• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Shyrith

Ebonhawk
I worry too much about over looking the smaller details. So as I type my stories, I'm worried about this and that and then put too much explanation into the things that don't matter as much, and then in doing so I neglect some of the important things.

The result being a long, boring and "choppy" attempt. Then I get frustrated and give up. Does anyone have any tips for this, or should I just keep trying and make sure what I write never sees the light of day?

To those that might reply with something along the lines of, "Simple, just don't over think", even if it means no one replies at all, I hope your game freezes on you. :p

If needed I'm sure I could post an example here, in a while.

Any helpful tips, if there is such a thing, is greatly appreciated. :)

Lady Imp

Rabid Wolverine
Maybe leave it for a while then come back to it with fresh eyes? It will help in the editing process. It won't get your stuff published quick, but you'll be able to put out a better product. It's much easier to read something and see what's wrong with it when you're looking at it with less of an idea of your original concept. I just had this happen with an English paper I just submitted for an editing grade, OMG I can't believe I submitted the original! It was horrible! But after not having looked at or thought about it for a month and I was able to completely revamp it and make the flow better and everything more relevant.

Another thing that helps with choppiness: reading it aloud in front of a mirror. You feel like a fool doing it, but it really helps out - it's almost like someone else is reading it to you.

Hope this helps!

imaginepageant

Slytherin Alumni
There's a whole chapter on proportion in a self-revision book I have... let me dig it up for an excerpt, since I'm sure it says it a lot better than I could.

How do you avoid proportion problems? In most cases, it's quite simple: pay attention.

Most larger proportion problems can be avoided if you pay attention to your story. After all, if you spend a great deal of time on a given character or plot element, for whatever reason, your readers naturally assume this element plays an important role in the story. So if the character you spend time on turns out to be insignificant or if you never follow up on the plot element you set up in such detail, readers are going to feel cheated.

Properly proportioned does not mean textureless. There is always room for philisophical asides that reveal the narrator's character, subplots that may resonate with the main plot, forays into odd corners of background that make the fictional world more three-dimensional. The trick is telling the difference between digressions that harmonize with the story (even in odd and mysterious ways) and those that hang on the story like limpets.

One technique for telling the difference is to approach your work as if you were reading it for the first time. This isn't easy to do, of course—which is why editors come in so handy—but you can gain some objectivity if you walk away from your writing for a few days or weeks. When you come back, print out a scene or chapter and read it over. The idea is to react to the scene like a reader, not a writer, so you'll get better results if you read hard copy rather than on-screen. That way you don't have the temptation to fiddle with the text as you read. Instead, you can ask yourself what interests you the most, what really comes to live, what involves and intrigues. What moves or fascinates or disturbs or pleases you? Note your reactions in the margins or on Post-It slips. Don't analyze your reactions—you'll miss the subtle and mysteriously resonating stuff. And don't make any changes. Yet.

Once you've figured out what you like, take a look at what's left. Is it really needed? Does it add? (It can add without being needed in an obvious way.) Should it be shorter? Longer? This simple process can be surprisingly effective, because what interests you the most is very often what's going to be of most interest to your readers. If you feel uncomfortable with the number of observations made by a character, then your reader's reaction is likely to be at least as negative as yours.

And be prepared for surprises. If most of what you enjoyed doesn't obviously advance your plot, then maybe you need to change your plot. Clearly you're trying to write a story around the elements that grab you the least, and that's not going to work. It's far better to rewrite your story in a way that makes use of the good stuff than to simply use your story as an excuse for writing the good stuff. In the end, you want to be able to cut most of what doesn't interest you and still have an intact, flowing plot made up of the stuff that does.

You can avoid smaller-scale proportion problems by paying attention to your characters. When you're writing from an intimate point of view, your viewpoint character's interest at the moment should control the degree of detail you put into your description. If your hero is fleeing from a Weedwacker-wielding madman, you can show his panic by describing the passing scenery in the blurriest of details. If your heroine is fighting a Weedwacker-wielding madman, you can show her focused attention by describing the battle in precise detail. In fact, allowing your viewpoint character's interest of the moment to control your descriptive detail is another way of writing from an intimate point of view.

At the end of the chapter there's a checklist you can apply to your work:

- Take a look at your descriptions. Are the details you give the ones your viewpoint character would notice?

- Reread your first fifty pages, paying attention to what you spend your time on. Are the characters you develop most fully important to the ending? Do you use the locations you develop in detail later in the story? Do any of the characters play a surprising role in the ending? Could readers guess this from the amount of time you spend on them?

- Do you have tangents—little subplots or descriptions that don't advance the plot? If so, are all of them effective? If you don't have any, should you add some?

- Are you writing about your favorite topics or hobbies? If so, give careful consideration to how much time you spend on them.

I also want to add that planning your plot and subplots ahead of time can really help with keeping everything in the proper proportion. When I have no real direction or end goal in mind, I find that I'll write a lot of stuff that ends up being useless because I thought, when I wrote it, that it could end up being important. But when I have an outline to work from, I know what will be important and I know to foreshadow and focus on those elements—and I also know what isn't very important, and not to spend too much time on them.

For instance, at the point I'm at in writing my fanfic, I was going to give my main character a bad illness that had her bedridden for a few days. I had half-written a scene describing this, but I couldn't finish it because it was bothering me so much. I kept asking myself, "Does she really need to be this sick? Does it serve any purpose, or am I wasting my time?" I finally decided that it did serve a purpose, but only a very small one. So I cut the major sickness into a basic fever that didn't need a whole scene devoted to it, only a few references in the other scenes leading up to where it will serve its purpose. The change made the chapter flow much better and allowed me to move on with writing it.

Hope that helped a little bit. Good luck! :)

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts