• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

How much do you like Solstheim?

• I love it!

Votes: 17 53.1%
  • I like it a lot.

Votes: 6 18.8%
  • It's okay.

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • I don't really like it.

Votes: 1 3.1%
  • I hate it.

Votes: 1 3.1%

• Total voters

LotusEater

I brake for blue butterflies
My favourite outside location (so far) is Tel Mithryn. Its just so unique and the 1st time I seen it I was amazed!

My fav interior is actually the pc's house. Its such an awesome house and has everything you'll ever need right there! For Free :D I was so stoked!

I've mentioned this many times before but if you follow the seams in the wall down to the base, you will notice a perfect little spot to lay torches. They light the home up very nicely. They take that dank, damp feel and warm it up big time. I normally have at least 12-15 going in there at all times.

You can even lay a torch on the ledge along each side of the stairwell on the top floor and they will stay put. Sometimes I'll lay a torch on the floor and put some frost or fire salts in front of it so it looks like a little flaming urn. :)

Do the torches go out after certain amount of time burning? They are some really awesome pointers! I will definitely experiment with that now. I take it you like this home as well!?

No, in fact torches laid in Severin Manor seem to be the most stable things in all of Tamriel...

LotusEater

But yea, overall I'd say it's my favorite just because of the layout and the fact that all the vendors are outside. It's just a super convenient house for a player that is in to crafting as much as I was. Smelter in the house was a key too. I was an ore collector.

Let me know how it goes with the torches. I've recommended it before but have never gotten any feedback. I think it changes the whole house.

The side room was good for Thrall storage when I was experimenting with them.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

Ah you read my mind *does secret necro handshake :p*

Yeah I sure will tell you how my home decorating goes, its a love/hate pastime of mine. The only thing about the house that is slightly annoying (im being picky) is that there are heaps of barrels in the crafting rooms, but no chests. They are all in the bedroom. I just prefer putting my ore in a chest rather than a barrel... :oops:

LotusEater

Ah you read my mind *does secret necro handshake :p*

Yeah I sure will tell you how my home decorating goes, its a love/hate pastime of mine. The only thing about the house that is slightly annoying (im being picky) is that there are heaps of barrels in the crafting rooms, but no chests. They are all in the bedroom. I just prefer putting my ore in a chest rather than a barrel... :oops:

Ya, I was irked by the barrels (and sacks) at first too. I also like to keep all my stuff organized. I got into the habit of putting all my ingots in the barrel and then dividing my pelts and ore between the two urns just before you enter the smithing area.

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
But yea, overall I'd say it's my favorite just because of the layout and the fact that all the vendors are outside. It's just a super convenient house for a player that is in to crafting as much as I was. Smelter in the house was a key too. I was an ore collector.

Let me know how it goes with the torches. I've recommended it before but have never gotten any feedback. I think it changes the whole house.

Right well I dropped 16 torches off into Severin Manor and filled up those little grooves. I must say, it really does brighten the place and gives it a 'homey feel'. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Iv continued to explore Solstheim, and have discovered approx 90% of the locations. The Reikling caverns are so cool. Those little critters collect everything! The Dwarvan ruins in the water look fun to investigate.. the front door is locked at the moment though :confused:

LotusEater

Right well I dropped 16 torches off into Severin Manor and filled up those little grooves. I must say, it really does brighten the place and gives it a 'homey feel'. Thanks again for the suggestion!

Iv continued to explore Solstheim, and have discovered approx 90% of the locations. The Reikling caverns are so cool. Those little critters collect everything! The Dwarvan ruins in the water look fun to investigate.. the front door is locked at the moment though :confused:

If you are talking about the ruins along the east coast, it is quest locked to the main quest.

Glad the torches worked out. With 16 in there that place must be glowing like the sun. :)

Daelon DuLac

How do you backstab a Dragon?
What's with the obsession with overlighting the place? Personally it's just fine for me, of course, in real life, I rarely have all the lights on in the first place. Besides, the place is boring, what could you possibly want to see? A better view of the wandering mannequins maybe?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
What's with the obsession with overlighting the place? Personally it's just fine for me, of course, in real life, I rarely have all the lights on in the first place. Besides, the place is boring, what could you possibly want to see? A better view of the wandering mannequins maybe?

My altmer likes to read, mix potions and enchant gear with a bit of light around. And unlike his dunmer counterparts in Tel Mythrin, he doesnt like to cast magelight once a minute.... The torches dont really brighten the entire house up anyway, they just give it a warm feeling :)

Daelon DuLac

My altmer likes to read, mix potions and enchant gear with a bit of light around. And unlike his dunmer counterparts in Tel Mythrin, he doesnt like to cast magelight once a minute.... The torches dont really brighten the entire house up anyway, they just give it a warm feeling :)
Sounds like a plan. Given Solstheim's smoggy atmosphere anyhow, maybe a little warmth is called for. :)

LotusEater

Jeez... apparently it must be crap if you don't like it. People do have different tastes you know. In terms of player homes, you can't do much better:

-Multiple mannequins
-Multiple weapon racks
-Plenty of storage
-A spare bedroom perfect for thrall storage
-All crafting stations
-All crammed in one zone (including a smelter, the only home in the entire game where a smelter isn't a load screen away)
-All merchants in town are outside (which eliminates another load screen)
-Comes built and furnished
-Free
-Worth saying again... Free

Daelon DuLac

Jeez... apparently it must be crap if you don't like it. People do have different tastes you know. In terms of player homes, you can't do much better:

-Multiple mannequins
-Multiple weapon racks
-Plenty of storage
-A spare bedroom perfect for thrall storage
-All crafting stations
-All crammed in one zone (including a smelter, the only home in the entire game where a smelter isn't a load screen away)
-All merchants in town are outside, which eliminates another load screen)
-Comes built and furnished
-Free
-Worth saying again... Free
Oh, I absolutely agree with you. It's a great dwelling (even if you can't really decorate anything). The amenities are wonderful. It's just not much in the looks department was all I was saying. I certainly don't need to "light" it better. Homey it ain't. Functional, efficient, well equipped and close to excellent shopping, absolutely. BTW, I still haven't figured out why there are yams in the extra bedroom, but, oh well, at least it gives me a place to hide the prior occupants bodies after I kill them.

ZeroDragon

Bring me my broadsword, and clear understanding.
On a bright, sunny day, the Skaal village. But if it's dull and the wind is blowing the ash around then it has to be at the bar in The Retching Netch.

DestroyerDevourMaster

"Zu'u Alduin. Zok sahrot do naan ko Lein!"
My favorite place on Solstheim? I'd have to agree with you on Raven Rock, especially after you've helped out the community and they treat you like one of their own. I love Solstheim because of how exotic it seems compared to Skyrim, it's almost like going on a vacation for a hardened warrior. But boy if Mogrul the Orc isn't a blot on the landscape, I cringe every time I hear him talk. That and you're right, the bleak deserted landscape with the burned down houses here and there really turn some of Solstheim into a depressing place.

Epic Keith

By Ysmir you're going to FREEZE to death!
Solstheim is WAAAYYYY more better than SKyrim. No stupid civil wars! No more excess of racist Nords, and the Nords there don't worship Talos like those crazy pricks back in Skyrim. Only downfall is it looks depressing on one half and the environment tries to kill you every now and then

Lucid

Every now and then you get the chance to lure a pack of werebears into Raven Rock. Guards get pissed off, people die, what's not to love about that?

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts