Glitch Greater or Grand Soul Gems

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Doomy

It will be random and level based. I would not expect to see one until at least 25 at a wild guess

Icy Seeker

Thanks for the tip. I enchanted my sword to collect souls, I forgot grab all the other gems so one dungeon later... I was pissed!

SawJack

Level 54 Nerd
What do you do with your Grand or Greater Soul Gems filled with Petty or Lesser Souls ?
Do you just sell them ? , After all they aren't much good for weapon enhancements so most people just sell them.

Ur do you dump them to make room when you are overweight, like I just did.

Well then here is a little Glitch for you.

I dumped all my Grand & Greater Gems on the floor that had either Lesser or Petty souls in them as I was overweight & needed to move faster than a slow walk, like I had about 50 of them. When I picked them up 5 min later they were all empty.

So next time just dump all your Grand or Greater Soul Gems on the floor or ground & then when you pick them up again they are EMPTY.

I'm going to have to check on this because I was stockpiling filled soul gems in the room with my enchanting table in the Solitude house. I have several stacks (at least 20) of between 15 - 40 gems from petty up to grand that are piled into bowls, a random open container on the floor, shelves and on my enchanting table. All of them were filled with the appropriate sized soul too. I was planning on having a big enchanting equipment party to finally get those last 15 points on my enchanting skill - I'll be annoyed if I have to start over filling gems again!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Well they only become empty if they hit the floor or ground, you can store them safely in containers or chests in houses that you own.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
UPDATE: This also works with Common Soul Gems that have Petty or Lesser souls in them as well.

Shew

Account closed (at sincere request).
Thanks for the update

SawJack

Level 54 Nerd
Well they only become empty if they hit the floor or ground, you can store them safely in containers or chests in houses that you own.

Well crap. I didn't put them into any true containers that bring up the menu screen. I was wasting time trying to pile them into random bowls and open topped boxes in my house because I thought it might look a bit cooler and I was sick of scrolling through the inventory screen of the barrels and chests that have seemingly never ending lists of random stuff I've hoarded during my 160 hours or so of game play.

I guess this is what I get for never bothering to look on the forums until I was level 54!

Panthera

Don Gato
I obviously had it figured that you can buy them already filled, but I have about 25 gems that are empty and only five full ones. I'm a mage now, so I rarely use swords and only bound bows for archery.

There is a perk in conjuration tree. It is 3rd in the middle called "soul stealer". So by using bound weapons you will soul trap automatically by each hit. Also you dont need to recharge your bound weapon like enchanted ones.

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
I've added another Update to this thread ......

Update 2: This glitch will work with any Soul Gem that has a soul less that the Gem holding it, for example: If you have a Common Soul Gem with a Petty or Lesser soul in it you can drop it & pick it up empty. Or Drop a Grand Soul Gem with a Common, Petty or Lesser & you will pick it up empty & so forth.

Cheers,

Dave

getkeith

What do you do with your Grand or Greater Soul Gems filled with Petty or Lesser Souls ?
Do you just sell them ? , After all they aren't much good for weapon enhancements so most people just sell them.

Ur do you dump them to make room when you are overweight, like I just did.

Well then here is a little Glitch for you.

I dumped all my Grand & Greater Gems on the floor that had either Lesser or Petty souls in them as I was overweight & needed to move faster than a slow walk, like I had about 50 of them. When I picked them up 5 min later they were all empty.

UPDATE 1: This also works with Common Soul Gems that have Petty or Lesser souls in them as well.

Update 2: This glitch will work with any Soul Gem that has a soul less that the Gem holding it, for example: If you have a Common Soul Gem with a Petty or Lesser soul in it you can drop it & pick it up empty. Or Drop a Grand Soul Gem with a Common, Petty or Lesser & you will pick it up empty & so forth.

So next time just dump all your Grand or Greater Soul Gems on the floor or ground & then when you pick them up again they are EMPTY.
heres another glitch if you give all your empty soul gems to a follower and give them a soul trap weapon if they kill one thing it fills all the gems

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
heres another glitch if you give all your empty soul gems to a follower and give them a soul trap weapon if they kill one thing it fills all the gems

I've been trying this a lot & it's not working, what platform are you using ?

SawJack

Level 54 Nerd
Well crap. I didn't put them into any true containers that bring up the menu screen. I was wasting time trying to pile them into random bowls and open topped boxes in my house because I thought it might look a bit cooler and I was sick of scrolling through the inventory screen of the barrels and chests that have seemingly never ending lists of random stuff I've hoarded during my 160 hours or so of game play.

I guess this is what I get for never bothering to look on the forums until I was level 54!

Just a quick update on this - all of my soul gems were fine. I didn't have any mismatched souls trapped, so I guess the glitch didn't impact the stuff I had thrown all around my house.

Dragon Bourne

Long Live Paarthurnax!
Oh this may be a disaster for me then... I put all my filled Grand and Greater SGs in an open container next to my enchanting table in Solitude so I could grab them as I needed them. Will pray they are all not empty now.

SawJack

Level 54 Nerd
Oh this may be a disaster for me then... I put all my filled Grand and Greater SGs in an open container next to my enchanting table in Solitude so I could grab them as I needed them. Will pray they are all not empty now.

That's what I did too. They should be fine as long as they have the correct size soul inside of them. So no worries at all for you!

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Bump

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Bump

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
Bump

xSuoiveDx

Dave, The Quiet One.
...............Bump.