Guidelines you should read first:

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

AngryMage

100% Argonian, at your service!
Random question: How do I make another blog post? I have made one, but can not figure out how to make another.

JoeReese

Sure, that's completely fine.

You can post anything except a journal of the character you play in Skyrim. :)

Awesome...and thank you Narz, for asking. I wasn't clear on it either.

Anthrax

Revenant of Shadows
Hey, no problem at all. Sorry for not really making it clear.

These stories don't have to be about your actual encounters in Skyrim, there just has to be an element of Skyrim in there e.g. you shouldn't write a contemporary story.

So feel free to make a story set in Skyrim and make up your own characters, towns, quests, and just let your imagination go wild. :p

Does the story have to be completely Skyrim orientated?

Rayven

Global Moderator
Staff member
I think we've been ok with pretty much anything TES-related. If you want to do writing that is totally away from the TES world, there's a section in the Arts area toward the bottom of the forum list specifically set aside for other sorts of stories.

You go to the Fan Fiction page, and look at the top of the page for a button that says, "Create a new thread".

Bobby Stormcloak

No, I'm not related to Ulfric. Stop asking.
If I ever wanted to write a story, how would I go about making a table of contents with links to the chapters and all that? Computer jargon isn't my thing.

Valin Oakthorn

Vagabond Extraordinaire
I am thinking about making a fan fiction. While it wouldnt be about the adventures I've played so far the main character is my in-game character (and my character here on the forms) should i post it under fan fiction or blogs

Hey guys. There are just a couple of things you should know before using this section.

For story writers:
  • Please only create one thread for each story regardless of whether it has more than one chapter. If you plan to write more chapters in the future be sure to reserve the next few posts of your thread by simply posting 'reserved for future chapters' to keep the thread clean and organised
  • Choose a suitable name for your story and try your best to make your thread easy to read and organised. Use large bold headings for new chapters and make sure to inform users if there are any spoilers in your thread with the appropriate prefix and at the start of your thread saying what spoilers exist
  • Be open to criticism (both positive and negative)
  • When writing sexually explicit content (smut) be sure to add the 18+ tag as well as a warning preferably in red before the start of the story so if an unsuspecting guest comes in from a search engine they don't get scarred for life. Also, please don't use blatant titles such as "BIG DI** KHAJIIT INSERTS HIS..."
  • Please don't plagiarise other people's work. All stories must be written by you.
For readers:
  • After reading the story, I'm sure the author would appreciate you leaving some feedback on what you think of it. Optionally, you may also rate their post so they can have a to-the-point indication of what people think of it
  • Be sure to criticise constructively and backup your opinions with reasons
  • Threads that are tagged with the 18+ tag contain sexually explicit content (smut) and shouldn't be read by those who are overly sensitive when it comes to these kind of things. You've been warned, remember!
For everyone:
  • Don't feel intimidated by these guidelines. They're here to ensure you have the greatest possible experience in our fan-fiction.
  • If you're reading this, please don't forget that we, the staff here (especially me) love you and would like you to have a great time. <3
If you have any questions or if something here wasn't clear enough, please don't hesitate to reply to this thread.
can we write stories ten or twenty years after events of skyrim but the story being revolved around major plots in skyrim

ShadoBlade

I have a question... actually make that two. I want to post an ongoing story however I have no idea how long it will actually be... I know you suggested chapter markers to hold places for future posts, but since i have no idea how long or involved this story is going to be, any other way to keep it from getting cluttered? My second question is this: the story, A Song of Tamriel, is written from an NPC's point of view on the adventures of his life... does that still need to be blogged or can i put it here?

FullmetalHeart20

Am I allowed to link a story from another site, or should I post it? And does that "all stories should be written by you" thing count of I credit the original author?

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
hmm

just read this in its entirety and I'm still confused a bit, and a wee-bit concerned by the lack of responses from the last few posts.

so here goes -

I understand the "explicit" part. No worries there I try to keep things, at least on the sexual level at most PG13... however what about gore? For example, it's actually quite crucial to my stories that the gore and realities of war are present within them. I'm just wondering if that should be titled "explicit" or not. A really good example of real-world movies would be "Saving Private Ryan" and "Lone Survivor," both being rated R (restricted 17+ for non-USA).

I also still don't understand the difference between short stories and "character journals." The piece I'm working on is really one book. But written in first person by four different people. These will involved all of Skyrim's major plot points - dragons in Helgen, Whiterun, High Hrothgar, Alduin, etc
and it will also involve quite a few of the minor quests and side quests like the Companions, College of Winterhold, and the Dawnguard.

so basically, would this be a "journal" and placed in the blog section, or in a thread here? And should it have an "explicit warning" on it (I personally think it should.)

Phantom

Uh, I didn't do it
I understand the "explicit" part. No worries there I try to keep things, at least on the sexual level at most PG13... however what about gore? For example, it's actually quite crucial to my stories that the gore and realities of war are present within them. I'm just wondering if that should be titled "explicit" or not. A really good example of real-world movies would be "Saving Private Ryan" and "Lone Survivor," both being rated R (restricted 17+ for non-USA).

People around here are usually pretty okay with violence, I mean, Skyrim itself isn't exactly an E for Everyone game, now is it?

I also still don't understand the difference between short stories and "character journals." The piece I'm working on is really one book. But written in first person by four different people. These will involved all of Skyrim's major plot points - dragons in Helgen, Whiterun, High Hrothgar, Alduin, etc and it will also involve quite a few of the minor quests and side quests like the Companions, College of Winterhold, and the Dawnguard.

Basically if it's following a character you played in Skyrim's adventures, it's a journal. From what you're describing, it's a fanfiction, since journals are usually only one character's perspective.

Short stories are, well, short one-shot type stories. They usually only have one 'chapter' so to speak.

GrumpyBadger

Article Writer
Thanks for the quick response Phantom, that all helps alot. I was kind of wondering because it's funny how on some forums related to M rated games their fanfics/rps and such can have zero gore without a warning... even though the game is rated "M"... :D hence why I wanted to double check.

and thanks for clearing the other part up as well. It's appreciated.

Latest posts