• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Calcelmo

Article Writer
You may notice strange markings on buildings in your adventures. These marks are called Shadowmarks. Shadowmarks can be found on almost every building in the 5 major hold cities (Solitude, Markarth, Whiterun, Windhelm, and Riften.)
_____

ThievesGuildMark.jpg

"The Guild"

Areas marked with this symbol are as safe as the Flagon's Cistern. Someone from the guild is definentally nearby.

SafeMark.jpg

"Safe"

This markings points to a path without traps or enemies ahead.

DangerMark.jpg

"Danger"

Head the other way or risk you life. Going down this path could potentially be lethal.

EscapeRouteMark.jpg

"Escape Route"

If your wind up in jail, search for these markings to find an escape route.

ProtectedMark.jpg

"Protected"

The people in this area are under the Guild's protection and must not be robbed or assaulted.

FenceMark.jpg

"The Fence"

This will become one of your favorite marks. Here you can sell your stolen goods.

CacheMark.jpg

"Thieves' Cache"

This symbol will be marked on a chest or barrel. Inside contains usually valuable item for you to take.

LootMark.jpg

"Loot"

There is something at this location that is worth some gold.

EmptyMark.jpg

"Empty"

This place contains nothing of value.

_____

Hope this helps you on your future roberies!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Thanks for sharing this with us, I often wondered about those markings.

Obscure.Ref.Girl

Carpe' Jugular
nice this was helpful instead of carrying the book around all the time

Straumgald

Where can you find the "loot" or Thieve's Cache" marks? Never seen those. Book says they can even be on a log somewhere in the wild. Also where is a good place to look for the symbols? Never really checked for them and I'm on my second thief.

Calcelmo

Article Writer
I can't say I have every noticed a loot mark in the wild. Loot marks will be on most houses in the hold capitols of Solitude, Markarth, Whiterun, Windhelm, and Riften. Thieve Caches are found in barrels in those 5 hold capitols. However there will be nothing in them until you have completed the city influence quest for that area. Here are the locations of the caches. In Solitude: Amid the barrels to the right of the entrance to Erikur's house. Behind Vittoria Vici's house. tucked into an alcove. At the end of the ally between the Winking Skeever and Angeline's Aromatics, behind the pine shrub. In Markarth: Where the water from Ghorza Gra-Bagol's Blacksmith shop cascades into the river, half submerged. In a plain, covered walkway in the city's northwest corner; follow the walkway wast from Nepos's front door. On the landing, just outside Vlindrel Hall. In Whiterun: Behind Carlotta Valentia's house. South of the House Gray-Mane in the corner of the city's wall (next to the gate connecting the Plains to the Wind District). Tucked up against the rear exterior wall of the Bannard Mane. In Windhelm: In the small courtyard on the side of Niranye's house. Right next to the door to Sadri's used wares. Tucked at the end of a tiny ally to the left of Hjerim's entrance. In Riften: On the lower walkway along the canal, almost directly across from Valindor's house. In a corner of the balcony walkway overlooking the training ground at Mistveil Keep. In the garden area of Honeyside, against the city wall.

Straumgald

Cool I might check those out on my rogue. Unfortunately he has like 350k and all the houses, so no real need for money anymore. I find its the same with most things in the game, by the time you can make tons of money, you don't need it anymore.

Nameless1

Super Dope. I knew there was something behind those marks. Very Nice. adds a little more dopery to tha Guild

Xena-Dhovakiin

You may notice strange markings on buildings in your adventures. These marks are called Shadowmarks. Shadowmarks can be found on almost every building in the 5 major hold cities (Solitude, Markarth, Whiterun, Windhelm, and Riften.)
_____

View attachment 256

"The Guild"

Areas marked with this symbol are as safe as the Flagon's Cistern. Someone from the guild is definentally nearby.

View attachment 257

"Safe"

This markings points to a path without traps or enemies ahead.

View attachment 258

"Danger"

Head the other way or risk you life. Going down this path could potentially be lethal.

View attachment 259

"Escape Route"

If your wind up in jail, search for these markings to find an escape route.

View attachment 260

"Protected"

The people in this area are under the Guild's protection and must not be robbed or assaulted.

View attachment 261

"The Fence"

This will become one of your favorite marks. Here you can sell your stolen goods.

View attachment 262

"Thieves' Cache"

This symbol will be marked on a chest or barrel. Inside contains usually valuable item for you to take.

View attachment 263

"Loot"

There is something at this location that is worth some gold.

View attachment 264

"Empty"

This place contains nothing of value.

_____

Hope this helps you on your future roberies!
Hi I find this extremely noteworthy. Did`t know about this. Take hearts. jm

D0MIN0

Yeah, I have never seen or heard of those markings before.

now I have something to do again, YAY!!!!
thanks ;)

Xena-Dhovakiin

Cool I might check those out on my rogue. Unfortunately he has like 350k and all the houses, so no real need for money anymore. I find its the same with most things in the game, by the time you can make tons of money, you don't need it anymore.

Wow u really moved through the epic missions. Me, I took an arrow in the knee literally an done in the shoulder that did not go away even when undressed down to underwear. The remedy was to de-activate her arrows by removing it from her equipment folder all together. I play PS3 no cheats no mods. I take 1000 Oblivion Books at a time and transport it to my Breeze home and one Windhelm. The treasure chest at the Iron mine also helps a lot. I am playing 4 Four versions of the game by saving last moves on each. Keeps me interested and busy. jm

Xena-Dhovakiin

Which book are u referring to ShenziSixaxi?The book I referred to is Open doors of Oblivion found near the Sightless Pit at the altar from the skeleton. Any more laying around? joachim.

Straumgald

Which book are u referring to ShenziSixaxi?The book I referred to is Open doors of Oblivion found near the Sightless Pit at the altar from the skeleton. Any more laying around? joachim.
He's talking about the book: "A guide to Shadowmarks." Found in the Ragged Flagon Cistern I believe.

Xena-Dhovakiin

OK thanx I have to go there to talk to old what`s his name to be taken up in the Thief Guild which I have previously done a couple of times. On my PC version that got 11.11.11 I have completed all the main quiets except Thief Guild and Alduin because I could not find Mercer near the end of the mission and Alduin because I did not search for the Elder Scroll as yet. I have finished then the Imperial mission, Dark Brotherhood and Companions. With the PS3 version I have now it is a bit more difficult and complex.
But I enjoy it all the way. Enjoy. jm

Xena-Dhovakiin

He's talking about the book: "A guide to Shadowmarks." Found in the Ragged Flagon Cistern I believe.

I am a Nord female in this going game level 11 now, also an Imperial female level 35 in another version and also a Breton female level 11 and on my PC game I played a Nord female level 51 which I abandoned for my PS3. I keep one save of every version should I feel like going on with something else now and then. I do not intend to finish the missions all together as yet. jm

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts