Falmer Hunting - A Guide For New Players On Taking On Those Annoying Snow Elves

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Did this seem useful?

• Total voters

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
Before we begin:

Falmer are a serious problem for new players and are still a threat to the most experienced players. I decided that they can be enough of a problem that a guide on how to fight the primitive little mer creatures would be actually beneficial to new players. So in this guide I will explain the best way to kill them for the three main play styles: stealth, melee, and magic.

Universal tip and tricks:

Falmer are also known as Snow Elves, and like all elves they seem to be decent spell casters, who seem to prefer shock and frost spells. So getting some Resist/Absorb Magicka Effects, or some Resist Frost/Shock gear makes life easier. Another good way to deal with these guy’s magic is Shock spells/enchantments and Absorb Magicka effects. Something else that seems to come from their Snow Elf origins is a resistance to Frost damage and a weakness to Fire, so put away those freezing cold weapons and spells, turn up the heat, and introduce those primitives to the miracles of fire. Now here’s something about these pointy eared Sméagols that makes them real easy to get the drop on… THEY’RE BLIND! That’s right they don’t have any way to see you as you run at them, but to make up for it they seem to hear about twice as well as the average enemy for their level. Toss on a muffle enchantment, cast that spell, or grab the Silence perk and they can’t detect you unless you bump into something or touch them. Watch out though, these little creeps live in dungeons known as Falmer Hives for a reason, they’re like ants, so if you see one there are 10 others you will be able to see nearby if you look and countless others that seem to pop up from nowhere while you’re fighting the first batch of freaks. These vermin love to stoop low and use poisons, so having some poison resistance or cure poison potions to help counter them.

Killing Falmer with stealth:

The best way to kill Falmer with stealth is with an arrow or dagger while sneaking. Everything else is noisy and will sound an alarm alerting more of the little Gollum creatures to your presence. Make sure you kill them on the first strike our it will be like you dug up an ant’s nest, full of pointy eared psychos who use bug parts and magic to fight.

Summon the powers of the arcane to smite those cave-elves the right way:

Stay away from your Frost spells my magic tossing friends and start thaw those Snow Elves out. Grab a good fire spell and get spamming. Fireball, Incinerate, Flame Cloak, Wall of Flames, and Fire Storm are you go to spells for Falmer, Flames just doesn’t have the power you need to keep up with the fight. If you happen to see one who is a mage pull out something a little more shocking.

If you want to summon some help I suggest using Dremora Lords, Flame Artonachs/Thralls, or Flaming Familiar. That burning hot ghost puppy will just run right at them attacking maybe once or twice before… KA-BOOM! The Flaming Familiar should be used just like Fire Ball spell with an auto-target feature. If you have Konahrik the summoned Dragon Priest is pretty good here too. Necromancers should use their dark arts on the mages for maximum effect.

Me just want to smash tiny goblin elf creatures:

When taking these guys on in melee combat make sure you are heavily armored, got a good means to heal yourself, and try to use an Absorb Health/Stamina or Fire enchantment on your Falmer beater, and charge. Take down those mages first, they take priority no matter what, they can make the fight six times harder then you need it to be just by hitting you with Frost damage, Shock also seems to do a fair bit of damage as well so watch out for those Sith Lord wannabe Falmer. Falmer seem to use one main tactic, and that’s attrition. They just keep throwing Blind freaks at you until you’re dead or they run out in that area. To make it worse they hit pretty good and have a decent amount of health for you to beat your way through.

Shout them down like a true Dovahkiin:

There are certain Shouts that really dominate these little freaks. I will list them and their uses here:

• Fire Breath: This burns the whole lot of them, perfect if you can get a group in front of you.
  • Ice Form: Freezes anything in front of you solid letting you work through them one by one, heal, or escape.
  • Marked For Death: Hit a group with this, and it will make killing those degenerates easier due to decreased defence.
  • Unrelenting Force: FUS RO DAH! Those guys will be left in a pile for you to slaughter as they waste time trying to stand back up, not to mention under the right conditions it can deal some decent damage.

Falmer have some creepy crawly pets, so time to go bug huntin’:

Falmer often have Chaurus and Frostbite Spiders to back them up. These are even more pest than the Falmer as they can see you, always have a poisonous ranged attack, reasonable melee capabilities, and can take some damage, however the same tactics work on them as those used on Falmer, so don’t worry too much about changing style when these show up.

Just some final words:

If you have any suggestions or what not please leave them and I’ll try to get around to adding them. Please don’t leave comments like “I just hit them with this sword I made that does so much damage I’m like a mini Talos.” They are nothing but clutter and don’t really help anyone reading the comments for additional help. Once again thanks for reading and don’t forget to check out my other guides.

vipertec

Squirrel ,you have some great suggestions ,the only thing I can add would be, bring a follower with you ,they help cut the masses down and two are better than one,If you do bring a follower be careful if your going to use firebreath,my follower (Lydia) met her untimely death because she ran in front of me as I let the shout out.Then getting all the "extra" stuff she was carrying for me out was a real pain.

Squirrel_killer-

Squirrel ,you have some great suggestions ,the only thing I can add would be, bring a follower with you ,they help cut the masses down and two are better than one,If you do bring a follower be careful if your going to use firebreath,my follower (Lydia) met her untimely death because she ran in front of me as I let the shout out.Then getting all the "extra" stuff she was carrying for me out was a real pain.
Definitely will add that. I don't use followers at all really so I forgot about that.

Holl0WxOrigin

I'd also like to add that Falmer fight with pets. Chaurus or frostbite spiders usually inhabit a Falmer lair and crowd control is essential. Offensive shouts are definitely useful in their caverns.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
So I have to ask one of my guys is a skirmisher type so light armor 1handed and shield or bow, any tricks asside from investing in a enough health potions to open a store?

Squirrel_killer-

So I have to ask one of my guys is a skirmisher type so light armor 1handed and shield or bow, any tricks asside from investing in a enough health potions to open a store?
Use bow to kill the archers and mages, once the melee users close on you fight them, make sure to block and dodge often, try to kill them fast while avoiding being hit as much as possible. Employ shouts as needed.

Streets

The Gentleman Owl
Great guide, I would also like to see you say something about how they typically use poisons. This is mostly for the warrior section. When you block an attack, you still get poisoned, and that's not affected by your armor rating. Maybe mention Wood Elf and Redguard, Savior's Hide, and Shrouded Armor that allow 50% poison resistance, or the Dragon Priest mask Henvoraak and Ancient Shrouded Armor that allows 100% poison resistance? I believe the Absorb Magicka effect will absorb poison as well (like from the Atronach Stone). And like Hollow said, they fight with Chaurus.

Squirrel_killer-

Great guide, I would also like to see you say something about how they typically use poisons. This is mostly for the warrior section. When you block an attack, you still get poisoned, and that's not affected by your armor rating. Maybe mention Wood Elf and Redguard, Savior's Hide, and Shrouded Armor that allow 50% poison resistance, or the Dragon Priest mask Henvoraak and Ancient Shrouded Armor that allows 100% poison resistance? I believe the Absorb Magicka effect will absorb poison as well (like from the Atronach Stone). And like Hollow said, they fight with Chaurus.
I'll most likely add a section for additional suggested gear and definitely a section on Chaurus.

Julius Darkstar

King of Conjuration
Usefull guide!

Some things that might be good to add:

Falmer are the only one who use poison, so here is some info on poison resistance.

The playes poison resistance is capped at 85% (same as magic), so even as vampire/werewolf, you still get the "you are poisoned message" but the poisened effet will only be 15%.
Example: you get hit with a poisen that deals 100 damage, howevere you will only suffer 15 points of damage, if you have maxed out poisen resistance.

Expanding on the above: the dragonpriest mask Hevnoraak is very usefull due to 100% (wel 85%) poison resistance, so it's a good thing to bring along for falmer hunting. (not to mention the fact that poison resistance enchantment is hard to find).

As a final note: followers have no cap on resistance so you can give them 100% resistance, and they will not suffer any poison harm.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts