1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice

From Skyrim to Oblivion: Roleplayer's Paradise

Discussion in 'General Skyrim Discussion' started by Porchdrinker, May 7, 2013.

1. Porchdrinker

Porchdrinker Member

Skyrim was my first ever RPG, and I sank a good 1500 hours into it since buying it a month after release. I like to slow play my characters, doing a ton of roleplay and generally avoiding the main quest. After becoming obsessed with Elder Scrolls lore, I recently decided to try Oblivion for the first time because I wanted to visit the Imperial City and get to know Cyrodil a bit.

Yes, the graphics are worse, and some of the gameplay mechanics are inferior to Skyrim, but I'm absolutely enthralled. The role play possibilities are endless. Haggling. Persuasion mini-games. Larger cities. Better NPC dialogue (in my opinion). A journal logging details of every quest. 36 inns. Beer. Gambling. The Arena, Guild halls in every city. More clothing and armor options. A mortar and pestle for on-the-road alchemy. The ability to name potions. For someone like me who just likes to explore and use gameplay to create stories, Oblivion is the perfect game. It's like the massive Skyrim DLC I always wanted but never got. It literally has every roleplay-friendly feature that was on my Skyrim DLC wish list.

I've read so many interesting journals and character backstories on this forum relating to Skyrim, so i know immersive roleplayers are present here. If anyone plays Skyrim the way I do and has not yet tried Oblivion, or if you're bummed about the fact that no more DLC will be made for Skyrim, i strongly encourage you to give Oblivion a shot.

(Yes, I know this could have been posted in the Oblivion forums on this site, but this forum is where the hardcore Skyrim in-game roleplayers are.)

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 2
  2. Locks066

Locks066 Member

good advice indeed....

Oblivion may not be the newest elder scrolls released but it still is an amazing game. When i get sick of legendary edition when it comes out i'll be sure to play it again.

• Agree Agree x 1
  3. Gearuvagen

Gearuvagen I know, You know

Oblivion has Sean Mother fluffin' Bean! That's really all that needs to be said. :D

• Agree Agree x 1
  4. Twiffle

Twiffle Well-Known Member

I couldnt agree with you more. Skyrim was developed for one reason only, CASH.

• Disagree Disagree x 1
  5. NiteMare

NiteMare Presto Change'O !!

Oblivion is a kicka$$ game

6. Nocte Aeterna

Nocte Aeterna Sir Not-Appearing-in-This-Film

Something I never understood: Why on earth does Oblivion have far more actual content than Skyrim? Aren't succeeding games in a series supposed to include more?

Granted, this obviously won't be entirely true. But it's a common sense sort of philosophy.

7. gangraad

gangraad dragonguard

you should really try out morrowind aswell.

8. Joker

Joker Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker

There were The Elder Scrolls games before Skyrim for the consoles?

9. Two Bears

Two Bears Active Member

Skyrim is an awesome game indeed, but it follows the pattern of increasingly shallow gameplay that has been happening since Daggerfall. The combat system is primitive at best, and leveling is completely broken, but Oblivion offers a whole lot more to do in the way of "stuff".

10. Joker

So, Oblivion is another in the TES line, that is available for PS3/XBox?

11. Two Bears

Two Bears Active Member

Yes, as is Morrowind. Daggerfall and Arena, however, are PC exclusive.

12. Joker

Well, I might have to look into this revelation..... Thanks for sharing.:beermug:

13. raven63

raven63 Member

You can get Morrowind for 360 as a game of the year pack like my copy but it's an Xbox original so it might be sold any longer