1. Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Hey there, thanks for visiting our fan fiction section. You should only write stories that aren't related to your character's encounters, if you wish to write a story about your character please post an entry in your blog.

Before reading or writing a story, please make sure to read this thread. Thanks, Guest, and we hope you enjoy this section.

Dismiss Notice

Fanfic-writing Tips/Sounding board

Discussion in 'Author's Roundtable' started by Docta Corvina, Jun 11, 2012.

1. Janus3003

Janus3003 Skyrim Marriage Counselor

No no, you should write moar faster, Docta. :p

2. Docta Corvina

Docta Corvina Well-Known Member

BUMP for more authors to impart wisdom!

3. Janus3003

If you feel the need to tell your readers "If you don't like [CONTENT], you can skip that scene in this chapter without being confused later," you should seriously ask yourself if that scene is really worth keeping around. Especially if you do this in several chapters.

Yes, I've seen this before.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 3
  4. Matt

Matt The Last Pen Fighter

I have a note to add for new writers, and to some, it may be a doozy.

Please don't post your first draft! It sounds alarmingly simple, but really, it happens remarkably frequently. I don't have as much experience with this site yet as many do so I cannot speak to any statistics and whatnot, but I can say that this happens with regularity on any given writing site I've ever visited.

Obviously, spell check goes without saying, but this is more than that. This is about taking a scene that you suddenly wrote due to your inspiration and turning it into a story BEFORE showing it to the internet community. Even more troubling is when a writer takes the time to set up a sequence of scenes into a interesting story arch but does not take the time to edit it and/or seek peer review before essentially publishing it as original work.

Usually, there is a place on a writing forum for peer review and it is a wonderful thing to have for posting excerpts of your work for others to see. You can take the advice and criticism you receive to improve your work and then post it for us to see. Really, these steps don't "Harm" creativity or "stifle" enthusiasm, they are simply common tasks to complete before posting a story. There will ALWAYS be room for improvement, but if you at least put forth a little preemptive effort, your work will be received much better.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Doctor Langstrom

Doctor Langstrom I want to be FEARED!

Here's some advice for writers. Have fun. Don't make writing out to be a chore, it should be something that you enjoy to do. If writing isn't going to be your profession, don't stress over everything being perfect.

• Like Like x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. Hæð Eik

Hæð Eik Active Member

Ah crap. I just learned some things a little too late. My one character is more interesting than the other, and the lamer character's intro was way too detailed with not enough dialog. (In her defense, she has no friends, and in the first part of the story, she is by herself.) :mad:

7. Docta Corvina

Glad to see that this is still useful for people! :)

8. Janus3003

:eek: IT'S A DOCTA!

• Like Like x 1
    • Friendly Friendly x 1
  9. Docta Corvina

It's a JANUS! :eek:

Hahaha, yeah, I check in here periodically. I need to be around more, try to connect with the writers here again. I also need to catch up on people's work. :oops:

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. TheAdventurer!

TheAdventurer! New Member

I was looking for a place to post a fan-fiction I had been writing, and this post made me decide to try here. Working well so far, um, I think.

Latest Given Reputation Points:
    lizardisok: 2 Points Apr 23, 2017