Fallout Debate NCR vs Legion

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Faction you support?

• Total voters

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
150px-NCRReputation.png
150px-CaesarLegionReputation.png
Who do you support?​

Sean

lost somewhere
If I had to choose, then I would go with the NCR, but I always do independent while still maintaining a good relationship with the NCR.

Except when I took out their trading post (and the Legion's) with nukes

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I am going to get Fallout: New Vegas for my birthday. So I can't participate so far. :p But I'll take a look at this thread again after playing it for a while...

Can you tell me some basic info about the two factions? Not too much, just what they're about.

The Phoenician

Shiney, let's be bad guys.
Since Brotherhood of Steel isnt an option I'll go with NCR.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Can you tell me some basic info about the two factions? Not too much, just what they're about.
So you want to take to the Mojave Wasteland? Well my friend let's take a world infamous Skies tour. (Skies Tour!)

There are two factions (Sorry gonna do an entire little spiel.)
The NCR and Caesar's Legion.

The New California Republic or NCR is a quaint nation, stationed in... Well as Arnold said "Khali-fornia!" They are as a faction trying to hold up more traditional "American" values and are technologically modern (Guns, body armor, etc.) They are more "Greedy" trying to grab land and reestablish what could amount to is United States 2.0

And then we have Caesar's Legion. Wonderful little group from the East. They are fashion (pretty obviously) off Rome. They don't value technology and believe that man's reliance on them is causing weakness. They do have some "older practices" work segregation (Which isnt as bad as it sounds) and slavery. And are in fact often dummied down to "Bad slavery nation."

Well adventurer that is as much as I care to share do to laziness. Don't worry I am sure you will do just fine in our little slice of Wasteland. Skies away!!!

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Ummm I feel you have a very specific side you support Mage.

And quoting the Monster of the East... Kinda makes it hard to tell which.

I mean if Anouck was a Khornite like me that would inspire her to join the legion whole heartedly. :p

Sean

lost somewhere
So you want to take to the Mojave Wasteland? Well my friend let's take a world infamous Skies tour. (Skies Tour!)

There are two factions (Sorry gonna do an entire little spiel.)
The NCR and Caesar's Legion.

The New California Republic or NCR is a quaint nation, stationed in... Well as Arnold said "Khali-fornia!" They are as a faction trying to hold up more traditional "American" values and are technologically modern (Guns, body armor, etc.) They are more "Greedy" trying to grab land and reestablish what could amount to is United States 2.0

And then we have Caesar's Legion. Wonderful little group from the East. They are fashion (pretty obviously) off Rome. They don't value technology and believe that man's reliance on them is causing weakness. They do have some "older practices" work segregation (Which isnt as bad as it sounds) and slavery. And are in fact often dummied down to "Bad slavery nation."

Well adventurer that is as much as I care to share do to laziness. Don't worry I am sure you will do just fine in our little slice of Wasteland. Skies away!!!

Forgetting the part about burning towns to the ground that don't fit within their world view and stringing up any leftover people that they didn't already slaughter up on crosses.
Definitely a nice bunch of people :D.

Choosing between the NCR and the Legion is like a rock and a hard place, but luckily in New Vegas, you don't have to side with any other faction, and take over New Vegas for yourself.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Forgetting the part about burning towns to the ground that don't fit within their world view and stringing up any leftover people that they didn't already slaughter up on crosses.
Definitely a nice bunch of people :D.

yeah... thats just a detail...

but like i tell my friend "you cannot apply modern morality to most fantasy worlds. In fallout our modern morality would simple get us killed in most situations."

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Well to be fair, that town was filled with Powder Gangers. Legion justice is one of the harshest, but actually makes their lands extremely safe.

Civilized towns are often left alone, unless they're enemies. Primm is left untouched, and rather prosperous under the Legion. Just they're under the watchful eye of the Legion.

Lands under Caesar's protection enjoy stability and security far greater than lands outside its sphere of influence. Traders that have to cross NCR's territories with a guard contingent can safely travel on Legion trade routes alone, without fear of being raided. People who live in Legion towns enjoy a stable, consistent flow of electricity and water, a steady and ample food supply, and very low crime and corruption levels.

Subjects don't have any rights, and don't have any say. But it isn't considered a problem by many, since they never had a say before Caesar's rise. Now they're safe, have no corruption, steady supply of food and water. Without all the deception and second agenda of the NCR.

Life in Legion territory is simple, and honest. You know exactly where you stand.

As for slavery issues, majority of it is directed towards Tribals.

While Caesar intentionally enslaves NCR and Mojave residents in the war zone, most of the enslavement that happens in the east happens to tribals.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Legion before all, without Legion we fall.

;) needless to say what is the fun is while playing let yourself be moved by the people.

Case and point One's wife was sold into legion slavery. She was a b*tch. .. but Boone loved her and he is a good man.

Mr.Self Destruct

Chosen Undead
Option C, Mr. House.

Sure, he may be a bit egotistical and full of himself but in the long run sticking with him ensures the best future for not only New Vegas, but the entire Wasteland. He's a genius with plans to rebuild and make progress with technology and industry.

That's the person the Wasteland needs.

NENALATA

Last King of the Ayleids - RETIRED
lol - Been waiting for someone to post something like this...

I'm a BoS/Enclave person myself so went with NCR. I blew-up soldier boy and all his cousins at Nipton with the Mortar Gun, then went on a mass-murdering crusade against every member of the Legion I could find w/Laser Rifle before realizing they weren't all hostile.

Even though, between the atrocities at Nipton and witnessing all those poor bastards being on the cross was enough for me to put a stop to their madness.

I like the NCR, sure they've made their share of mistakes but they defeated the Enclave and their society while intriguing is at least, a free society. They shor ain't perfect but it's a start.

Loved the Yes Man ending. OMG that was some funny pl*ps!?!! Thumb of God 10pts / Caesar 0 ;)

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Case and point One's wife was sold into legion slavery. She was a b*tch. .. but Boone loved her and he is a good man.

Exactly she was sold. Offered by someone, caps exchanged hands. Not like the Legion took her randomly, when you're offered something you better make use of it.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Exactly she was sold. Offered by someone, caps exchanged hands. Not like the Legion took her randomly, when you're offered something you better make use of it.

The key point is that the NCR is made up of more "real" people. Also just as a slight after thought. (Sorry for the font, IDK how it went down or how to fix it.)

"Boone met Carla while on leave on the New Vegas Strip. Carla was the only thing in the world who made him feel calm and happy in life. When he listened to her, she made him forget about everything he did in the military. He left the military, married Carla, and moved to Novac at the invitation of his 1st Recon friend, Manny Vargas. Jeannie May Crawford describes Carla as a "cactus flower": pretty to look at, but hard to get close to. She was never content with the ordinary life of the small town. Carla's attitude toward the town caused distance between Boone and Manny, which continued after Carla's disappearance. She had been kidnapped by the Legion, and Boone suspected she was betrayed by one of the townsfolk"

http://fallout.wikia.com/wiki/Craig_Boone
Not the best source but still. They didn't take her randomly she was selected against her will.

After completing several quests with Boone as a follower, it is possible to gain more information about Boone's wife. When she was kidnapped, he tracked down the slaving party in hopes of rescuing her, only to find her being auctioned off with hundreds of other slaves to Legion soldiers. All Boone had was his rifle and the distance between them. Instead of subjecting her to the horrors of Legion slavery, he chose to take her life in a mercy killing.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
The key point is that the NCR is made up of more "real" people. Also just as a slight after thought. (Sorry for the font, IDK how it went down or how to fix it.)

Not the best source but still. They didn't take her randomly she was selected against her will.

I didn't say they took her randomly. She was sold into slavery by the town's Mayor. Key point is sold, I was saying it wasn't like the Legion did it randomly. She was sold, money exchanged hands. So they went in and got their goods.

The Legion isn't made up of "real" people? There are many throughout the Mojave who are right against the NCR's actions. The NCR is trying to imitate Pre-War Government and they're certainly getting corruption and incompetence right.

I don't fault the NCR, but given the harshness of the Wasteland. The NCR are either unable or unwilling to protect their citizens, merely concerned with taxes and more land. Constantly expanding, for the sake of just expanding. They even break truces because they want more land.

The Legion gets things done, they're harsh and cruel, but they're effective and do bring safety to the wasteland. Raiders and other brigands don't fear the NCR, they attack the NCR and it's citizens. Raiders fear the Legion. Keeping a good distance from Legion controlled lands.

Civilized Subjects of Caesar thrive, never worrying about getting attacked by raiders. Consistent supply of food, water, and electricity.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
Civilized Subjects of Caesar thrive, never worrying about getting attacked by raiders. Consistent supply of food, water, and electricity.

Nit pick but honestly on paper Legion fits the new world better than NCR's attempt to preserve the old way.

Do the Legion use electricity? like in everyday life? because all we see are there rejection of technology and electricity is mostly used for running tech? I mean I never see them with anything electronic.

As for people... Could I get examples? Because I won't lie I can only think of like 3 legion people who were named (In the vanilla game) And sure they were cool but in some cases barely developed.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Nit pick but honestly on paper Legion fits the new world better than NCR's attempt to preserve the old way.

Do the Legion use electricity? like in everyday life? because all we see are there rejection of technology and electricity is mostly used for running tech? I mean I never see them with anything electronic.

As for people... Could I get examples? Because I won't lie I can only think of like 3 legion people who were named (In the vanilla game) And sure they were cool but in some cases barely developed.

The Legion don't oppose technology, they just don't rely on technology however. Technology can fail, guns can jam. So they train with melee and unarmed, so that they're effective even if a firearm fails. The NCR soldier, would have trouble if their weapon failed.

It is mentioned in Caesar's lands subjects do get supplied with electricity, food and water.

There aren't exactly a lot of named Legionnaires. But there are a few, I think maybe 5-9? I can't remember.

But they're damn effective, one Centurion with 16 Legionaries has captured and killed over four times more enemies than he has at his command. So around 64.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts