• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Was this helpful to you?

• Yes.

Votes: 4 44.4%
  • No.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • I already knew how to do all of it.

Votes: 5 55.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stone

Retired Moderator
FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)

Topics

- Login and Registration Issues.
- User Preferences and settings.
- Posting issues.
- Formatting and topic types.
- User levels and groups.
- Private Messaging.

Login and Registration Issues

Why can’t I login?
There are several reasons why this could occur. First, make sure your username and password are correct. If they are, contact Renegader to make sure you haven’t been banned.

Why do I need to register at all?
Registration will give you access to additional features not available to guest users such as avatar images, private messaging, usergroups, etc. It only takes a few moments to register so it is recommended you do so.

Why do I get logged off automatically?
If you do not check the Log me in automatically box when you login, the board will only keep you logged in for a preset time. This prevents use of your account by anyone else. To stay logged in, check the box during login. This is not recommended if you access the board from a shared computer, e.g. library, internet cafe, university computer lab, etc.

stayloggedin.jpg

I’ve lost my password!
Don’t panic! While your password cannot be retrieved, it can easily be reset. Visit the login page and click I’ve forgotten my password. Follow the instructions and you should be able to log in again shortly.

forgotyourpassword.jpg

I registered in the past but cannot login any more?!
Attempt to locate the e-mail sent to you when you first registered, check your username and password and try again. It is possible an administrator has deactivated or deleted your account for some reason. Also, many boards periodically remove users who have not posted for a long time to reduce the size of the database. If this has happened, try registering again and being more involved in discussions.

Why can’t I register?
It is possible that your IP address has been banned or the forums disallow the username you are attempting to register. It could also be that registration is disabled to prevent new visitors from signing up. Contact Renegader for assistance.

User Preferences and settings

How do I change my password?

You can change your password by hovering over your username at the top right hand of the screen, and then selecting password from the menu that appears. From there, follow the instructions to changing your password.

How do I change my settings?
If you are a registered user, all your settings are stored in a database. To change them, visit your Profile Page; a link can be found by clicking on your username at the top right of the screen. This system will allow you to change all your settings and preferences.

howtochangesettings1.jpg

The times are not correct!
It is possible the time displayed is from a timezone different from the one you are in. If this is the case, visit your Preferences page by hovering over your username at the top right of the screen and selecting 'Preferences' and change your timezone to match your particular area, e.g. London, Paris, New York, Sydney, etc. Please note that changing the timezone, like most settings, can only be done by registered users. If you are not registered, this is a good time to do so.

timezone1.jpg
timezone2.jpg

I changed the timezone and the time is still wrong!
If you are sure you have set the timezone and Summer Time/DST correctly and the time is still incorrect, then the time stored on the server is incorrect. Please notify an administrator to correct the problem.

How do I show an image along with my username?
There are images which may appear along with a username when viewing posts. Usually a large image, is known as an avatar and is sometimes unique or personal to each user. It is up to the board administrator to enable avatars and to choose the way in which avatars can be made available. If you are unable to use avatars, contact a board administrator and ask them for their reasons. To upload an avatar, click on your username at the top right of the screen and you will be able to see 'Avatar' there.

Posting Issues

How do I post a topic in a forum?
To post a new topic in a forum, click the relevant button on either the forum or topic screens. You may need to register before you can post a message.

How do I edit or delete a post?
Unless you are a board administrator or moderator, you can only edit or delete your own posts. You can edit a post by clicking the edit button for the relevant post, sometimes for only a limited time after the post was made. If someone has already replied to the post, you will find a small piece of text output below the post when you return to the topic which lists the number of times you edited it along with the date and time. This will only appear if someone has made a reply; it will not appear if a moderator or administrator edited the post, though they may leave a note as to why they’ve edited the post at their own discretion.

How do I add a signature to my post?
To add a signature to a post, hover over your username at the top right of the screen and select "Signature". You can place images, text and even videos in your signature.

signature1.jpg

How do I edit or delete a poll?
As with posts, polls can only be edited by the original poster, a moderator or an administrator. To edit a poll, click to edit the first post in the topic; this always has the poll associated with it. If no one has cast a vote, users can delete the poll or edit any poll option.

Why can’t I access a forum?
Some forums may be limited to certain users or groups. To view, read, post or perform another action you may need special permissions. Contact a moderator or board administrator to grant you access.

Why did I receive a warning?
Each board administrator has their own set of rules for their site. If you have broken a rule, you may be issued a warning. Contact a moderator or administrator if you are unsure about why you were issued a warning.

How can I report posts to a moderator?
If the board administrator has allowed it, you should see a button for reporting posts next to the post you wish to report. Clicking this will walk you through the steps necessary to report the post.

report1.jpg

Why does my post need to be approved?
The media section has a requirement to be reviewed before submission. It is also possible that the administrator has placed you in a group of users whose posts require review before submission.

Formatting and Topic Types

What are Smilies?
Smilies, or Emoticons, are small images which can be used to express a feeling using a short code, e.g. :) shows happy, while :sadface:shows sad. The full list of emoticons can be seen in the posting form. Try not to overuse smilies, as they can quickly render a post unreadable and a moderator may edit them out or remove the post altogether. The board administrator may also have set a limit to the number of smilies you may use within a post.

Can I post images?
Yes, images can be shown in your posts.

What are announcements?
Announcements often contain important information for the forum you are currently reading and you should read them whenever possible. Announcements appear in the 'Announcements' section of the forum.

What are sticky topics?
Sticky topics are often quite important or the thread has been deemed helpful. Stickies remain bumped at the top of the board, whilst normal posts don't. You should read them whenever possible. Only moderators and administrators can set a topic as a sticky.

What are locked topics?
Locked topics are topics where users can no longer reply and any poll it contained was automatically ended. Topics may be locked for many reasons and were set this way by either the forum moderator or board administrator.

User Levels and Groups

What are Administrators?
Administrators are members assigned with the highest level of control over the entire board. These members can control all of board operation, including setting permissions, banning users, creating usergroups or moderators, etc. They may also have full moderator capabilities in all forums, depending on the settings. We currently have one intelligent administrator, which is Renegader.

What are Moderators?
Moderators are individuals (or groups of individuals) who look after the forums from day to day. They have the authority to edit or delete posts and lock, unlock, move, delete and split topics in the forum they moderate. Generally, moderators are to prevent users from going off-topic or posting abusive or offensive material. We currently have two friendly and enthusiastic moderators, Rayven and Stone who are determined to make your stay on Skyrim Forums as wonderful as possible.

moderators1.jpg

Private Messaging

How do I send private messages?
In this forum, the inbox is used as a private messaging system. In order to private message someone, click on there username and choose "Start a conversation" follow the steps in order to send them a message. You can read reply's by clicking on the 'Inbox' tab at the top of the screen.

inbox1.jpg

Stone

Retired Moderator
23rd December 2011

• "Topics" added to top of page
  • "How do I change my password" added to User Preferences and settings

Stone

Retired Moderator
oh wow. Helpful as always, Stone. Just curious, do people actually ask you about this sort of stuff? The forum design feels rather intuitive, it's hard to imagine anyone being this confused.
Yes, I do get a few inbox messages from new people every now and again.

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yes, I do get a few inbox messages from new people every now and again.
Oh, I see. I suppose it's not all that surprising. I'm glad I turned down the offer to become a moderator of this forum because I will never be as awesome at moderating as you. I would hate to deal with that sort of work and I will probably do a terrible job at it :/

Stone

Retired Moderator
Oh, I see. I suppose it's not all that surprising. I'm glad I turned down the offer to become a moderator of this forum because I will never be as awesome at moderating as you. I would hate to deal with that sort of work and I will probably do a terrible job at it :/
I wouldn't say that I'm awesome, but thanks. It's just past experience. I can understand why people wouldn't like to do this sort of thing, but I like it. I'm sure you wouldn't do a bad job, but I get what your saying. :p

Panthera

Don Gato
Woman (I guess), you write a jurnal of your game play in Skyrim...:eek:

I wouldn't say that I'm awesome, but thanks. It's just past experience. I can understand why people wouldn't like to do this sort of thing, but I like it. I'm sure you wouldn't do a bad job, but I get what your saying. :p
...I agree with Stone I doubt you would do a bad job... You are just saying that becouse you don't want to bother with dealing all that... I feel the same ;) :D

Any way Stone you have my respect for your work here.

Panthera

Don Gato
I'm a dude lol

Sorry my bad, the breast on your avatar fooled me... I never thought your avatar could have implants... why did you put implants on your avatar??? Sorry again, I just couldn't help my self not making a joke. :D :D :D

Panthera

Don Gato

Picture of your avatar, the female cat is on it. Based on picture I kinda thought you are female. You don't have male or female on your profile, so I couldn't tell.

Panthera

Don Gato
Your kidding right? Hover over your name click personal details, and choose your gender. And that is it. :)

hexperiment

The Experimentalist
Yeah, it was a joke. I mean, I am posting this on forum FAQ forum, even writing down '*troll-face*' :I I don't really like posting s/a/l because it gets in the way of interacting with people online sometimes.

Latest posts