• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Revan-

Just curious what enchantments people use.

I'll just try to not be a newb and start this.

I personally use the waterbreathing enchantment on my helmet, since i have the insatiable need to dive for those sunken ships.

Cherry

Farfetch'd is judging you!
My current Battlemage-type Dark Elf really likes his Fortify Health enchantments. He gains almost 100 health from them combined. Also, the Fire Damage on his Ebony Sword doesn't hurt.

When playing a pure mage, I use a lot of fortify magicka and magicka regen enchantments. It's very effective in making your mage more powerful.

Ritterkreuz

Duel enchantments is the way to go. I always go for a Health/Health regen on piece, stamina/carry weight enchantment on another. With gloves or gauntlets is always fortify one and two hand attacks. I also try to work in a lot of resistances with rings and necklaces.

Breton

Breton warrior-mage:

Boots- resist frost, resist shock
Bracers- fortify light armor, fortify magicka
Necklace- Fortify magicka, resist disease
Ring- fortify magicka regen, fortify health
Circlet- fortify destruction, fortify magicka

Moonwort

I'm currently dual-wielding (swords) with 2 enchantments each. Fire, Frost, lightining, and paralyze. Hit'em with everything. It's actually a little too much.

David Hart

Yeah, I had dual enchantments on dual-wielding daggers plus one-handed perks and found that I could take out just about anything quickly. Dragons took only 3 or 4 power attacks. I switched it up a bit to a two-handed sword with just absorb health in order to increase my two-handed skill level. It made the fights a little more even.

At the end I switched out the dual-wielding daggers for dual-wielding cutlasses with dual enchantments... curved..... blades..... (grin)

DovahCap

The one cube to rule them all.
My two weapons are named the Purple Glowey Sword of Soul Trapping and the Bow that Freezes People.

c:

Medea

The Shadow Queen
As a mage, you should put more enchantments into fortify destruction (or another magic school if you use it all the time) rather than fortify magicka. Magicka regen combined with fortify destruction is much more effective than with fortify magicka. It's possible to get your casting cost to zero for one particular school of magic in this way, but I consider it an exploit (cheat), so the highest I'll go for reducing my magicka cost is around 70%.

Another very useful enchantment is magic resist. It even works against Dragon's breath weapon attacks and is more effective than resist fire, frost and shock, but like all enchantments, you can only put it on certain pieces of your outfit. Once you get your magic resist to 50% or more you'll notice a huge difference when fighting those pesky dragons and master wizards.

Gore gro-Gijakudob

Once you an awesome enchanter, it gives you the freedom to do pretty much what you like! I personally experimented with most enchantments on my weapons and armour. Currently I have gone for my twin swords, Romulus and Remus, Romulus has Shock and soul trap, Remus has Fire and ice damage. Is it original? Nope, it it fun as helll? Yep.

Enchantments are useless when your character is weak and the enemies are stronger, but later in the game it gets to be almost too easy and will ruin the fun of it if you are not careful.

I had a Paralyze for 4 seconds bow in the beginning which greatly saved my butt many times as I was level 30-40 and using a bow that did 110 damage (was unfamiliar with smithing and upgrading then)

Later when I start upgrading it at the smithing station to stronger levels, it was too powerful and not so much fun anymore. So I dropped bow down (created another) that did less damage and only had Frost damage 20 points and Soul Trap on it.

I had an Ebony Sword that was like 32 damage or something (weakest it could go) and I put a paralyze enchantment on it and could still clear out dungeons with it because you simply slash them and then hack away while they are defenseless.

However the Fortify Carry Weight is a god send considering how much loot and horde.

Revan-

As a mage, you should put more enchantments into fortify destruction (or another magic school if you use it all the time) rather than fortify magicka. Magicka regen combined with fortify destruction is much more effective than with fortify magicka. It's possible to get your casting cost to zero for one particular school of magic in this way, but I consider it an exploit (cheat), so the highest I'll go for reducing my magicka cost is around 70%.

Another very useful enchantment is magic resist. It even works against Dragon's breath weapon attacks and is more effective than resist fire, frost and shock, but like all enchantments, you can only put it on certain pieces of your outfit. Once you get your magic resist to 50% or more you'll notice a huge difference when fighting those pesky dragons and master wizards.

This just sparked my interest in a big way. You say you can enchant for 50% magic resistance, now, would that stack onto a breton's race perk? also, i'm curious as to if you'd be interested in talking about gameplay using a full fledged mage :)

Medea

The Shadow Queen
This just sparked my interest in a big way. You say you can enchant for 50% magic resistance, now, would that stack onto a breton's race perk? also, i'm curious as to if you'd be interested in talking about gameplay using a full fledged mage :)

Yes, it stacks with all other magic resistance abilities as far as my knowledge goes. So, if a Breton stars with 25% magic resist and gets two 25% mag. resist enchantments for his gear, his overall resistance would be 75%. The only thing you have to remember is no matter what your resistance, armor rating, or whatever, there is a cap of 80%. So, even if your armor rating is over 567 (which is the damage cap of 80%), or any of your resistances are 100% or more, you still take 20% of the damage from whatever type of attack you receive. So if you already have a resistance rating of 80% or higher in anything, you'll only be wasting enchantments if you try to put any more into them.

Revan-

Yes, it stacks with all other magic resistance abilities as far as my knowledge goes. So, if a Breton stars with 25% magic resist and gets two 25% mag. resist enchantments for his gear, his overall resistance would be 75%. The only thing you have to remember is no matter what your resistance, armor rating, or whatever, there is a cap of 80%. So, even if your armor rating is over 567 (which is the damage cap of 80%), or any of your resistances are 100% or more, you still take 20% of the damage from whatever type of attack you receive. So if you already have a resistance rating of 80% or higher in anything, you'll only be wasting enchantments if you try to put any more into them.

yeah, iv'e been told about the cap previously, but i was unaware it affected magic, so i do appreciate that, i think i'm going to try this.

Medea

The Shadow Queen
yeah, iv'e been told about the cap previously, but i was unaware it affected magic, so i do appreciate that, i think i'm going to try this.

I've already tested this, just to reassure you. I started out with a Nord and she had 50% frost resistance. With the Nightingale armor, my frost resistance was 100%, but I still take visible damage from a dragon's frost breath attack or master necromancers using frost magic, and that's with magic resistance too.

Revan-

I've already tested this, just to reassure you. I started out with a Nord and she had 50% frost resistance. With the Nightingale armor, my frost resistance was 100%, but I still take visible damage from a dragon's frost breath attack or master necromancers using frost magic, and that's with magic resistance too.

i meant the 80% magic resistance, i wanna be the alpha mage lol

Medea

The Shadow Queen
i meant the 80% magic resistance, i wanna be the alpha mage lol

Well, I only got my magic resist to like 60%, because I still want the game to be a challenge. But if you had the cap of 80% magic resist, and also fire resistance of 50%, that means that the first 80% of damage a fire attack would be stopped by the magic resistance, and then the damage left over would be cut in half from the 50% fire resistance. Since there is a cap of 80%, however, even if you had 100% magic resist and 100% fire resist, 20% of the damage would get through the mag. resist, and then 20% of THAT damage would get through your fire resistance.

Revan-

Well, I only got my magic resist to like 60%, because I still want the game to be a challenge. But if you had the cap of 80% magic resist, and also fire resistance of 50%, that means that the first 80% of damage a fire attack would be stopped by the magic resistance, and then the damage left over would be cut in half from the 50% fire resistance. Since there is a cap of 80%, however, even if you had 100% magic resist and 100% fire resist, 20% of the damage would get through the mag. resist, and then 20% of THAT damage would get through your fire resistance.

say it's 100 damage, 20% of 100 is 20, 20% of 20 is 4... so you'd take 4 damage from a 100 damage fire attack, i could live with that

Squirrel_killer-

The blade in the dark and the hand at your throat
I once used a crafting loop to get all my resistances up to 96%. Too easy.

Breton

I agree, the fortify magic skill enchantment gives a better result if you focus on one school, especially at higher levels. I'm transitioning into other schools atm so I need the flexibility of plain fortify magicka.

I like magic resistance too, but I figured with Breton blood 25% + lord stone 25% + Agent of Mara 15%, I could free up the enchantable slots on my gear. Plus there's not much you can enchant on your boots, so that's where I put my elemental resistances.

KC95

I only ever really enchant a bow if I've perked the archery skill with flames, ice, or stamina absorption. I've only perked the enchantment tree once, and don't see myself doing it again because it overpowered me.

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts