Fallout: New Vegas or Fallout 3?

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
Hey guys, I just recently discovered Fallout games through a Lets Play series, and I think I'd really like to play them. Only thing is, I'm not sure which I should get first.
I'm on the PS3 so no mods for me if you're wondering.
Fallout: New Vegas looks like a lot of fun but I've heard that it was mostly made by Obsidian, not Bethesda. Does that make it any less prone to bugs or glitches or easier to play in any way?
Fallout 3 seems to have a bit more in the way of character design, at least so far as appearance goes, but looks a bit harder to get into - and seeing as whichever I get will be my first Fallout play through of any type, I'd like something that goes a little easier on beginners, but is still fun and somewhat challenging, if that makes sense. Easier to get into, basically.
I apologize if this has been asked before but I did do a search and the only thing I found was a thread on which is more linear, which unfortunately doesn't answer my question, so.
Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument on which is better, please don't think I am. I'd just like to know which would be the best for a newbie to the series to start with. :) Thanks for any help you can give me.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
You can't go wrong with either of the games. They're both very fun and addicting. I'm trying to think of a way to list pros and cons, but nothing really comes in mind. Even when I place them side-by-side. it's hard to get a decent thought going. I don't know, Eco. Get both!

hmm... If there is one thing: You may find yourself wishing certain things were present in the other after experiencing both. Character development/gameplay, etc. are all fantastic... Real-time fire-fights and such a fine. The DLCs for both are all worth getting. Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel (which allows continuation of #3 after the last quest), and Gun Runner's Arsenal (greatly diversifies weapons) and Dead Money for #3 and New Vegas, respectively, are my favourites.

My only concern is you're playing on PS3. Don't get me wrong, I own both consoles (actually I own two PS3s and enjoy both PS3 and 360 considerably), but there are limitations to the PS3's ability to deal with the save files. My only experience is with the PS3 version of New Vegas, and eventually you'll find loading screens become quite lengthy. Also, the system will need to be restarted after long sessions due to serious FPS dips and hard freezes. It would greatly improve your experience if you were able to obtain/borrow a friend's 360 for these games.

That aside, by your OP, it appears you're quite green to Fallout in general, and for this, I'll offer a couple game mechanics to make note of. Firstly, Fallout #3 and New Vegas, despite being real-time, take after the Fallout line and are turn-based in nature. For example, you cannot fire a weapon and jump at the same time because they are two separate actions, which count as two separate turns. Second, dissimilar to TES, Fallout requires you to be of sufficient skill in Lockpicking and Science before you can interact with locks and computers.

There isn't much else I can think of. Good luck in your journeys. I spent about three years on #3 before I could do anything else, so... Don't be surprised if you disappear off the face of the world for awhile.

Good hunting!

edit: Oh, right! You were asking about bugs/glitches and ease of play... Regretfully it has been a while since I've plugged in either. I don't remember anything very breaking... Ummm... Ease of play? Both are fine. If you find them too hard, there is a difficulty modifier like in Skyrim.

Last edited:

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
I'd say that NV is easier to get started in. Both are amazing games though.

FudgeMuppet

imo fallout new vegas is "better" however I love both games. In terms of character making, new vegas is much better simply because there is more variety for both aesthetics and roleplaying. When i was considering whether to do fallout new vegas or fallout 3 builds on my youtube channel, that was basically why i decided on new vegas. There's just more to everything in it - story, choices, items, gameplay. And of course Fallout 3 is amazing too.

You can't go wrong with either of the games. They're both very fun and addicting. I'm trying to think of a way to list pros and cons, but nothing really comes in mind. Even when I place them side-by-side. it's hard to get a decent thought going. I don't know, Eco. Get both!

hmm... If there is one thing: You may find yourself wishing certain things were present in the other after experiencing both. Character development/gameplay, etc. are all fantastic... Real-time fire-fights and such a fine. The DLCs for both are all worth getting. Operation Anchorage and Broken Steel (which allows continuation of #3 after the last quest), and Gun Runner's Arsenal (greatly diversifies weapons) and Dead Money for #3 and New Vegas, respectively, are my favourites.

My only concern is you're playing on PS3. Don't get me wrong, I own both consoles (actually I own two PS3s and enjoy both PS3 and 360 considerably), but there are limitations to the PS3's ability to deal with the save files. My only experience is with the PS3 version of New Vegas, and eventually you'll find loading screens become quite lengthy. Also, the system will need to be restarted after long sessions due to serious FPS dips and hard freezes. It would greatly improve your experience if you were able to obtain/borrow a friend's 360 for these games.

That aside, by your OP, it appears you're quite green to Fallout in general, and for this, I'll offer a couple game mechanics to make note of. Firstly, Fallout #3 and New Vegas, despite being real-time, take after the Fallout line and are turn-based in nature. For example, you cannot fire a weapon and jump at the same time because they are two separate actions, which count as two separate turns. Second, dissimilar to TES, Fallout requires you to be of sufficient skill in Lockpicking and Science before you can interact with locks and computers.

There isn't much else I can think of. Good luck in your journeys. I spent about three years on #3 before I could do anything else, so... Don't be surprised if you disappear off the face of the world for awhile.

Good hunting!

edit: Oh, right! You were asking about bugs/glitches and ease of play... Regretfully it has been a while since I've plugged in either. I don't remember anything very breaking... Ummm... Ease of play? Both are fine. If you find them too hard, there is a difficulty modifier like in Skyrim.

Weird, thought I replied already but I guess my phone ate it or something. Sorry about that.
You're right about PS3s save file and lag problems, but I already deal with them on Skyrim and have found a few workarounds which make those things happen much less often (like turning off auto saves etc). So it shouldn't be a problem, but I was considering trying to get another console system so if I do, I will keep that in mind. :)
It's good to know that I have to have relevant skills in either case - the LP I watched was modded so I had to be sure that was the case anyway.
Anyway thanks for the advice. In the end, I decided to just get both, but I've started with Fallout 3 for now (on Easy until I get the hang of it). Thank goodness I watched the LP first or I'd have no idea where to start! lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

imo fallout new vegas is "better" however I love both games. In terms of character making, new vegas is much better simply because there is more variety for both aesthetics and roleplaying. When i was considering whether to do fallout new vegas or fallout 3 builds on my youtube channel, that was basically why i decided on new vegas. There's just more to everything in it - story, choices, items, gameplay. And of course Fallout 3 is amazing too.

Thanks for the reply! :) I think I'll check out your builds, then. Could use all the help I can get as a Fallout newbie lol.

HouseHosted

Mundus 9-5, Oblivion weekends
Weird, thought I replied already but I guess my phone ate it or something. Sorry about that.
You're right about PS3s save file and lag problems, but I already deal with them on Skyrim and have found a few workarounds which make those things happen much less often (like turning off auto saves etc). So it shouldn't be a problem, but I was considering trying to get another console system so if I do, I will keep that in mind. :)
It's good to know that I have to have relevant skills in either case - the LP I watched was modded so I had to be sure that was the case anyway.
Anyway thanks for the advice. In the end, I decided to just get both, but I've started with Fallout 3 for now (on Easy until I get the hang of it). Thank goodness I watched the LP first or I'd have no idea where to start! lol

This is totally unacceptable, Eco! I've been waiting to hear back for a month now! Will I have to wait another before you report on your Molerat tally?

The Phoenician

Is it Fallout 4 time yet?

The Phoenician

I'd say that NV is easier to get started in. Both are amazing games though.

Yeah I've started with Fallout 3 and I must say unless I had watched that LP first, I'd be totally lost. I tend to agree, Fallout NV seems a bit easier to get into.

I really had to make myself play FO3 at first. But after a few hours I was totally hooked.

It took me longer than I care to admit to figure out the bartering system.

This is totally unacceptable, Eco! I've been waiting to hear back for a month now! Will I have to wait another before you report on your Molerat tally?

Sorry! I really did think I'd replied already. My phone glitches out on the forums sometimes.
If you want to know my Molerat tally, I'll tell ya - as soon as I meet any molerats lol. Considering how slowly I play games, it may take a while.

Fallout 3 imo is a lot better. I can't really explain it, I just like it so much more.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Mercutio

Assistant Regional Manager
Fallout 4

lyndi_dather

Spell Slinging Derp
I love them both tremendously, but I might lean towards New Vegas more only for the simple fact that it has more content. Fallout 3 has a way better story though.

Ru;indil

Mage Lord of Skywatch
Edit : Sorry, I did not realize you purchased both of them. Still, get Fallout 4 when it comes out in November 10 :).

Onyx Black

Lord of Onyx
Hey guys, I just recently discovered Fallout games through a Lets Play series, and I think I'd really like to play them. Only thing is, I'm not sure which I should get first.
I'm on the PS3 so no mods for me if you're wondering.
Fallout: New Vegas looks like a lot of fun but I've heard that it was mostly made by Obsidian, not Bethesda. Does that make it any less prone to bugs or glitches or easier to play in any way?
Fallout 3 seems to have a bit more in the way of character design, at least so far as appearance goes, but looks a bit harder to get into - and seeing as whichever I get will be my first Fallout play through of any type, I'd like something that goes a little easier on beginners, but is still fun and somewhat challenging, if that makes sense. Easier to get into, basically.
I apologize if this has been asked before but I did do a search and the only thing I found was a thread on which is more linear, which unfortunately doesn't answer my question, so.
Anyway, I'm not trying to start an argument on which is better, please don't think I am. I'd just like to know which would be the best for a newbie to the series to start with. :) Thanks for any help you can give me.
Making a game doesn't alter it's quality if it's made by someone outside a company which does a certain series, afterall, Fallout started with Black Isle Studios, but they went bankrupt, Bethesda bought all rights, and now, Obsidian made New Vegas, but was published by Bethesda.

In the end, New Vegas was more fun for me.
In the end - see a deathclaw in either game? Time to die.

Fallout 3 was incredible, vegas was half as good. I wished that 3 had the same aim as vegas with the guns, the way you could look down the sights more