PC Game Keeps Crashing

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

xxAlphaNickxx

While I was playing on one of my saves my game froze which never happens. So, I restarted my computer and decided to get on later on in the day. Now the game will load like normal until the Bethesda symbol dissapears then it crashes back to my game library. I tried deleting some potential mods and even deleting some of the saves I have, but still no luck. If you have had this problem before and know how to fix it I would be very happy to hear about it.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
Hmm are you running it through Steam? Sometimes games can lose files for strange reasons, if it is through steam you can select the game in your library, then right click "Properties" then on one of the tabs you should find "Verify Game Cache" which is an auto-repair built in lost file reclaimer, basically repairs corrupted or missing files by re-downloading them.

If its from a Game CD and your inserting a Disc, the disc might be scratched beyond repair. Though game library sounds like Steam?

Mods are alterations or additional content, but usually are tested before release, the key is determining whether its to do with Skyrim itself (basegame) or added external content.

Crashes can also come from Hardware issues, bad resolution that doesn't match with your monitor resolution, incapable graphics cards etc.

Just some ideas to try.

Restarting a computer doesn't usually solve a problem, simply because nothing has really been changed.

xxAlphaNickxx

Thanks for your help and sorry for the late reply. I had done what you had said by doing the whole viewing integrity of game cache thing in the properties section. After doing it it says that a file failed to validate and will be reacquired. I assumed that after it said that the problem would be fixed and I would be able to play, but it doesn't seem like that is the case. If I have to do something after I do the game cache thing please let me know.

Harkin

Necromatic Mastermind
ah if it validated and reaquired something, then thats good news, but maybe if theres still problems - a complete uninstall and reinstall?

i would back up save data first, as in

Programfiles/Steam/Steamapps/Skyrim - The skyrim folder you might wanna copy and paste it into a folder onto your desktop or something, just for safety reasons.

Save files, any data you want to keep before you reinstall.

Most of the time, complete reinstalls fix things, then try installing the mods you had one by one.

The problem with mods are, EVERY single one modifies something in Skyrim, and without knowing what exactly it modifies...down the line you are bound to encounter issues.

If I had pc, I'd love mods, but always check the Readme.txt files before actually adding the mods to skyrim, you wanna know exactly what its changing.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts