Xbox 360 Followers

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Jyd98

Hello, I am wondering if followers level up with you to there respective cap or do they stay at the level you meet them at.
I've been enjoying having Stenvar as a follower and I don't really want to have to replace him if he doesn't level up.

JoeReese

I have read that they level with you, but I have also read that you should dismiss them every so often so they can adjust. I'm not sure which is right, but there's some
discussion about it here, http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim_talk:Followers which may help...toward the bottom.

JoeReese

I don't know Stenvar's level cap, but I think Faendal's is 30 and I've used him well into the 70s. By the time your smithing and enchanting are at 100, you can armor him out the wazoo.
Throw some dual-enchanted protections on him, fire, frost, shock, magic, etc. The way I do usually is boots fire/frost, necklace, frost/shock, ring, shock, fire. At 100 enchanting and a potion or two, you can pull 40% protections pretty easily, so you'll have him nearly at the cap (I think 85% for magic). Smith up some good armor, and a Deathlord will be as a skeever to him.

Jyd98

I read on the wiki that he caps at 55. I'm getting my alchemy and enchanting up at the moment so by then I should be able to make some decent potions and enchantments. Thanks for the tips.

JoeReese

Here's Stenvar's page...looks like he runs the 10-40 range for level. I was hoping he'd be one of those followers who, even though he has heavy armor, is better with light. No such luck, but
you can still up-armor him. It just reduces his carry weight some. You can offset that, if you like, by changing the protection system to something like this..

boots, fire/carry weight
necklace, frost/magic resist
ring, shock/magic resist

You will need to put perks in fire/frost/shock enchanter, get or make the strongest enchanting potion you can, but you will still come pretty close to the cap. You may go from the low 80s down to the low 70s, but that's not a killer. If he's got a good supply of healing potions on him, you won't notice much difference, even with dragons.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Stenvar

JoeReese

Clarification: by 80s and 70s, I mean the combination of a particular elemental resistance and the general magic resistance. If you're enchanting 50% fire resist and 20% magic resist, the two should cover him. I am not certain whether the two magic resistance enchantments will stack. If they do, you'd be over the cap, but since I'm not sure I never count on it.

Jyd98

Sounds like Ill start using UESP instead of the elder scrolls wiki from now on. Luckily I don't really use followers for storage so I'm fine giving him heavy armor. I had no idea that followers could use healing potions so that's good to know as well. I just gave him some boots that give him 25% fire resist and it seems to be making a difference already.

Jyd98

I completely forgot about the cap. So having over that amount of resist is useless. Good to know.

JoeReese

If you're over level 23, you should start seeing weapons of expelling for sale. Disenchant one (pay whatever it takes, you'll get your money back plus some) and crank out banish weapons. You can take a 10 septim iron dagger and a 50 septim petty soul gem and make a 1500+ banish weapon that you can sell for over 700, even without barter perks. Buy every petty gem you find on the merchants, or even lessers are still worth it, and just keep cranking them out. Make sure you sleep first, so you're well rested, and your enchanting will be at 100 in no time flat. At 100, I found that the combination of banish/fear brings higher coin still.

JoeReese

I completely forgot about the cap. So having over that amount of resist is useless. Good to know.
Yes and no. I generally keep lots of ingredients on hand for enchanting/smithing potions, so I don't mind "wasting" them on making the highest enchantment possible, on the
off chance my follower decides to equip some off the wall ring and leave his protection ring in his pocket.

Jyd98

I just hit level 16 (new mage char) but Ill make sure to look for one once I hit 23. Ill be collecting literally every weapon I find on bandits so I have a hefty stash to enchant once I get there.

JoeReese

That's how I do it. I'm kind of hard core about "success" in Skyrim. I only wish it was that effective in real life. lol
If you already know this, forgive me, but if you buy a horse you can fast travel while over-encumbered. I usually stage loot in
a chest, urn, sack, or even on a body, near the front door. I've been known to make two or three trips back in the big dungeons.
When I'm done, I get the horse over there and pick it all up out of the container. A short trudge to the horse and I'm off to make-money land.

Jyd98

So going overboard is never a bad thing either. Good to know. I have had that issue with followers using some other piece of armor or weapon yhey found off the ground and I must say it gets annoying. Thank you for all the help!

JoeReese

Are you familiar with the concept of stacked enchantments? (ie: 4 pieces of 25% destruction gear = free destruction spells all day long)

Jyd98

I've always done back and forth trips in dungeons but somehow I have not noticed I could fast travel while over encumbered. That will save me loads of time.

JoeReese

So going overboard is never a bad thing either. Good to know. I have had that issue with followers using some other piece of armor or weapon yhey found off the ground and I must say it gets annoying. Thank you for all the help!

No worries. Enjoy. Just don't let me ruin it for you. I tend to go a little ape on getting things arranged in-game.

Jyd98

Thats the main reason Ive been doing enchanting. I cant wait for unlimited fireballs. What level would I be able to enchant up to 25% at?

JoeReese

I've never been able to pinpoint an actual player level, but when you're at 100 enchanting you should be there, maybe a little over with potions.
If I remember correctly, destruction is head, body, ring, necklace. (some, alchemy included, use head, hands, ring, necklace....smithing is body, as is alteration)
Depending on the direction you want to go, you could say helmet/armor/ring/necklace for destruction and then add a magic resistance later. If you feel you're running short
on elemental resistance that way, you can get 25% from the Lord Stone and another 15% from doing the Mara quest in Riften. And whatever race you are, if you have in-born
resistance, that opens an equipment slot you don't have to use.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts