ESO Anthology, looking for a Christian review.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Well, thanks for your time. :) I find religion very interesting. I am a person who asks a lot of questions and thinks for herself. Hence why I find it interesting to debate religion.

But to answer your question once and for all:
No, it wouldn't be stupid. Not as far as I am concerned. But that is completely dependent on how you see it. The Anthology contains all the Elder Scrolls games, including Arena, Daggerfall, Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim. Hearthfire is just an expansion, like Dragonborn and Dawnguard. If I am correct, you get the DLC's too.

Buying it means that you already have Morrowind and Skyrim, but get 3 complete new games. These are, except for Oblivion, pretty old though. You are 14, so I can understand you are not really interested in a game that was released long before you were even born. :p The graphics are not like anything you're used too.
But if you'd buy all these games one by one, it would cost you more money than buying Anthology. So if you are planning on getting them anyway, I'd buy Anthology if I were you.
Also, if you are a nerd, like me :p, than you just want to have that cool box with maps and discs and all other nerdy stuff. :p

I did research for you on the Christian part. I found a forum where a worried parent shared her concerns on kids playing Skyrim. She says that the kids ignore the complexity of the game and do bad things while playing. She was angry because her son made a thief character and kills people. She is angry with Bethesda for giving you the option to be a bad, violent person. I think this is a contradiction. Thanks to the complexity of the game, we are able to play multiple people. Good people, and bad people. That doesn't make you a sinner.
This very same Christian forum, also states that videogames are from hell. The argument used is that it is nearly impossible not to sin in Skyrim. You often have to lie, betray and murder through out the game.

Nowhere I find comments on sexual content. So if that is your only concern, you don't have to worry.

AS88

Staff member
And by violence, I mean the fighting side of things. Since this is a game with dragons and giants and swords, it is implied that there is gonna be violence. Hence why I said "it's no big deal."

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

No Dragons in TESO

I'mma jump in before this becomes a religion discussion, which always ends in someone getting offended. If you have the other games and saw no problem in them, then I don't see any reason why the others would be different. The Elder Scrolls series has undertones of lust, deceit, murder, even with books in game detailing this, as well as multiple gods and devil-worship (the Daedra). If you've played those without any problems, I don't think the series will get any more controversial for you in another game.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Religion and gaming don't mix. Try not to over think it and just enjoy it. As you have said, that since the 10 Commandments didn't say 'Thou shall not kill' they also didn't say 'Thou shall not play Skyrim' or 'Thou shall not be able to sin in video games'

As religion tends to, they take their rules literally when it suits them. No where in the Bible, or in any rules being written on behalf of the words of God. Does it say, you can't sin in an Elder Scrolls game. So in the eyes of the Lord, you can do whatever you want in a video game. Until he personally tells you otherwise.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Murder is merely a point of view by law. Killing and murder are both interchangeable, if you were to see a bandit camp in TES and enter it to kill them. That is technically murder, which is premeditated killing.

If killing were wrong, then God would have committed a sin. And God cannot sin.

If God created man in his own image, then killing man is killing God. Would not killing the image and creation of God, be the ultimate sin?

Now for the real paradox, if God can't sin. Then how can he be God? If God can do everything. If God can't sin, then God can't do everything and thus he can't be God for a God is not limited.

What I can't stand, is that some religious people 'pick' what sounds best to them. According to the Bible, the woman has a very submissive role. They ignore that, yet they say that if you are gay, you will burn in hell! If you are going to be radical, then at least be consequent. Don't only go after other people.
What I can't stand is how religion limits people. It hurts me when young kids are completely brainwashed by some religions. Once again; this is not always the case. but religion can do bad things to people. It can keep people dumb, make them ignore science and makes them live in fear for hell.

For many people, religion = fear. They don't want to go to hell so they follow God. Is that really the relationship God wants to have with his Christians? Follow me or you will burn for eternity? Does he really want people to believe because they are terrified? How messed up is that? And an eternity - really? What happened to the 'be loving and forgiving' part? The God that teaches us to be forgiving makes people burn for ever just because they do not believe in him.
It doesn't matter that you always did volunteer work. It doesn't matter that you have spend every single coin on helping the poor. It doesn't matter that you dedicated your life to saving others. You were an atheist so you will burn.
What? You are a criminal? You asked for forgiveness and turned to God? SURE. Come in! You will get in heaven..

If that is what God really does, I am heavily disappointed. I see so many flaws and contradictions in the Bible. But I am not going to talk about it now. However, if anyone who is religious is interested in a debate, they can PM me. But I have stuff to say they probably won't like. :p Not because I am 'against religion'. I just think that people who are extremely religious miss a lot of the world and are limited. Imprisoned.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
100% agree Anouck. it confuses me so much that I just dont think about it anymore. its far beyond me and if my yr9 religion teacher is anything to go by, its beyond a lot of people, as he couldnt answer a single question of mine without resorting to "if you read the bible, you would understand" :confused:
Except for the fact that the Bible is thousands of years old and not longer relevant. You have to adapt yourself to society, because society changes. If your country becomes a republic, you will need laws that apply to a republic. You can still use the old laws, but that wouldn't make any sense. The same thing goes for morals and rules. Morals are a product of society, so I don't see why I would follow the ideals a person in Israel wrote down 2000 years ago.

It is also a fact that the Bible got manipulated during the Dark Ages. The people couldn't read, but after the French revolution (when education became more important) even some of the poor could. The church started to make changes in the Bible because they didn't want the people to know everything that was written in there. They told people that they had to pay fees to the church in order to enter heaven after their death. If they wouldn't pay, they would go to hell. And if you sinned - no problem. Give the priest 50 coins and it is forgotten. Heck, you could even pay the priest on beforehand! You could pay for 10 sins before committing them, and because you payed you didn't have to be punished anymore.
This was the Catholic church of the Dark Ages. That same church manipulated the Bible for decades. So we know the Bible we have, is not 'accurate'. It is a product of the church who wants people to fear them.

AS88

Staff member
For many people, religion = fear. They don't want to go to hell so they follow God. Is that really the relationship God wants to have with his Christians? Follow me or you will burn for eternity? Does he really want people to believe because they are terrified?

Some may argue that fear is the most reliable means of control, and that those who promoted religion centuries ago were the ones who would benefit directly from it via rulership, taxes, conscription, etc.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
For many people, religion = fear. They don't want to go to hell so they follow God. Is that really the relationship God wants to have with his Christians? Follow me or you will burn for eternity? Does he really want people to believe because they are terrified?

Some may argue that fear is the most reliable means of control, and that those who promoted religion centuries ago were the ones who would benefit directly from it via rulership, taxes, conscription, etc.

My last post:
It is also a fact that the Bible got manipulated during the Dark Ages. The people couldn't read, but after the French revolution (when education became more important) even some of the poor could. The church started to make changes in the Bible because they didn't want the people to know everything that was written in there. They told people that they had to pay fees to the church in order to enter heaven after their death. If they wouldn't pay, they would go to hell. And if you sinned - no problem. Give the priest 50 coins and it is forgotten. Heck, you could even pay the priest on beforehand! You could pay for 10 sins before committing them, and because you payed you didn't have to be punished anymore.
This was the Catholic church of the Dark Ages. That same church manipulated the Bible for decades. So we know the Bible we have, is not 'accurate'. It is a product of the church who wants people to fear them.

I have to study this for my history exams. Believe me, I've spend the biggest part of last week reading about this XD

AS88

Staff member
Shall we end this topic, then, before people start a religious discussion? There have been threads here which have quickly been blown out of proportion when this sort of topic is breached.

Shall we agree that:
"If you have the other games and saw no problem in them, then I don't see any reason why the rest would be different. The Elder Scrolls series has undertones of lust, deceit, murder, even with books in game detailing this, as well as multiple gods and devil-worship (the Daedra). If you've played those without any problems, I don't think the series will get any more controversial for you in another game."

Irishman

Well-Endowed Member
Shall we end this topic, then, before people start a religious discussion? There have been threads here which have quickly been blown out of proportion when this sort of topic is breached.

Good idea. No1 here wants to see any1 hurt/upset or anymore confused than nessasary :D

Colonelscout312

The Descendant of Tiber Septim.
Agreed. Anouck, if you have any more questions, pm me and I will try and answer them.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Agreed. Anouck, if you have any more questions, pm me and I will try and answer them.

You are open minded and even willing to discuss this. That is a really good attitude. I know people who should be a bit more like that. :) I hope you don't take offense from anything that has been said.

Colonelscout312

The Descendant of Tiber Septim.
Thank you. Let me know if you ever wish to discuss this again.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor
Regarding sexual content in Elder Scrolls games:

You'll never actually see any characters having sex. You'll periodically hear a joke about it or a reference to it, but nothing really graphic. The most explicit would be the Lusty Argonian Maid books, but those are more double entendre than any actual sex.
Daggerfall, though, has nudity in it. Your character can be naked, and you'll find nude women as both townspeople and enemies. Women have visible breasts, but all genitalia are like Barbie and Ken. I also understand that one of the books in Daggerfall has sexual content in it, and more so than any other TES game. I'm not sure which book it is, nor how graphic it is.

When it comes to buying the whole anthology, I'd pass unless you really want the maps that come with it. Arena and Daggerfall are freely available.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Regarding sexual content in Elder Scrolls games:

You'll never actually see any characters having sex. You'll periodically hear a joke about it or a reference to it, but nothing really graphic. The most explicit would be the Lusty Argonian Maid books, but those are more double entendre than any actual sex.
Daggerfall, though, has nudity in it. Your character can be naked, and you'll find nude women as both townspeople and enemies. Women have visible breasts, but all genitalia are like Barbie and Ken. I also understand that one of the books in Daggerfall has sexual content in it, and more so than any other TES game. I'm not sure which book it is, nor how graphic it is.

When it comes to buying the whole anthology, I'd pass unless you really want the maps that come with it. Arena and Daggerfall are freely available.

Real Barenziah, between a Dunmer and a Khajiit. Is the book you're referring to for sexual content.

Janus3003

Skyrim Marriage Counselor

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Now I use uesp a lot but I came across this page for the 1st time and thought you might be interested Mr.Scout :D

http://www.uesp.net/wiki/Differences_Between_Morrowind,_Oblivion,_and_Skyrim

I found it interesting as Im thinking about getting Oblvion and perhaps Morrowind one day.
Morrowind is cool, but way more difficult than Skyrim. The only thing you have is a journal where your character takes notes of the people he meets and the quests he hears about. There is no compass or quest menu. It is easy to get lost, and you need to learn how to use landmarks. I'd take a notebook and write down some things when you play for the first time. It comes in handy, especially because that way you don't have to scroll through your character's journal. :)

Caideus

Man I got do lost in Morrowind. I even had a game guide, but my gaming experience then wasn't much. I'm actually waiting for Skywind to be finished, so I can play the storyline. If I could, if I had the time to Morrowind how it was made, I would but... I don't know, I did have a lot fun with it and my earlist memory wih it is when I killed everyone in this one house and made it mine. So if I do go back to okay it, I'm going to be taking Anouck's suggestion and pen and pad notes down.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts