• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
The popularity of UFC style fighting sports has growing exponentially, but I've been following the sport since it's inception. As an artist, (martial artist among other things), I have an appreciation for what these individuals do. Regarded as senseless and bloody by some, the fighters have extreme regard for one another, often displaying sportsmanship that is alien in other sports.

So who are your favorite, or most celebrated fighters? Mine are:

1. Rhonda/Anderson Silva
2. Lyoto Machida
3. Mark Hunt

Anderson Silva, I believe is the best of all time in the modern era. He's seen his best days but it appears he is not done. An 80% Silva still beats 99% of fighters. He could be the reincarnation of Bruce Lee.

Rhonda's talent is exceptional, as is her work ethic. She will likely dominate until she retires to make vastly more money in TV and movies.

Machida and Rhonda are the closest things in modern mma to being traditional martial artists. Rhonda with her Judo, Machida with a combination of traditional Karate and BJJ. I'm a firm believer that traditional martial arts are effective in mma when applied properly, and these two are proof.

Mark Hunt is just a walking, padded brick wall with tremendous power. He doesn't quite fit the mold of a modern mma fighter, but he's been doing it for so long and has held his own against a who's who in the fighting world. I just can't NOT root for him.

rlang290

I used to enjoy watching the MMA style of fighting but I just can't do it anymore.
I think for me it all started to go downhill with Tito Ortiz (sp?). Prior to Tito there was much more respect paid to the fighters by their opponents. Tito said once that he thought the UFC needed a bad boy. Of course the crowd loved it when he was being such a punk. Frank Trigg (again sp?) was another one like this. Now the fighters can barely make it through a pre-event news conference without bare knuckle fighting during the interview. And Dana White loves it. The worse they are, the happier he is.
You're correct that they are amazing athletes. The lack of respect is was sent me away.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I used to enjoy watching the MMA style of fighting but I just can't do it anymore.
I think for me it all started to go downhill with Tito Ortiz (sp?). Prior to Tito there was much more respect paid to the fighters by their opponents. Tito said once that he thought the UFC needed a bad boy. Of course the crowd loved it when he was being such a punk. Frank Trigg (again sp?) was another one like this. Now the fighters can barely make it through a pre-event news conference without bare knuckle fighting during the interview. And Dana White loves it. The worse they are, the happier he is.
You're correct that they are amazing athletes. The lack of respect is was sent me away.
I haven't seen much of what I would call true animosity lately, although the recent Jones VS Cormier spectacle comes to mind as that was pretty far out of line. The trend you mention reflects on society as a whole, and Dana indeed capitalizes on it. I wish things were different. Sadly, respect has been made disposable like so much else in today's world. People in general seem to have a greater lack of respect for others these days. I'll not ramble any further regarding this, as I'm quickly getting away from the topic at hand, (plus it makes me think I'm getting old)! It'll suffice to say usually, usually respect is shown between two fighters at the conclusion of their battle, and that this respect seems more real than the improvisational antics occurring during weigh-ins and pre-fight.

Thanks for weighing-in!

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
^ Whenever I see your name I read 'Kohlar the Unskilled'

I'm sorry :oops:
Quite alright. I hadn't realized that I was one letter away from naming myself after a urinal, when in a public bathroom recently I looked down to see the word "Kohler" printed upon the porcelain. Hmm, Kohler the Unflushed?

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
I do like Lyota Machida. As I have karate background, I find his style the most relatable. I really like Rampage Jackson for his fighting style as well.

I havent watched UFC in ages unfortunately (no pay-tv) so I cant really comment too much :p Its a big shame if the fighters are not showing respect to each other lately . The sport doesnt need a 'bad boy' or anyting like that. Its not wrestling FFS...

Medea

The Shadow Queen
I really like Machida too. He's the living version of Ryu from Street Fighter. One of my favorites.

I preferred the "golden age" of MMA, back when they had matches like Couture-Liddell. Those were the best years imo, because the matchups were more stylized. Nowadays it seems everyone fights almost the same way. They are good at takedowns and takedown defense, and have passable stand-up skill. I'm not saying the fighters have gotten worse, just that MMA has become like a style itself.... kind of defeating the purpose of MMA in an ironic way, and leading to less exciting fights.

My favorite fighters are Ronda Rousey and Megumi Fujii. Megumi doesn't fight for UFC, but all the fights I've watched her in are very exciting. She is similar to Rousey in her dominance and ability to take her opponents down without mercy.

mlo35v.gif

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
I really like Machida too. He's the living version of Ryu from Street Fighter. One of my favorites.

I preferred the "golden age" of MMA, back when they had matches like Couture-Liddell. Those were the best years imo, because the matchups were more stylized. Nowadays it seems everyone fights almost the same way. They are good at takedowns and takedown defense, and have passable stand-up skill. I'm not saying the fighters have gotten worse, just that MMA has become like a style itself.... kind of defeating the purpose of MMA in an ironic way, and leading to less exciting fights.

My favorite fighters are Ronda Rousey and Megumi Fujii. Megumi doesn't fight for UFC, but all the fights I've watched her in are very exciting. She is similar to Rousey in her dominance and ability to take her opponents down without mercy.

mlo35v.gif
Yes it's true, the modern theme of mma is a homogenized blending of styles, resulting in less actual style. Only a gifted few are able to truly set themselves apart, Rousey and Machida being the best examples that I can think of.

I often wonder about the fighters of the ancient world. The ancient Greeks and Romans had their own version of mma that went on for over a thousand years, and was wildly popular as a spectator sport. I understand that it would've been very different from the sport as it exists today, with far less rules and regulations. But I wonder... take the ten greatest champions of hand to hand fighting from the ancient world, and pit them against today's champions. Of course the ancients would need time to adjust to modern rules... it's pure speculation of course, but I'd bet that there are some ancient fighters that could be dominant today. That's what I think, but I have yet to find anyone who agrees with me!

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member

So much this ^

It was always interesting to see two completely different styles of martial arts fighting it out in their own style to try and win. Nowadays all the competitors are well rounded 'MMA' fighters. Still interesting to watch but I also prefer the good 'ole' days :cowboy:

Medea

The Shadow Queen
Yes it's true, the modern theme of mma is a homogenized blending of styles, resulting in less actual style. Only a gifted few are able to truly set themselves apart, Rousey and Machida being the best examples that I can think of.

I often wonder about the fighters of the ancient world. The ancient Greeks and Romans had their own version of mma that went on for over a thousand years, and was wildly popular as a spectator sport. I understand that it would've been very different from the sport as it exists today, with far less rules and regulations. But I wonder... take the ten greatest champions of hand to hand fighting from the ancient world, and pit them against today's champions. Of course the ancients would need time to adjust to modern rules... it's pure speculation of course, but I'd bet that there are some ancient fighters that could be dominant today. That's what I think, but I have yet to find anyone who agrees with me!

Well, I agree. It isn't called Greco-Roman wrestling for nothing! I bet they had less rules back then too. That's the weakness of MMA, imo. No head stomping, no gouging, no small digit manipulation (aka breaking fingers), no biting. It still isn't as "real as a fight can get". Of course, they can't really have fights without any rules at all, because no civilized society in the world would allow them to fight....except for maybe in Texas or something lol.

Still.... I bet a lot of the fighters from ancient times were just as good or better than fighters today, because they had very little to lose and a lot to gain. They were slaves. Only the very best were even considered for a chance to eventually win their freedom. When you are fighting under those kind of circumstances, then you would be much more willing to break an arm or leg or two...or even kill to gain the favor of the crowd, and therefore the masters you serve.

Kohlar the Unkilled

Time for some ale
Connor McGreggor. This guy seems like a man out of time. Like someone went back in time to a war-torn 1100's Ireland and plucked this guy off the battle field. What an interesting character, and what a close call he had the other night against Mendez. :beermug:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts