1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

Guide to Soul Gems and Enchanting

Discussion in 'Skyrim Articles' started by ShenziSixaxis, Mar 10, 2012.

1. Soar Tueth

Soar Tueth Member

Does an Elixir of Enchantment work while creating enchanted items or does it improve the rating of the ones you are equipping?

2. felix566

felix566 New Member

3. ShenziSixaxis

ShenziSixaxis Article Writer

Yup, that's exactly how it works.

It increases the strength of the enchantment you're placing on a weapon for the first time.

4. Nakatsu_Hime

Nakatsu_Hime Active Member

I really must look into this enchanting malarkey.
    Up to now I've been mostly throwing flames at people, and hitting them with swords until they fall down.

Enchantment sounds almost fun.

5. ShenziSixaxis

Enchanting can be quite fun once you realize how much extra power your weapons can pack. :p

6. Soar Tueth

Soar Tueth Member

I hit 'em with my sword, too. My glass sword is Legendary and enchanted, absorbs 30 points of health from my foe, does 46 damage of fire on top of 110 regular damage. If I wear an enchanted ring to fortify one-handed by 40%, the stats show 142 damage. Hacking is good for my health.

• Like Like x 2
  7. Wolfred the Brave

Um, the size of the soul does matter in weapons- it changes the amount of uses that the Weapon has.

8. Wolfred the Brave

It's not a glitch. It was purposely programmed like that, because it IS the same thing as a black soul gem just unbreakable. And the Black Star is the UNevil, UNcorrupt version. As Nelancar said, the Daedra are evil. Even though the Black Star seems more evil, the Daedric Artifacts in general are evil, so that doesn't matter.

9. Soar Tueth

Soar Tueth Member

I prefer my foes to not get back up when I hit them.:rolleyes: The ice form shout does a good job of that. I just had 3 falmer attack me. I backed up so they would form a line as they approached. I froze them in a line and hacked them to Sovngard with my glass sword enchanted at 46 fire damage, plus 46 frost damage.

10. Wolfred the Brave

The ice Form shout takes a horribly long time to recharge, and doesn't work on stronger opponents without all three words. And why would you NEED to freeze Falmer? Or am I just THAT good that everyone else seems to be horrible at this game?

11. ShenziSixaxis

Falmer can be real asshats if you're at a higher level and getting attacked by Skulkers and Gloomlurkers with honed weapons. It also doesn't help that you can find them in caves that don't allow for lots of movement. At least, that's my experience. I should give a paralyze spell a try when I'm raiding one of their caves.

12. Dmarie

Dmarie New Member

I really enjoyed this article, except that in Oblivion all of the soul gems were worth different amounts of refill amounts and the magical items indicated how much was needed to fill them. I do not find anything in Skyrim that indicates how low the charge is and therefore what gem is required to fill it. Am I missing something??

13. ShenziSixaxis

image 1
    Look at the bottom right hand corner. Above where the stamina bar would be if it were visible is a thin, gray bar. That's the current charge on the weapon you're using. (If it were in the left hand, it would be above the magicka bar.)

image 2
    I've ran around and killed some things; see how the gray bar has changed?

image 3
    In your inventory, press whatever button is currently set up to be used to Charge weapons and it'll bring up that little box on the right. The blue coloring in the gray bar is how much the currently highlighted soul gem will fill the enchantment charge.

14. 01ccook

01ccook New Member

This is super useful, thank you! I love creating my own weapons from the bottom up. I collect the materials, craft and enchant but I always found the enchanting process a bit confusing compared to the crafting. One question I still have is about the Azura's Star. Which version do you think is more valuable to a player, long term?

15. Joanner1210

Joanner1210 New Member

This is an awesome guide! I really dont have an idea how to enchant properly, Im enchanting my weapons and armor but I really dont know what im doing. Its just say more damage, so i enchant them. and i dont have a clue in the things that i need, now i know what those soul gems are. XD really thanks for this guide! :D

16. Wauten Dayhil

Wauten Dayhil Demon Hunter and Wordplay Extraordinaire

Black... No... Azura's... It depends, honestly. If you find yourself fighting monsters more than men, take Azura's Star. If you're fighting humans more, such as bandits, then take the Black Star. As far as I know, a Black Soul Gem and a Grand Soul Gem have the same amount of power in them (they both hold something like 5,000 Magicka points), so the Black Star would be more useful in that it only grabs human souls, giving you 5,000 Magickal power for your enchanting. But again, it's up to you.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    lizardisok: 15 Points Jan 30, 2016
  17. _Eddard_

_Eddard_ Member

I do the same thing, but with a different purpose. I rename my items to separate the different tiers of armor. For example:

Eddards Fighting Boots
    Eddards Fighting Gauntlets
    Eddards Fighting Clothes
    Eddards Smithing Boots
    Eddards Smithing Gauntlets
    Eddards Smithing Clothes

It makes very easy when I need to change between them.

I really don't know how can somebody play without develop smithing and enchanting. I love both skills and they make my life a lot easier. Also, for the role-play, is cool to think that your Dragonborn is so badass that he creates and improves his own armors and weapons.

18. dblanch

dblanch New Member

In my opinion, enchanting never ends up being beneficial until you hit like level 90 or so. Still, it's a worthwhile trade, definitely if you're looking for a quick ways to earn lots of gold and you pair it with the smithing skill.

19. Bluesnow222

Bluesnow222 New Member

Thanks Alot!

I just recently started playing Skyrim again and enchanting had always been something I wanted to figure out. I think I'm going to bookmark this guide. I appreciate all the effort you put into it!

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    lizardisok: 16 Points Apr 16, 2016