Xbox 360 First post. Spell blade help

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Renthius

Hey guys...So I just finnaly got skyrim..I know Im way late. Anyways Im just starting out and im Rolling a high-Elf spell Blade. Im thinking 1 handed heavy armor Destro Restoration and Conjuring. Also my others Ill pump perks into are enchant and alchemy and either illusion or alteration. But which Is better Illusion or Alteration. Also does the rest of my build seem ok. From what I gathered you can play all too your licking and you wont be dwarfed but I just want to make sure Im not totally nerfing myself or anything. Thx ahead of time guys, PLz help

halcyondaiz

Finder of Warm Sands
Hmm, when I go spell blade, I always use a build like this:
High Elf/Dark Elf

1 handed

Light Armor (for speed & mobility because heavy armor slows you down until you've got at least skill level of 70 to earn the perk to make heavy armor weightless)

destruction

Restoration

Alchemy

Enchanting

Alteration

& then supplement it all with the Lover's Stone

I like the flesh spells you get under the alteration school. However, if you like the idea of using fear/frenzy for crowd control and to break up a mob, then by all means, invest in illusion.

It basically boils down to how you want to play, really. Spell blades are about flexibility, being able to easily shift between spell and blade, so illusion might buy you some time while they flee to regain health/mana. However, if you play offensively like I do, a cast of Oakflesh and you're good for a few more hits, which may be all that boss needs to crumble to the floor in defeat.

Conjuration? I don't use it much as a spell blade. That's just me. I find the primary skills to focus on are one handed weaponry and destruction, followed by light armor and illusion.

EDIT: also, I'd like to suggest a statistic focus of hp:40%, magicka&stamina: 30% each. Health will be important, of course, but mana equally so. Stamina, as well, for power attacks.

So, first four levels? Invest in health. Next three, mana, next three stamina. Repeat as you level. :) you'll be a fierce spellsword in no time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Joker

Cook, Wine Taster, Scotch Taster, Adventure Seeker
If you want to use Heavy Armor (HA), go get the steed stone until you level up enough to get the conditioning perk that makes your HA weigh nothing, which requires a skill level of 70 in HA.

As for the magicka schools, Destruction, Restoration, Conjuring, Illusion, & Alteration. I would pick two, and focus on them in the beginning. Too many skills will dilute your overall effectiveness. Do a little research on the Elder Scrolls Wiki, and on here, about the different schools and make an informed choice based on your desired play style.

Conjuration can be effective as a spell blade, as the bound sword is powerful, and will increase both your Conjuration and 1 Handed skills every time. With the added bonus of it not weighing anything, can be helpful with HA. However, conjuring a bound weapon, and casting a flesh spell for raising alteration could drain your magicka pool before both can be cast. While both can last longer than it takes for your magicka to recover, without enough magicka, you won't be able to cast both. Just something to think about.

I usually don't dabble in enchanting or alchemy, I prefer to make my armor and weapons better through smithing. Plus, once you get your smithing up to level 60, you can improve enchanted weapons & armor with the Arcane Blacksmith perk. So, I cannot speak to those skills.

I would build my Spell Blade like this:
Altmer - +50 in the magicka pool is like 5 free levels, and a bonus to me that is not overcome for some time.
1 Handed
Light Armor - or Heavy Armor with the Steed Stone
Destruction - higher skills here also impact destruction enchanted weapons
Restoration - can help in not having to carry so many healing potions
Smithing

I hope that helps. :beermug:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts