• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

jarif

i wanna get Fallout 3 and my friend tells its pretty much like Skyrim but a future version.
Im pretty clueless about the lore/world so is there any guilds or factions i need to be aware of? How much Roleplay is offered? And what are good mods for Fallout? including swords

Pretty Vampires

Bunny Foo Foo
It's much harder that's for sure. I can play Dark Souls fine, but I can't even play Fall Out 3.

It's confusing to me :confused:

The Wanderer

Young Heritic
And tell me about character builds/classes
I loved Fallout 3 as Well as New Vegas. It's been a while since I played though, it's probably pretty cheap now sinc eit came out so long ago. I'd say get it if you have the money.

ShenziSixaxis

Article Writer
?

??????

This is a Skyrim board for, well, Skyrim. And it obviously attracts TES players.

I literally do not understand why you are asking a Skyrim board, in the Skyrim section instead of the gaming/idle chatter section, about a completely different game.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
Its a great game and definitely worth getting.

If you play Skyrim, you can play Fallout really, there are quests, skills, people to talk to and all that stuff. The levelling works differently, I found this wierd for a while, you gain xp and when you level up, you get a number of points to put into skills. So you can get to level 100 in small guns without even firing a bullet.

There are factions, like the brotherhood of steel that you might run across from time to tine and do the odd quest for, but none are really joinable with seperate, individual questlines. It is definitely similar to Skyrim and Oblivion, but there are some big differences ( and I dont just mean the setting).

In terms of rp, it has a fair bit to offer, I suppose. Not as much as Skyrim though. New Vegas may be better for rp as it has hardcore mode, where you need to eat, sleep, and drink.

Both of the latest fallout games will be pretty cheap now and are definitely worth getting.

There are undoubtedly some things I've missed that other people may point out, but hope this helped a bit :)

Grob

Ok, I got Fallout 3 and I love it. I wouldn't call it a future version of Skyrim, it's the world as if the culture stayed in the 1950's, but then there was a nuke war (still, there is energy weapons), so it's mostly wasteland. A few bad things from Oblivion were fixed in Fallout 3, then executed better in Skyrim (e.g. lockpicking).

Most of the guilds in 3 you can't join, but they are: Brotherhood of Steel, Enclave, Brotherhood Outcasts, Slavers, you could call Mutants a faction, and there is another guild which I'm not sure of the name but you can find them by talking around Megaton (the first city you'll find).

As far as RP goes, NV is better for Hardcore Mode. To RP in 3 you'll want mods, but if you get it on a console you'll still be able to choose things like a merchant (follow around a trading caravan), wanderer (stay out in the Wastes), defend Bigtown (you'll find out about them later) and so on. If you want to know a bit about the lore just reply!

Characters to play are humans (Asian, Caucasian, Hispanic, etc.), but if you get it on a computer there will probably be mods for ghouls (humans that were a bit messed up from the nukes, look like zombies). The classes aren't really there, as you will probably use guns (big, small or energy) as there is not much melee and unarmed weapons. You level when you get enough xp (from killing enemies or doing missions). When you level you pick a perk (different to Skyrim as they are not in trees), and put points into a skill (e.g. mechanic, science, small guns, big guns, etc.) The points you get are determined by your Intelligence, which is decided at the start of the game when you pick your S.P.E.C.I.A.L, or Strength (how much you carry, and damage for melee?), Perception (enemies detection), Endurance (health), Charisma (prices, talking/negotiate), Intelligence (points for skills), Agility (not sure, gun damage maybe?) and Luck (critical hits, the useless skill). You'll have to look in a manual for the exact things.

You'll have to look for mods yourself, but there are swords in the game already!:p

I loved it, hope this helps you. One note though, if you get 3 buy the GOTY edition, because if you don't the game forces you to start a new character at the end of the main questline, instead of being able to do whatever you want afterwards!!!!!:)

It's a very nice game. The characters are a little inhuman looking, and the graphics are by no means cutting edge, but the story and gameplay flows well. It's got a moderately large map, plenty of interesting skills, perks and cities. Though, as Grob said, RPing in Fallout 3 is nearly impossible without mods. Fallout has a stats system similar to previous games' traits or whatever they were. The trade is my favorite part of the game, I feel they did that best. It was much more a barter system, as the shopkeepers don't have much money on them. You'll be trading your salvage for ammo or guns more than just selling it. You get a player home very early on, so feel free to make that your little base.

The bad side of the game is that the movement is a bit janky. You feel more like you'll be controlling a rectangle more than a person. It takes some time. It also has some famous Bethesda hit-boxing, so shooting around most items is a lost cause. You need the Broken Steel DLC to play past the "ending". Unlike in Skyrim, most NPCs react to how the story ends *coughskyrimcivilwarcough*. Weapon durability is in this, so you'll need to get a shopkeeper to repair it, or put skill points into the repair skill and use a duplicate weapon to repair.

The game is very dependant on skill points. You don't level skills by using them, you level by putting the 15-ish point you get into the skill you want, being able to spread them around as you choose. For example, you might put 5 into Small Guns, 5 into Big Guns and 5 into Repair. Sometime you need certain skills to get through challenges, such as a speech check (requires speech, give x% chance of success) or the ability to repair machinery.

All in all, it's a great game with a great background. A good 8/10.

Grob

It's a very nice game. The characters are a little inhuman looking, and the graphics are by no means cutting edge, but the story and gameplay flows well. It's got a moderately large map, plenty of interesting skills, perks and cities. Though, as Grob said, RPing in Fallout 3 is nearly impossible without mods. Fallout has a stats system similar to previous games' traits or whatever they were. The trade is my favorite part of the game, I feel they did that best. It was much more a barter system, as the shopkeepers don't have much money on them. You'll be trading your salvage for ammo or guns more than just selling it. You get a player home very early on, so feel free to make that your little base.

The bad side of the game is that the movement is a bit janky. You feel more like you'll be controlling a rectangle more than a person. It takes some time. It also has some famous Bethesda hit-boxing, so shooting around most items is a lost cause. You need the Broken Steel DLC to play past the "ending". Unlike in Skyrim, most NPCs react to how the story ends *coughskyrimcivilwarcough*. Weapon durability is in this, so you'll need to get a shopkeeper to repair it, or put skill points into the repair skill and use a duplicate weapon to repair.

The game is very dependant on skill points. You don't level skills by using them, you level by putting the 15-ish point you get into the skill you want, being able to spread them around as you choose. For example, you might put 5 into Small Guns, 5 into Big Guns and 5 into Repair. Sometime you need certain skills to get through challenges, such as a speech check (requires speech, give x% chance of success) or the ability to repair machinery.

All in all, it's a great game with a great background. A good 8/10.

Ah, yes I have to agree with the trade, although I wish I had a pc to play it with so I could mod so the prices were higher and the selling prices were lower.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Those guys hit the nail on the head for sure.

One of the major difference aside from having guns is the leveling

First of all, XP and leveling. You get XP for killing enemies, picking locks, hacking terminals, completing quests, etc. All of that XP is counted towards the same thing - your level. It is much different since in Skyrim, XP you get from killing or whatnot is put into separate categories, then from there it is counted into your overall level. In Fallout, it goes directly into your overall level.

Also, skills are reversed. You do not level up your skills by exercising them, like in Skyrim. When you level up, you are allotted 15 points (that is the base, you can raise that with Intelligence) to distribute however you like into any of the skill categories. This is the only time you are able to put points into these skills. These skills help you boost your efficiency in that given area.
Basically, you can only raise your skills when you level up. Each point you put into a skill will increase you proficiency in that given field. Example, you put your 15 points into Small Guns (assault rifles, handguns, etc.). That allows you to deal more damage with weapons categorized as 'Small Guns'. In Fallout, skills affect you, you don't affect skills.

Perks are not in trees, and rather are listed. Each perk has a specific level requirement you have to meet before choosing a perk. Some perks also have a skill requirement, like one perk may require a science skill of 50 to choose. Once again, you may only increase your skills once you have leveled. You may only choose one perk per level, like Skyrim.

S.P.E.C.I.A.L. is also a huge difference. Special stands for -
Strength - lets you carry more, stronger with melee
Perception - better radar, enemy detection
Endurance - health, damage resistance
Charisma - speech, bartering, trading, etc.
Intelligence - increases amount of skill points available, some other effects
Agility - overall character speed, probably something else
Luck - critical hits and such

SPECIAL traits are ranked from 1 to 10, and you are able to set these to your liking at the beginning of the game. They each start at 5, and you have 5 or so points to put into them. You can also take points out, basically allowing you to pick and choose how you want the basics of your character to look like. A strong, melee guy? Put them in strength. A nerd? Intelligence, and so forth. You have opportunities to increase these with perks and gear that increases them, but this is the basis for your character.

Apart from leveling differences, weapons have durability. The more you use it, the more it wears down. In Fallout 3, you must raise your repair skill to repair weapons on your own. In order to do this, you need another weapon of the same kind you are repairing, then you can go into your inventory and repair one with the other. You also have the option of getting it repaired by a vendor, but I find that to get expensive fast.

Oh, and armor has durability as well. The more hits you take, the more it wears down. Same repair deal as weapons.

When something's durability reaches 0, you cannot use the weapon anymore. With armor, you can initially continue wearing it, but it does not protect you at all. It stays broken until you repair it, obviously.

Guns change the game quite a bit, as you need to keep track of ammunition. Different guns require different ammo, obviously.

Drugs are the Fallout equivalent of potions, except there is no alchemy, you have to buy them.

That's all I can think of off the top of my head, hope it helps. Just some major and minor differences.

jarif

?

??????

This is a Skyrim board for, well, Skyrim. And it obviously attracts TES players.

I literally do not understand why you are asking a Skyrim board, in the Skyrim section instead of the gaming/idle chatter section, about a completely different game.
since i dont know where else to put it besides iv only played skyrim :p

jarif

thanks guys :D - im already escaped in the outside world but i dont know how to adjust the camera permenatly

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
thanks guys :D - im already escaped in the outside world but i dont know how to adjust the camera permenatly

For ps3, i think you hold in L2 (or whatever switches from 1st to 3rd person) and either use L1/R1 to zoom in/out.

So if you are on PC ( i assume you are as you asked about mods ) i would try holding in the camera switch button and then maybe rolling the mouse wheel or messing about with some of the other buttons, like the arrow keys or something. Once the camera is where you want it, just let go of all the buttons and it should stay set.

This may help a bit, or i may have just accidentally wasted 2 minutes of your time... :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
For ps3, i think you hold in L2 (or whatever switches from 1st to 3rd person) and either use L1/R1 to zoom in/out.

So if you are on PC ( i assume you are as you asked about mods ) i would try holding in the camera switch button and then maybe rolling the mouse wheel or messing about with some of the other buttons, like the arrow keys or something. Once the camera is where you want it, just let go of all the buttons and it should stay set.

This may help a bit, or i may have just accidentally wasted 2 minutes of your time... :)
For me it's R3.

Delusional

Connoisseur of Hallucinations
Ah, lore?

I shall give you a link! To lore!

The Great War and it's prelude - http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Great_War

That's all you really need. There's not much else to Fallout, because the entire game is you surviving in the post-apocalyptic world, and each game covers it's own story about the survival of that specific area. All the lore you really need to know is the prelude the the nuclear Armageddon, because honestly, the only lore similarity in Fallout games is that you are living in a post-Great War, post-apocalyptic world ravaged by nuclear bombs.

RY14NCE

Dragonborn
For me it's R3.

Same here, but i had to switch it in the settings, I think. i was so used to the Elder Scrolls settings from Oblivion at the time i got annoyed, trying to pick stuff up, only to switch camera...

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
Same here, but i had to switch it in the settings, I think. i was so used to the Elder Scrolls settings from Oblivion at the time i got annoyed, trying to pick stuff up, only to switch camera...
Just works best as R3 for me as I spend 90% of my time in 1st unless I'm in hand to hand combat, in which case 3rd is easier.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts