• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jeruhmi

Thanks for sharing. I read up on the necromancer and it looks pretty cool :)
Everyone is commenting on the visuals, they look great, I just hope the gameplay is good.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
It’ll be interesting to see how jobs and professions like alchemy (which was kind of lame in Oblivion) will work. I hope they did some serious redesigning and reinventing there.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
It’ll be interesting to see how jobs and professions like alchemy (which was kind of lame in Oblivion) will work. I hope they did some serious redesigning and reinventing there.
well, you no longer can make potions with alchemy on the go. You have to make them on an alchemy station. I guess that leaves more room for resource management part of the game. Plan ahead and make potions rather than make them as you need them.

Also, the ingredient system is somewhat similar. the properties are not determined by your skill level. to find the first alchemic property, you have to eat the ingredient. to find others, you must mix them randomly until you find a result. mixing ingredients with nothing in common will fail so there's a lot of experimenting.

As for smithing, I believe you can upgrade your gears and weapons and forge them too. I think you have to mine the minerals yourself and smelt them. pretty much everything that is required to do some real smithing

because enchanting is a skill of its own, returning from morrowind, they definitely redesigned it.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
That’s good to hear. If the alchemy system is like the one in “The Witcher 2” then I could definitely take a liking to it.

Jeruhmi

well, you no longer can make potions with alchemy on the go. You have to make them on an alchemy station. I guess that leaves more room for resource management part of the game. Plan ahead and make potions rather than make them as you need them.

Also, the ingredient system is somewhat similar. the properties are not determined by your skill level. to find the first alchemic property, you have to eat the ingredient. to find others, you must mix them randomly until you find a result. mixing ingredients with nothing in common will fail so there's a lot of experimenting.

As for smithing, I believe you can upgrade your gears and weapons and forge them too. I think you have to mine the minerals yourself and smelt them. pretty much everything that is required to do some real smithing

because enchanting is a skill of its own, returning from morrowind, they definitely redesigned it.
I think this new feature of an alchemy station is a lot more practical in the sense that it's more challenging. Being able to perform alchemy on the go in older titles was just too easy.
This will allow us to think out our plans more and hopefully plan successfully.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
I think this new feature of an alchemy station is a lot more practical in the sense that it's more challenging. Being able to perform alchemy on the go in older titles was just too easy.
This will allow us to think out our plans more and hopefully plan successfully.
I completely agree with you. It does make it a bit annoying but portable alchemy kit made alchemy feel really trivial. You pause the game, make potions in few clicks of a button, then use them. This time, they even have alchemy animation LOL I do hope that doesn't get annoying. Maybe only when you make a new discovery I guess

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
The experimenting part of is could definitely spice things up (pun intended). With this a formula would be a great quest reward that could save you hours of trial-and-error. Regarding the stationary alchemy table, there should be some use for ingredients on the run though. Maybe (again, like in “The Witcher”) you could eat some of the ingredients raw to receive some lesser benefits and perhaps some “penalties” for eating them raw?

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah, you're right. Now that there's alchemy station, ingredients do play a larger role in some sense. If you run out of potions, you could try eating raw ingredient for lesser effect... or just run away.

On the other note, I wish that alchemy can also make 'unique' potions. In oblivion the whole alchemy mechanic was boring. The effects were mostly just 'X effect over Y time'. All the potions were nameless too. I hope you can brew some unique potions like skooma or poisonous apples. you could be a drug dealer who supplies junkies with skooma or you could be a nefarious person who would place apples on plates in tavern and 'accidently' forget it there.

Demut

Veritas vos liberabit
Unique effects would rock! How about a morphing potion à la Harry Potter? It would be funny to see special potions used in certain missions. Maybe they could take up that idea of faking one’s death with a potion (to escape a loan shark, for example) and later “reviving” the person with another potion.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah, that sounds pretty awesome.
I hear there's more types of poison this time around. It's definitely something to look forward to. Just imagine what kind of poison you can make and use on your enemy. Its effect could be like the one from Assassin's Creed. Let's say you want to break into a place but there's too many people so you break out a non-lethal hallucinogenic poison to make a victim go crazy and berserk in a seizure-like fashion. While everyone is eyeing on the crazy dancing guy, your theft would be an easier job than it was before.

Jeruhmi

The experimenting part of is could definitely spice things up (pun intended). With this a formula would be a great quest reward that could save you hours of trial-and-error. Regarding the stationary alchemy table, there should be some use for ingredients on the run though. Maybe (again, like in “The Witcher”) you could eat some of the ingredients raw to receive some lesser benefits and perhaps some “penalties” for eating them raw?
I think you should be able to gain from eating them raw, and as you said have it so you may be able to contract a disease, or illness from it being raw. That reminds me of the latest additions to MineCraft with the raw meats, if you eat them you are temporarily poisoned.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts