Spoiler [Guide] Guide to the Brotherhood

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Speech500

The Dark Brotherhood are a secretive and dangerous society of assassins who will kill anyone if payed enough. Though they once had a headquarters and many sanctuaries in each part of Skyrim, they are not minimized to one sanctuary in Skyrim, west of Falkreath. If you want to know more about The Dark Brotherhood, look no further! I have typed up a small guide to most aspects of the Shadowy group.

In this Guide
The Night Mother
Sithis
The Black Hand
The Black Sacrement
The Five Tenets

The Night Mother
The night mother is the patron of the Dark Brotherhood, and can be contacted by performing the black sacrement. She will then tell a listener to visit the one invoking the prayer. Her ghost wears Red Velvet Garment and Red Velvet Blouse and could be found in her crypt in Bravil, since then remains were moved to Skyrim's Falkreath Sanctuary and then to the Dawnstar Sanctuary. According to lore, she is the wife of Sithis and had five children with him, and this is proven by the fact that in her tomb lie the remains of one adult and five children, The night mother can only speak to a Listener. While she was respected highly, the Assassins abandoned her eventually as they had not recieved advice from her for some time.
The Night Mother in Skyrim and The Night Mother in Oblivion
600px-SR-npc-Night_Mother.jpg
701907-the_night_mother_super.jpg
http://skyrimming.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/600px-SR-npc-Night_Mother.jpg, http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1/15913/701907-the_night_mother_super.jpg

Sithis
Sithis is described as not a Daedra or Aedra, he is a being that is everything and nothing, sithis is a void that is only pleased by death, but he is not a god. Married to the Night mother, the Dark Brotherhood are speculated to be their children, the black hand. Sithis has no representation, and so is often shown as a skeleton due to his relation to death.
Sithis' Representation in Oblivion

The Black Hand
The Black hand are the highest order of the Dark Brotherhood, they are made of four speakers and a listener, four fingers and a thumb, it has been said. Each of the five is the leader of a Dark Brotherhood Sanctuary, but the Listner leads the Speakers and is the only person who is contacted by the night mother. Each Speaker and Listener has an assistant called a Silencer. The silencers are described as the Claws, or Talons of the black hand. Though a black hand is still the dark brotherhood's representation in Skyrim, the black hand was disbanded along with the Five tenets long ago, after the last listener died, the Night Mother did not contact the Brotherhood for a long time and The Assassins gave up on the Mother, Though still worship Sithis.
The Black Hand Represented in Skyrim

The Black Sacrament
The Black Sacrament is a ritual performed by someone who wants to contact the night mother, hoping to have an assassin come to you and complete a murder contract for you. The night mother hears the prayer and relays the information to the listener and he will give the contract to his silencer or the speakers. After the Dark Brotherhood of Cyrodiil was destroyed and the Black hand dismantled, the Assassins discovered invocation by listening to local rumours
In order to perform the Black Sacrament, the invoker must create an effigy of the intended victim, assembled from actual body parts, including a heart, skull, bones and flesh. They must then encircle the effigy with candles. The ritual itself must then commence. The invoker must proceed to stab the effigy repeatedly with a dagger while whispering this plea: "Sweet Mother, sweet mother, send your child unto me, for the sins of the unworthy must be baptized in blood and fear."
Aventus Aretino Performing the Black Sacrament

The Five Tenets

The Five tenets are a set of rules that the Dark Brotherhood always obeyed, though they were abandoned after the black hand was dismantled
Tenet 1: Never dishonor the Night Mother.To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 2: Never betray the Dark Brotherhood or its secrets. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 3: Never disobey or refuse to carry out an order from a Dark Brotherhood superior. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 4: Never steal the possessions of a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
Tenet 5: Never kill a Dark Brother or Dark Sister. To do so is to invoke the Wrath of Sithis.
The Five Tenets written out in an image

I hope you likes my Guide. I have given reference to all of the places where i got the images, i would make my own but i don't have Skyrim on pc, don't want to break the law and download it and i am bad at photoshop.
If you want any other sections added to the Guide, please ask.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
like it just can't read it can you bump the text up one level? good bit of lore for the unintiated.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts