Fortify magicka or magicka regen?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Maxje1

Hello everyone,

I have got 100 enchanting, 100 smithing and 100 alchemy, and I've done the enchanting loop. Right now I've come at the point where I want to make a 100% destruction reduction armor set, but that only costs one of the 2 enchantments I can use per armor piece since I've got the perk Extra Effect. Now I'm wondering as you mostly only need the other 4 magic schools for setup (conjure frost attronach, invisibility, etc.) I was asking myself:

Should I choose for extra magicka or extra magicka regen?

I got 240 mana passively (by level upgrading) and I can achieve 4 * 82 + 240 = 568 mana in total plus an additive +10% magicka regen (because on the 'armor' piece of the set, as first enchantment I use ''Fortify destruction & magicka regen'', because with the foritfy enchanting potion (+32%) and the rest of the set with the pure ''Fortify destruction'' on it, I'll still reach -105% destruction cost which is more than enough, I'd say.)

On the other hand, I could get a 4 * 82 + 10 = 338% magicka regen.

Which of the two, fortify magicka or fortify magicka regen, should I choose for, considering that of the 4 other schools in magic are mostly setup spells?

Thanks for reading the wall of text and replying with your opinion and reasons :)

PsyLens

Atomsk
Having put a lot of thought into this myself i understand your dilemma. Tho i haven't gotten 100 on my skills yet, the problem i foresee with magicka regen is that my breton is a sneaky assassin and for certain problems i would craft a
dragon fighting outfit (spell sword - free restoration for eternal wards against dragon breath since its not considered elemental magic, plus buffs, health and free destruction or alteration based on weapon enchant being free)
and a sneaky outfit ( free illusion for free invisibility and free alteration for free paralyze)

After that the question that i asked myself, that your build and perk choice might make your answer different than mine, is: Does the regular outfit that i plan to wear when I'm not dealing with those specific problems need this fast of a regen?
I use magicka for support so i rarely empty my magicka bar. I feel like when i can double enchant health regen would be better for my intended build. with armor cap at 80% but magicka absorb at 80% and stacking magic resistance at 85% means I'm more susceptible to melee damage and I laugh at mages, brushing their spells off like dust. Since i wouldn't use that much magic and am more in danger from physical damage i plan on going the faster health regen route.

But again all that depends on your build. If you're a mage, how many perks did you put on half off cost to a magic skill? so many skills half off might mean you can have up to 4 free schools of free magic by my calcultions.

sorry for the long answer

Maxje1

Having put a lot of thought into this myself i understand your dilemma. Tho i haven't gotten 100 on my skills yet, the problem i foresee with magicka regen is that my breton is a sneaky assassin and for certain problems i would craft a
dragon fighting outfit (spell sword - free restoration for eternal wards against dragon breath since its not considered elemental magic, plus buffs, health and free destruction or alteration based on weapon enchant being free)
and a sneaky outfit ( free illusion for free invisibility and free alteration for free paralyze)

After that the question that i asked myself, that your build and perk choice might make your answer different than mine, is: Does the regular outfit that i plan to wear when I'm not dealing with those specific problems need this fast of a regen?
I use magicka for support so i rarely empty my magicka bar. I feel like when i can double enchant health regen would be better for my intended build. with armor cap at 80% but magicka absorb at 80% and stacking magic resistance at 85% means I'm more susceptible to melee damage and I laugh at mages, brushing their spells off like dust. Since i wouldn't use that much magic and am more in danger from physical damage i plan on going the faster health regen route.

But again all that depends on your build. If you're a mage, how many perks did you put on half off cost to a magic skill? so many skills half off might mean you can have up to 4 free schools of free magic by my calcultions.

sorry for the long answer

Hey, thanks for your taking your time to answer.
I did not put any perks in any tree of magic, I know. But really the only thing I want and need is the fortify destruction. The other enchantment has to be like a allround magic enchantment, so fortify magicka or the regen. I'm going to test both of them now, with a save file. But what do you theoretically think is the best option?

Thanks again.
PS. It is not possible to have 2 the same enchantments (2xhealth regen e.g.) on one item.

PsyLens

Atomsk
Well since you want a magicka enchantment I'd look at it like this:
If I'm using all of my magicka bar I would probably use magicka regen. If I cannot cast a spell due to not having enough magicka most of the time then I would fortify Magicka.
My friend has magicka regen on like everything. When a dragon attacks him from the air he just puts his basic heal spell on both hands (dual casting) and the lower level dragon I saw him fight couldn't come close to killing him because his magicka bar hardly dropped. I've had fortify magicka on some of my stuff so I could cast 2 higher magicka cost spells back to back (summon & soul trap) when I was lower level.
So it really boils down to: Do you burn out your magicka bar from lots of uses (then get regen) or from massive spells that you don't use over and over again? ( then I'd get fortify magicka) And to cover all the bases, if you use magicka often and cast large spells over and over (other than destruction since it's free) I'd get magicka regen that way also.

p.s. You can sometimes break another enchant of the same kind and get a stronger enchant so that you can put both on the same item. I've heard you can do this with the shield of Solitude to get a stronger magicka resist enchat.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts