PC First Lessons glitch

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Loxoceles

I am standing on the targeted spot and I cast the requested ward. Tolfdir just stands there and nothing happens. I would like to get past the College of Magic's "First Lesson" stage but the system won't let me finish the task. Is there a way to make that lesson a done deal??

JoeReese

I get hung up there a lot. He'll tell me to put my ward up, then not cast, but keep telling me to put my ward up. Maybe try releasing see if he says it again? It takes me a few tries sometimes.

Loxoceles

Wow a many faceted glitch. He don't speak to me at all. Just stands there and if I try to talk to him I get the "this person is busy" note.

JoeReese

Wow a many faceted glitch. He don't speak to me at all. Just stands there and if I try to talk to him I get the "this person is busy" note.

Hmmm...haven't heard of that one before. I wonder, are you on the center of the floor seal? Maybe there's a trigger area, and it's not detecting you? Let me look in CK, see if there's an activator or something in that spot. I'll be Bach.

JoeReese

Ok, I'm not sure if this is even related to the problem, but just in case, here's the overhead view of the Hall of the Elements. The greenish box is the lesson area, which I understand to function as a trigger for the NPCs to begin their 'argument' about practicality vs safety, when the player crosses into it.

The red directional box on the right seal is the tolfdir casting marker, and the left (facing it) is the student casting marker. Try centering yourself about where that box is, and see if it triggers him.
If this is a bug, and not just a matter of being slightly off a line, then this won't help, and I'm not sure what will.

You can try to reset his AI, if you wish, by opening console with ~ and pointing at Tolfdir while you're in console. Click on him and you'll see his number come up, under your crosshairs. Type

resetai

and see if that helps. You could also try

resurrect

or

recycleactor

This is the page on the console commands, which will describe them and how to use them. ALWAYS save first.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:Console

Here's the UESP on the quest. Down in Notes and Bugs, it describes a couple of options you may try. If you don't want to kill a student, you may opt to try making a save, killing Tolfdir, and then immediately reloading the save. I don't know if that will reset him or not, but it works for merchants, to change what they have in stock.

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Skyrim:First_Lessons

Hopefully something in here will help you.

Attachments

• collegewinterholdtrigger.jpg
    collegewinterholdtrigger.jpg
    382.1 KB · Views: 6

TheJungleTiger

Tiger Princess
Same has happened to me and I play on the xbox! Have you caster the ward up while in the middle of him saying cast the ward up maybe that could be it.

Loxoceles

Thanks to you all. Now I gotta go try some of those tricks.

Loxoceles

Well, I tried the various suggestions with no luck. darn. So then I tried the suggestion in the Console 'FirstLesson bugs." kill one of the students, go pay your 1000 gold fine and then Tolfdir moves on to the "Under Saarthal" quest. Trouble is no guard would let me pay the fine. I had to kill 3 guards, My follower killed Faralda on the way back to Tolfdir. BUT IT WORKED, THE HANGUP IS PAST. Again, thankyou for the suggestions.

Loxoceles

Good news. Faralda wasn't dead. My follower just knocked her health to a dot. There are no guards in Winterhold. I thought they would respawn but not as yet. No one to accept my bounty.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts