woes.

The horse on my carriage just randomly fell through the ground, flipped over our carriage, rammed into the people in front of me, and then started lifting off into the sky, but the horse was stuck in the ground so when I was pulled back down I started bouncing xD I almost started crying from lack of air after I was done laughing xD

-"Silence is key, but if silence fails, use ducktape"

Last edited:

Mighty Pecan Pie

The secret American
My biggest intro flaw is still Alduin not showing up. There I lay, spend atleast an hour to create a character, 30 minutes more to think of a name. And then Alduin is like: "Nah, screw Helgen. Last play-through the one I saved slaughtered my dragonass"

So, there I was, on the executioner block, with no one doing stuff.. Kept waiting for 30 min and gave up and had to do it all over again. All the next characters were saved right after creation..

W'rkncacnter

Mister Freeze
I've used Live Another Life for quite some time now so I haven't ridden in the cart for a while. But in the past the worst I have seen was the cart hit a rock and nearly flip on it's side before correcting itself. Minor compared to those listed above.

I've also had Alduin fail to perform the final flyover after exiting the caverns. Hadvar just kept crouching by the rock. I reloaded and he flew by the next time.

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Never had the carriage fail but have had the glitch that makes everyone stay on the carriage when they get to Helgen. No movement at all. Sat there for a half an hour one time waiting for anything to happen. Nothing. Boy, that Legate and Hadvar must have been getting bored.

TheNatural

i had manually turned off all vsync once through NVIDIA, and I forgot that Skyrim's engine doesn't like that, so when I started a new game on a fresh install, every time the black screen faded into the actual game, the carts would start flipping like crazy all around, and the npcs and horses would look like they were swimming. I had no idea what was going on until I went back and turned vsync on and everything went back to normal.

Manmangler

Sitting drivers place in wagon Done
wagons goind sideways in road Done
Horses below wagons Done
Gate to helgen never open and wagons waiting outside Done
NPC dropping off wagons Done

Wippii

Bookworm
I've used Live Another Life for quite some time now so I haven't ridden in the cart for a while. But in the past the worst I have seen was the cart hit a rock and nearly flip on it's side before correcting itself. Minor compared to those listed above.

I've also had Alduin fail to perform the final flyover after exiting the caverns. Hadvar just kept crouching by the rock. I reloaded and he flew by the next time.

You know, Live Another Life can be used to do the vanilla start. Most of the "Press [key] to [action]" prompts will be removed and you'll find a nice surprise in the keep. :)
I personally really like the Helgen intro, and often pick it as my "alternate" start.
Also, with LAL all your mods will get loaded up in the starting cell, so the carriage ride is far less likely to break because of heavy scripters starting up.

Naglfar

Had the driver take short cut down the side of the mount once cart flipped over and we were so late getting to Helgen they'd shut the gates already. Ralof still started up a conversation like traveling in a upside down cart down a mountain was the most normal thing in the world.

Wippii

Bookworm
Had the driver take short cut down the side of the mount once cart flipped over and we were so late getting to Helgen they'd shut the gates already. Ralof still started up a conversation like traveling in a upside down cart down a mountain was the most normal thing in the world.

Sounds like Lokir's "No, this can't be happening. This isn't happening." was a pretty appropriate reaction. :p

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts