ESO Anthology, looking for a Christian review.

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Colonelscout312

The Descendant of Tiber Septim.
Okay. I'm 14, and a Christian. I would like to buy it, but here are my questions.
1: Are there any Christians here who can review the games for me minus skyrim.
2: Is it worth it if you have morrowind, skyrim, and hearthfire?

Sent from my KFOT using Tapatalk

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Short question: why do you need a Christian to review it? I've read the Bible, so I am familiar with the religion. Is there a specific sort of information you're looking for?

Colonelscout312

I'm just looking for a review from a Christian point of view. I am mostly focusing on things such as sexual content and other mature themes. Don't bother with language and violence though.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
I can answer that question for you, but you really have to be a bit more specific.

As far as sexual content goes: there is no sex in TESO as far as I am concerned. But it is an online game, and people can still swear and say sexual things.

an offtopic question (I am just interested), why is sexual content a problem but violence is not?

Colonelscout312

Woops, named it wrong. I meant the elder scrolls anthology.
The first post probably made very little sense.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
ah, well, same thing...

There is no sex in any of the games, as far as I am concerned. Maybe a few characters swear now and then, but that is really about it. You can't see any characters naked. If you undress them, you only see underwear.

But my question remains... Why is sex a problem but violence isn't? Sex is an act of love, natural and it creates life. While violence hurts and kills people. I don't try to imply anything, but I am interested.

Colonelscout312

Well, sex outside of marriage is a sin, as is lust. Those things can often put lustful thoughts in my head. And also since I am fourteen, any sexual content or something that could put such thoughts in my head isn't something we want. And we don't worry to much about violence and fighting. Blood and violence isn't to big of a deal. I saw the Lord of the Rings all the way through when I was about 5 years old.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Well, sex outside of marriage is a sin, as is lust. Those things can often put lustful thoughts in my head. And also since I am fourteen, any sexual content or something that could put such thoughts in my head isn't something we want. And we don't worry to much about violence and fighting. Blood and violence isn't to big of a deal. I saw the Lord of the Rings all the way through when I was about 5 years old.

But you get what I mean, right? Sex outside of marriage is something you consider a sin, so is lust. But violence "isn't too big of a deal". I think if two people have sex, whether they are married or not, and both parties enjoy it and respect each other, that won't do as much harm as two people smashing each others heads in? Maybe an extreme example, but I guess you get my point. Violence is worse than sex before marriage.

Colonelscout312

Actually, there is a sort of grey area about this. First, no sin is greater than another. Lying is no worse then murder in God's eyes, and second, killing and violence was never named as a sin. Murder was, but not killing. If that were true, God would have committed a sin, and that is impossible. However, lust and sex outside of marriage is clearly told to be a sin. And since it is an adventure game, violence is not a big deal.

Anouck

Queen of Procrastination
Actually, there is a sort of grey area about this. First, no sin is greater than another. Lying is no worse then murder in God's eyes, and second, killing and violence was never named as a sin. Murder was, but not killing. If that were true, God would have committed a sin, and that is impossible. However, lust and sex outside of marriage is clearly told to be a sin. And since it is an adventure game, violence is not a big deal.

How do you define the difference between killing and murder?

I find it very very wrong that lying and murder is considered equal. Especially because everyone lies. We can't even help that, it happens unconscious. It starts at a very early age, when baby's cry just to get attention from their parents. And later, when a kid eats a cookie and tells his mom his brother did it. Everyone lied at least once, it is nearly impossible to completely avoid it.
Lying is not always bad either. Imagine this: your best friend is ugly and asks you if you think she is pretty. Are you going to tell your friend she is terribly ugly and you can't even look at her? Or are you going to tell her something that won't hurt her feelings? And if your kid asks you if Santa is coming for Christmas? Are you going to tell the little one Santa isn't real?

Violence is "not a big deal", killing is not a sin but lying and sex before marriage is? o_O

Colonelscout312

I will explain later. I have the answers, but not the time right now.

Colonelscout312

Alright. Her it goes. Lying is a sin. Murder is a sin. If you lie, but don't murder, you won't get an easier punishment than the The Joker from the Dark Knight. There is no level 1 sin and level 11 sin, there is just sin.

Colonelscout312

And no you are not. No one but Jesus was ever perfect.
The Bible says:
"For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God." That is why he died. I lied just today. That doesn't make me any worse or better then you.

Colonelscout312

In response to your hypothetical about the "ugly girl." I would not tell her she is pretty, reason being that she will undoubtedly be told by quite a few people that she is ugly. I would not come out and day that she is ugly though, I would speak the truth in love and say something like this:
"I think you are a very nice girl (assuming she's nice.), and a good friend. You may not be the prettiest girl right now, but give it time, and you will become beautiful I'm sure. There are a lot of stars who were ugly as beck when they were younger, and now they are stunning."

Colonelscout312

And I also won't ever tell my kids that Santa is real. That is what my parents did, and because of that I have gotten well into the spirit of gift giving and focusing on what Christmas was intended to be, a celebration of Jesus's birth.

Colonelscout312

Now, the killing and murder one. The commandment, thou shalt not murder, is not thou shalt not kill. Killing in self defense, if that is the only option, and in a war, is by my deduction alright with God. After all, his people, the Jews, were in many a war where they killed people, and he did not hold them against the sin of murder. In fact, recall the great flood of Noah. God killed the entire human race, minus Noah and his family. If killing were wrong, then God would have committed a sin. And God cannot sin. It is the difference between being Cain and killing your brother because you hate him, and being a dad who shoots a guy while protecting his kids.

Colonelscout312

And by violence, I mean the fighting side of things. Since this is a game with dragons and giants and swords, it is implied that there is gonna be violence. Hence why I said "it's no big deal."

Colonelscout312

Also, do you believe it would be stupid to get it if I already have morrowind, skyrim, and hearthfire? The Elder Scrolls Anthology, I mean.

DrunkenMage

Intoxicated Arch-Mage
Murder is merely a point of view by law. Killing and murder are both interchangeable, if you were to see a bandit camp in TES and enter it to kill them. That is technically murder, which is premeditated killing.

If killing were wrong, then God would have committed a sin. And God cannot sin.

If God created man in his own image, then killing man is killing God. Would not killing the image and creation of God, be the ultimate sin?

Now for the real paradox, if God can't sin. Then how can he be God? If God can do everything. If God can't sin, then God can't do everything and thus he can't be God for a God is not limited.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts