• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
If I wanted to learn to create mods, where would I start? I figure I need to creation kit, but anything else? And do you need to know any specific code language? I've got some experience with web development, but that's about it. So, suggestions?
Posted from my Nokia Lumia running Windows 10 via TapaTalk.

hershangames

Well, as you yourself said, you need creation kit, and that's about it.
You don't to use any kind of coding(that's what makes Skyrim be the most moded game in history), but it can get real tricky at times, so I recommend you read both the creation kit official guide and watch some videos.

sent by the almighty Hershan from tapatalk

Okay thanks I'll do that then. Do you have any links to good resources maybe?

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
Here is a video series guide to modding, hosted by a well known modding show-caser, Gopher.

There are other videos in relation to it in the side bar I'm sure. Or you can do a fresh search. Youtube has TONS of how to videos, especially since there are a lot of mod showcasers out there. Kinda hard to showcase mods and be excited about them, and not show people how they can create their ideas in the game world, eh?

Hope that video series helps!

EDIT: Gave the wrong video series, oops! JoeReese does have a good link though down below!

Last edited:

JoeReese

Okay thanks I'll do that then. Do you have any links to good resources maybe?

Oddly enough, the official beginner's tutorial is name-appropriate for this thread. http://www.creationkit.com/Category:Getting_Started

This will tell you how to get, set up, and begin using creation kit, as well as creating and saving your first .esp file. (mod) The only thing I can think of, which will be different now, is that
it's now called Skyrim Creation Kit, rather than just Creation Kit. No big impact but having to scroll a little further down in the library, to find it.

The page will link you to the tutorial hub, which has more job-specific tutorials (listed by category, down the right side) and a link to video tutorials at the bottom. I find both to be helpful in
different ways, but I prefer these because I can keep them open and use them as a step-by-step.

Aside from that, the best advice I can give you is save often. Save your game before you start the mod, and save creation kit just about every time you do anything at all. It tends to
crash pretty frequently, and it's no fun to build a whole room and then watch it disappear.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts