• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!

Belial666

OK, a few game hours ago, I found an elixir of blacksmithing in some ruin, a potion giving +30% max item improvement for half a minute, and seeing as I already had ebony ingots from a blacksmith and some daedra hearts I bought from the mage college, I decided to build myself some good pieces of daedric armor, drink the potion and upgrade them (after I donned the smithing boost items I had, of course). That done, I went and dual-enchanted the awesome armor with various bonuses.

Now however, I found an elixir of enchanting that, for a short time, allows me to enchant at +25% better. However, my items are already enchanted and I no longer have an elixir of blacksmithing to make the best ones anymore. So..., questions:

1) Do you guys know where to find any more elixirs of blacksmithing or enchanting?
2) Do you guys know how to brew those elixirs?
3) Are there any item enchantments giving bonus to enchanting? (I already know about the blacksmithing ones - I got 4 of them)

Pestilence

Uneducated guesses since 1983
1) No (If someone finds a vendor please let us know)
2) Ingredients for both:
Fortify Enchanting: Blue Butterfly Wing, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap
Fortify Smithing: Blistwort, Glowing Mushroom, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap
3) No, you cannot enchant gear to have a bonus to Enchanting.

Edit: #3 is something that the guide states does not exist, nor does any unique armor have any bonus to Enchanting that is listed in the guide, or on any list I have ever found.

Belial666

Thanks. If there are no other bonuses to enchanting then I know I can make the uber dadra plate set without missing out on anything.

Out of curiosity, if I got fire resist 65% and magic resist 26%, then will a firestorm normally doing 90 damage going to do only 8 damage? (91% reduction)

EDIT:
Just thought of something. Is it possible to make an enchantment or potion that boosts alchemy or potion effects, then brew an improved elixir of enchanting, which you use to make even more improved enchantments?

Pestilence

You can't make a potion to improve Alchemy, but you can fortify 4 pieces of gear (head, hands, ring, and necklace) to +25% (a base cap) each.

Belial666

Aha!

So, here are the steps;

1) Make a cheap set (necklace, ring, helmet, hands) giving +100% alchemy.
2) Make a boosted elixir of enchanting.
3) Drink elixir and make cheap set #2, giving +160% alchemy or so.
4) Make an improved boosted elixir of enchanting.
5) Drink elixir and make cheap set #2, giving +200% alchemy or so.
6) Make a highly boosted elixir of enchanting.
7) Make a dwarven set (necklace, ring, helmet, hands, chest, boots) giving +200% alchemy and blacksmithing. Name it Gear of the Tinker.
8) Drinking an Ultimate Elixir of Blacksmithing and Enchanting and wearing Tninker's Gear, make the ultimate set of Daedric Armor.

Pestilence

So far, the acceptable community response to armor cap is 672, which gives you a damage reduction of 80% (also cap). This can be achieved by simply putting the appropriate points in Heavy Armor and using a +% Smithing potion (+30% I believe will achieve this, but I'll have to verify that). That means taking excessive steps to make enchanted armor that makes better armor is pointless unless you want to cap something other than higher end Heavy Armor (IE: Leather, Elven).

A conversation can be found here that describes this in more detail, along with a correct algorithm to determine your damage reduction.

Belial666

Thanks for the link and the replies. I just finished my extreme crafting testing just to see how much I could take armor with crafting improvements. Here are the results;

Total crafting set alchemy bonus: +88% (+22% x4)
Total crafting set smithing bonus: +88% (+22% x4)
Enchanting potion max bonus: +28%
Smithing potion max bonus: +113%

AC with fully smithed Daedric armor: 1233
Damage with fully smithed Daedric Sword: 435

1233 armor might be well over the damage reduction cap however if the enemy has an ability to ignore a certain portion of your armor (such as the perk for maces), it would still give full damage reduction even if an enemy negated nearly 600 points of armor (half of it).

The bonuses here are for smithing and enchanting ONLY. They don't have any bonuses to armor or damage from racial abilities, spells, powers, blessings, stones and the like so ppl with such bonuses can potentially get more damage and armor than that.

Apedemek

With an enchanter's elixir, I got my smithing and alchemy set to +28% x4 = +112%, so you should be able to get better bonuses :)

Boriking

1) No (If someone finds a vendor please let us know)
2) Ingredients for both:
Fortify Enchanting: Blue Butterfly Wing, Hagraven Claw, Snowberries, Spriggan Sap
Fortify Smithing: Blistwort, Glowing Mushroom, Sabre Cat Tooth, Spriggan Sap
3) No, you cannot enchant gear to have a bonus to Enchanting.

Edit: #3 is something that the guide states does not exist, nor does any unique armor have any bonus to Enchanting that is listed in the guide, or on any list I have ever found.

This was definetly a great help. Been able to find all the items at most shops even though sometimes I have to wait the 48 hour for they can restock. Is their any specific location(s) for each item mainly for Fortify Enchanting?

Apedemek

I usually just collect blue butterfly wings and snowberries while wandering so my stock on those are extremely high. Hagraven claws are a bit harder to find, but i can usually find a few on most alchemy vendors and have stockpiled quite a bit of them over time.

Boriking

Yeah the Snowberries I been able to find plenty of. But Blue Butterfly Wings not so much. Most the time I try to find the items at a vendor but I know I could find more quantity in the wild.

Boriking

I found that the Hanningbrew Meadery's Basement has a great amount of glowing mushrooms. I harversted about 30 of them in one visit

Brownsound01

You can't make a potion to improve Alchemy, but you can fortify 4 pieces of gear (head, hands, ring, and necklace) to +25% (a base cap) each.
Hey guys, I'm having a bit of trouble enchanting my Alchemy gear.
I have 100 Enchanting (5 in Enchanter, plus points in Insightful Enchanter, Corpus, and Extra Effect). However, my alchemy gear only gives me a 20% bonus? (8% standard * 100% bonus * 25% extra = 20% total). How are people getting 25% base bonuses?

Lorenz DethCloak

i eat dragons for breakfast, now whats for lunch
i got my 1 handed daedric sword/war axde up to 866 damage and i believe 879 dam, using a similar method, but also made a fortify restoration potions along with my smithing and alchemy and enchanting, maxed out my enchanting set using these potions, but the trick is, to not only drink the enchanting just before u enchant as well as make sure u got your enchanting set on, but also drink a fortify restoration potion, now i think it only lasts for around 30 seconds, but u can get a few items enchanted in that time same as smithing, it applies to that as well. and also got my ebony mail i got from a quest up to 566 def, and my dragon armour i think just over 600 def, thats not including my helm,boots,gloves, my daedrix battle axe does 988 dam, which i can 1 shot an ancient dragon, so im happy with it :).. after i do this again, ill m\ake sure to write this method down and share :)

Dagmar

Defender of the Bunnies of Skyrim
Help me get my reputation up to 5 if this was helpful. ;-)
Yeah, don't hold your breath waiting for a rep point from the OP seeing as how this thread is over 5 months old and he hasn't logged in since November. :p

Kudos to the other guy for the pointless necropost as well. :rolleyes:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts