Daggerfall Guard bashing for fun and profit

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

KritikalPT

Lately I've been playing either Crusader Kings II or Daggerfall since I'm starting to get tired of Skyrim (again), but a higher emphasis on Daggerfall.
Now, I wrote on my blog a post with the very same name (not the blog on this website, mind you, but on my Blogger), and because I feel like it, I'm going to put here this sort-of-guide how you can get rich and have fun at the same time. Plus, hopefully some more people will read this and play the game, as I think everyone should at least try it, because it's a great game. Just remember that, even with patches, it's a bit buggy, but don't let that be a deterrent whether you should play it or not; definitely give it a shot.

Anyway, with that out of the way, I present to you: Guard bashing for fun and profit.
With a few corrections in comparison to my original post.

--------------

For this guide I’m using my level 14 character custom made class.
Now, a quick notice: the higher your character level, the better, since you find better equipment, and a good luck stat will improve your chance of finding said items.
Her stats are as follows:

84 Strength
64 Intellect
56 Will
100 Agility
55 Endurance
35 Personality
100 Speed
23 Luck

If you have low luck, the best thing to do, in my opinion, is getting quests from the Mages Guild that require you to guard the guild house, which guarantees a magical item, and if you’re lucky, you’ll get something that increases your Luck stat. Either that, or if you’re rank 5 on the Mages Guild (Enchanter), then enchant an item to increase that stat. You could also go to a dungeon if you feel like torturing yourself a bit, but that’s up to you. Now that’s assuming you want to increase your Luck stat, surely enough you don’t actually need it, but it sure helps.
Now, if you’ve got those two things sorted out (Luck stat and you character’s level), then you’re good to go!

You’re probably asking me “Well, how do I get rich?” Simple, my friend, you participate in a sport called Guard Bashing.
The rules are simple: you are Team 1 and your objective is to break the law and get loot from the guards while trying not to die or going to jail by Team 2, which its only task is to shout “Halt!” constantly while trying to chop your face off with their weapons.
Yes, kill guards. The only things you should have to look out for is for them not to hit you, because until they hit you, you technically haven't broken the law, but the moment you get hit and a message appears if you want to go to resist arrest or not, then you’ve committed a crime and you’ll take a hit to your reputation*, if that matters to you.

Now you could go outside and hit a door and kill the guards there, but the problem there is that it’s too much of an open space, which is great for low levels, as it gives you more room to maneuver around, but for higher level characters who can easily shrug off the damage, heal yourself or just outright kill them before they manage to hit you, and want to kill hundreds of guards, the best thing to do is to kill guards inside a building. I tend to do this inside shops; they’re small enough and it’s easy to break the law, and when the guards spawn they are all nice and together.

With all of this, every time I participate in this sport, I get a good amount of Daedric items, as well as all other inferior material-grade items, and after I sell all of it, I can get 400,000 and more gold, depending on which shop I sell them to, which is more than enough to fund my item enchanting need.
*The reputation seems to do an overflow, where I was Revered, then Hated, then back to Revered and finally back to Hated.
Some screenshots below:

I deposited all the gold I had on my bank before I killed a "few" guards. The Luck boost is from an item, but I take it off to cast a spell. More about that on the next screenshot.

To make things better, I created this spell which increases my Luck. Now, if you have an item that increases stats, it's better to remove it if the spell increases more, otherwise the item will simply nullify the spell's effect.

After casting the spell I reach 100 Luck, meaning I got a 77 Luck increase with just one cast.

You can see here the piles of corpses of these law abiding guards. Note: because these are sprites, you can't see how many bodies are under one the ones of top because they stack, but I can tell you that, where there's one body, there's actually about 5 or 6, or even more. Shame you can't loot them all.

Bodies as far as the eye can see.

Now, before I show the total of gold that I got from selling them items, here is what I've picked up. I only grabbed items that were Elven and above.

2 Dwarven Longswords;
2 Orcish Boots;
1 Daedric Mace;
1 Daedric Right Pauldron (because this was an upgrade, I sold my Ebony Right Pauldron instead);
1 Elven Right Pauldron;
1 Mithril Shortsword;
1 Elven Longsword;
1 Elven Broadsword;
1 Elven Saber;
2 Mithril Sabers;
1 Mithril Helmet (I assume it is Mithril since it was blue and it gave +7 armor rating);
1 Dwarven Dai-katana;
1 Mithril Longsword;
1 Elven Shortsword.

All of this in about 15-20 minutes. The spell wore off, but I kept on going for a bit longer, until there was no more space to properly loot anymore.

The result of selling everything. Oddly enough, one pair of Orcish boots gave me about 150k and the other about 50k, and the Ebony right pauldron gave me about 150k.

So here you go, a great way to make loads of money on Daggerfall, while committing genocide on the guard populace. Good thing the game never runs out of those, otherwise where would I upgrade my equipment and get a lot of money? Dungeons? Screw those. Shops? Takes too long, and I'm a lazy guy.

-------------
As you've probably seen, I love Daggerfall, and I would love to write more about it, so if you would like I could write some more guides, or maybe some builds, I don't know, you choose.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
*ahem*
HALT!
HALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALT......

Lansworthy

Lacklusterous
I did this in Oblivion, and used a mod that allowed the Guards to instantly respawn.

All you could hear is the following in mass repeats and overlapping.

STOP RIGHT THERE!
WHY WONT YOU DIE!
and of course.

BlaAKRIHKJGGKKAJGF when they died. In 3 hours I had killed 3257 Imperial Guards, and lagged my computer so badly, I was unable to enter the market district.

KritikalPT

*ahem*
HALT!
HALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALTHALT......

Skrillex's most recent album for all your jolly follies, with 100% more "Halt!" and "wobwobwobwob", "Criminal Scum". The albums has such fine tracks, for example: "Halt!", "Halt!" or the one that put it on top of the charts for 5 weeks straight, "Vengeance! ("Halt!" remix)".

Ozan

the Magnificent Bastard
Ozan greatly despises guards, but to murder so many for petty trinkets and toys?

...share the wealth?

Max the Daedric

Proud member of PAHAAA & Daedra worshipper
Just downloaded DaggerFall. Gonna try it soon. :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts