Finding elemental weapons for Enchanting

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Radia964

I just got into enchanting weapons. Cool stuff! I realize you have "disenchant" an elemental weapon first in order to have that element for enchanting....
I just want to know, where and if I can find a - Lightning/electrified weapon fairly easily. Without buying one, If possible . To use for enchanting a better weapon.

Also, with the Soul Gems
Does a Soul gem have to be "filled" in order to enchant with it. Or can you use an empty one? I'm guessing the filled ones are stronger for enchanting.

Reactions: Sah

Twiffle

Traders for finding enchanted stuff you need, but I suggest just go and explore it's more fun, and gems have to filled,

Voorth

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy." - Josey Wales
I just got into enchanting weapons. Cool stuff! I realize you have "disenchant" an elemental weapon first in order to have that element for enchanting....
I just want to know, where and if I can find a - Lightning/electrified weapon fairly easily. Without buying one, If possible . To use for enchanting a better weapon.

Also, with the Soul Gems
Does a Soul gem have to be "filled" in order to enchant with it. Or can you use an empty one? I'm guessing the filled ones are stronger for enchanting.
If you don't find any in chests and off of dead enemies, most of the Blacksmiths in the towns carry enchanted weapons.

Sah

giggles......will send Sir Radia broke.....my favored $150 man.........massage time!:)

SPOILER ALERT

Enchanting Strategy
Sir Twiffle is very right:D.... hit the traders....you can find some cheap enchanted weapons....always buy cheap.....no point in buying a weapon 3000 gold just to destroy it.....after that random rewards from looting body's & chests........Tonilia at the Thieves guild has some of the cheapest but also some of the most expensive weapons, don't worrie though you will eventually find shock weapons galore....you wont know what to do with them except to sell

for enchanting strategy......collect & buy all the soul Gems you can......your first enchantment on a weapon should be Soul Trap so you can fill all your soul Gems.....(save any Black ones, to fill with a human soul).....once you fill all you Gems.....start enchanting anything you can find to get enchanting up....the higher the more stronger you can make your enchantments......to collect a lot of gems from quests, do anything with Dwemer involved.....the metal spiders & automatons usually have a gem inside them.....

NOTE: multitasking
Fill soul gems = increasing 1 x handed, 2 handed perks, archery perks
Do enchanting with gems = increase in enchanting perks
Sell all the enchanted weapons & armors = increase in bartering perks
if you have done smiting upgrades on all the weapons & armors you enchanted = increase in smiting perks & ups the price of weapons (more money for this one.....giggles)

then you can make strong weapons with powerful enchantments......if you get enchanting to 100....lets you put 2 enchantments on a weapon.....shock damage & soul trap, fire & shock damage...ext

Radia964

giggles......will send Sir Radia broke.....my favored $150 man.........massage time!:)

SPOILER ALERT

Enchanting Strategy
Sir Twiffle is very right:D.... hit the traders....you can find some cheap enchanted weapons....always buy cheap.....no point in buying a weapon 3000 gold just to destroy it.....after that random rewards from looting body's & chests........Tonilia at the Thieves guild has some of the cheapest but also some of the most expensive weapons, don't worrie though you will eventually find shock weapons galore....you wont know what to do with them except to sell

for enchanting strategy......collect & buy all the soul Gems you can......your first enchantment on a weapon should be Soul Trap so you can fill all your soul Gems.....(save any Black ones, to fill with a human soul).....once you fill all you Gems.....start enchanting anything you can find to get enchanting up....the higher the more stronger you can make your enchantments......to collect a lot of gems from quests, do anything with Dwemer involved.....the metal spiders & automatons usually have a gem inside them.....

NOTE: multitasking
Fill soul gems = increasing 1 x handed, 2 handed perks, archery perks
Do enchanting with gems = increase in enchanting perks
Sell all the enchanted weapons & armors = increase in bartering perks
if you have done smiting upgrades on all the weapons & armors you enchanted = increase in smiting perks & ups the price of weapons (more money for this one.....giggles)

then you can make strong weapons with powerful enchantments......if you get enchanting to 100....lets you put 2 enchantments on a weapon.....shock damage & soul trap, fire & shock damage...ext

Thanks for all that:confused: loads of info...and Also, sending me off penniless, without shirt on my back:sadface:

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
*cough-cough-hiddenmerchantchests-cough-cough*

What?

sticky runes

bandit chiefs and draugr lords often carry enchanted weapons on them, or you may find enchanted weapons in their large chests where you fight them.

Soul gems DO need to be filled in order to make your own enchantments. You can buy the soul trap spell from just about any court wizard. If you can find a weapon with the soul bind enchantment that will make filling soul gems a heck of a lot easier.

Remember that different sized soul gems can hold different sized enemy souls.

If you've only got petty and lesser soul gems, then you can only create low level enchantments which will wear out quickly or not be very effective, so if you find a nice enchanted item that increases your strength or smithing skills for example, then decide carefully before destroying it.

Last edited:

Bipolar Nord

Just another fanatical gamer
Dwemer Ruins is a good place to find enchanted weapons and soul gems. Just about all the machinations in a given ruin carries a filled soul gem of some type. Dwarven Centurions are an excellent source of Grand Soul Gems.

Radia964

Dwemer Ruins is a good place to find enchanted weapons and soul gems. Just about all the machinations in a given ruin carries a filled soul gem of some type. Dwarven Centurions are an excellent source of Grand Soul Gems.

Thanks alot. I haven't been to Dwemer ruins yet. I'm low level 18. I'll look for Dwarven Centurions.
I've only been putzing around in Whiterun, and recently Riften..
So just to get it straight. When you buy that Soul trap spell, It will automatically fill all your soul gems , that you find? If it does, definitely worth it...It seems like most higher gems I find are unfilled

Radia964

On that note: I'm curious...I've really only spent time in Whiterun and Riften, doing jobs, and other pl***.
I'm wondering what are the most interesting cities in Skyrim. I'll bet Solitude has gotta be one

Voorth

"Dyin' ain't much of a living, boy." - Josey Wales

Thanks alot. I haven't been to Dwemer ruins yet. I'm low level 18. I'll look for Dwarven Centurions.
I've only been putzing around in Whiterun, and recently Riften..
So just to get it straight. When you buy that Soul trap spell, It will automatically fill all your soul gems , that you find? If it does, definitely worth it...It seems like most higher gems I find are unfilled

With the Soul Trap spell, what you do is cast it at your enemy and they affect a purple glow (which is pretty hard to see). Then when they die, if you have an empty Soul Gem that is big enough for that particular soul (a mudcrab is small potatoes compared to a giant!), ONE soul gem will be filled. Alternately, you can have a Soul Trap effect on a weapon and when you hit an enemy, you have a certain time period to kill that enemy before the Soul Trap effect wears off of them. If you wait too long before they die, you don't get the soul. If you search for Skyrim Soul Gem, you can find out what enemies give what souls, and what size soul gems they require.

Bipolar Nord

Just another fanatical gamer
You need to know the different souls that you can trapped before casting a spell. Here's a link that will explain it a lot better than I can.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Gem_(Skyrim)

To answer your question, lets just say you have two soul gems in your inventory, a grand and petty. If you soul trap a skeever, the soul will be trapped in the "Petty" soul gem because a skeever's soul falls under the Petty soul gem. Your "Grand" soul gem will be left unfilled at least until you decide to trap another soul. If you see another skeever and soul trap it, that soul will go to your Grand soul gem because you don't have another Petty soul gem in your inventory. Before I learned about the different souls, I wasted a bunch of Grand soul gems by filling them up with lesser souls. It makes a difference whenever you go to enchant a weapon, the lesser the soul the lesser the enchantment. The get the biggest bang for your enchantment use higher souls such as Black or Grand. Use the lesser souls such as common, lesser, petty and so forth and so on to fill up your weapons.

Radia964

You need to know the different souls that you can trapped before casting a spell. Here's a link that will explain it a lot better than I can.

http://elderscrolls.wikia.com/wiki/Soul_Gem_(Skyrim)

To answer your question, lets just say you have two soul gems in your inventory, a grand and petty. If you soul trap a skeever, the soul will be trapped in the "Petty" soul gem because a skeever's soul falls under the Petty soul gem. Your "Grand" soul gem will be left unfilled at least until you decide to trap another soul. If you see another skeever and soul trap it, that soul will go to your Grand soul gem because you don't have another Petty soul gem in your inventory. Before I learned about the different souls, I wasted a bunch of Grand soul gems by filling them up with lesser souls. It makes a difference whenever you go to enchant a weapon, the lesser the soul the lesser the enchantment. The get the biggest bang for your enchantment use higher souls such as Black or Grand. Use the lesser souls such as common, lesser, petty and so forth and so on to fill up your weapons.

Ahh, I see It's relative to the size of the Beast V.S. The size of the Soul Gem. That sucks, cuz I sold a couple Black soul gems, not thinking they were any good..lol

I'll hit you with one more question,on buying - Spell tomes
from the Wizards... Being that I'm level 18- Wood Elf. I figured i could start buying higher level spell tomes -(like Apprentice - Frost Bite). But still the Wizards- Farengar (Whiterun) & Wyandler (Riften) are still mostly selling - Novice grade spell tomes
and very few - Apprentice grade ones.. Since my gameplay level is -Apprentice...What do you have to get higher grade of Spell tomes ?

Anyhow, thanks for the link and advice from the last one (*thumbs up*)

General Charles Xander

General of the 11th Imperial Legion
To start receiving Adept spells/clothes, your level in that certain skill must be 40 and higher.

Make sure you spend time leveling up speech. For example:
Amulet of Zenithar + Thieves Guild Hood + First Speech Perk = 30% better prices.

Just a thought. ;)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts