Elder Scrolls Online VS Skyrim (Modded)

• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
I am really excited for ESO. So far all the coverage & reveals I've seen look pretty sweet. Problem is that I am absolutely in LOVE with Skyrim having the Creation Kit & basically being able to do whatever we want within the Skyrim world. It is my belief that this is how these types of games should be. Let the fans create tons of extra content. And then it is up to each user how they want their ES Universe to be. However after looking around a bit it seems like everyone has a matter of fact attitude about there being no chance of a Creation Kit for ESO. I understand all of their points as to why this could be the case. But I can't help but hope that Bethesda hooks us up.

And if it turns out that Bethesda doesn't set us up with an ESO Creation Kit, how many of you plan on sticking to a "Modable" Skyrim? And how many will just play both?

EleanorUnicorn

I'll never stop playing (heavily modded) skyrim, even when TES online comes out :) There's something amazing about having your own world, where you're the hero and can do whatever you want rather than having to deal with noobs 24/7. Can't wait for TES online or TES 6, but Skyrim will always have a special place in my heart <3 Plus, being able to mod your game makes it never ending x

I'll never stop playing (heavily modded) skyrim, even when TES online comes out :) There's something amazing about having your own world, where you're the hero and can do whatever you want rather than having to deal with noobs 24/7. Can't wait for TES online or TES 6, but Skyrim will always have a special place in my heart <3 Plus, being able to mod your game makes it never ending x

I agree with you completely :) However I plan on playing both. Or at least trying ESO to see if it's fun. It's possibly just different enough to change the normal style of MMO RPG's. And I would enjoy that. But as long as Skyrim has modding & ESO doesn't, I will most likely put most of my time into (As You Said) a HEAVILY Modded Skyrim. There is nothing like making your own game inside one of your favorite games ^_^

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
There wont be a creation kit for ESO. The fact that Bethesda isn't developing ES should be the biggest hint, but think about some of the mods available, they can be simple additions or gamebreaking. The main thing is how difficult it is to regulate the content.

Even then its apples to oranges. I wouldn't try to compare the ESO to Skyrim. Their will be similarities beyond lore, but not enough to make them directly comparable.

That said I like your idea of submitting user made content. That would definitely allow a better longevity cycle.

There wont be a creation kit for ESO. The fact that Bethesda isn't developing ES should be the biggest hint, but think about some of the mods available, they can be simple additions or gamebreaking. The main thing is how difficult it is to regulate the content.

Even then its apples to oranges. I wouldn't try to compare the ESO to Skyrim. Their will be similarities beyond lore, but not enough to make them directly comparable.

That said I like your idea of submitting user made content. That would definitely allow a better longevity cycle.

It wasn't my intent to compare the complete games against each other, as much as compare the level of fun to be had by the players of each game. I do think that user created content should be a part of ESO. Mainly because I am never very happy with the amount & quality of armor, weapons, spells, etc. But that could just be me. I would be more than happy to sit back & let Bethesda & Zenimax do all the work for us. But I am beginning to get the impression that they are not capable of this within the time constraints they are given. So I'm not seeing another option besides the fans doing it for free in their spare time. You do raise a good point though. Game breaking glitches in content are a GIGANTIC concern to all players. Keep in mind though, every ES title I've played has had these come from the developers themselves. I've never quit playing an ES game because I ran out of things to do. I have always given up because of a game-breaking glitch that pissed away hundreds to thousands of hours of gaming. And after encountering such a thing 3 or so times in a row, I no longer have the patience or will to begin the game again.

I would just like such things to stop.

Seanu Reaves

The Shogun of Gaming
BTW it is nice to see an intelligent level headed new member.

See when I say game-breaking I meant those super powerful modds that make the game almost to easy. Bugs are problems for Bethesda developed games, but when they are publishing it depends on the individual studious. Dishonored is a fine example of this.

And honestly for an MMO it sounds like it will be innovative having the combat system be a hybrid of what has been done and Skyrim/ Elder scrolls gameplay. But fan made content may be to steep of a hill to climb as of right now.

BTW it is nice to see an intelligent level headed new member.

See when I say game-breaking I meant those super powerful modds that make the game almost to easy. Bugs are problems for Bethesda developed games, but when they are publishing it depends on the individual studious. Dishonored is a fine example of this.

And honestly for an MMO it sounds like it will be innovative having the combat system be a hybrid of what has been done and Skyrim/ Elder scrolls gameplay. But fan made content may be to steep of a hill to climb as of right now.

I appreciate the compliment :) And I agree that many modders get way too crazy with creating some enemies, spells, weapons, & armor. It would be nice if each creator keep a means of balance when modding these things. I am thinking that in the beginning it could just be coloring, aura effects, & texturing of armor & weapons. And maybe set up a micro transaction system so creators can make a little money from it. Even though I'm sure they would be more than happy to do it for free.

Suleku

The Grey Knight

:sadface: But you must help those noobs.... lol even if they have the wrong gear and don't know how to play their class XD.... I mean come on a healer trying to do nothing but melee, and not heal anyone in the party.. I think we're all been there before :3

Hargood

Defender of Helpless Kittens
I don't think you will get the Bugs that you get with other Elderscrolls games. There are totally diffrent programs, engines, and Beasts all together.

As for Modding, There really can't be the "Elderscrolls" type of Modding in an MMO. There are Mod's for MMO's though. Like with WoW, people have developed things to help them do raids better, and things to help them with alerts and things like that. Some are aloud and depened on, others were cheating and have been banned from the games.

SaveVsBedWet

I will likely play both, and hope for the best of both worlds but which one takes up the most of my attention will depend on how much that I consider "key" is truly lost with ESO. I can do without the power mods and the like, but I will need graphics that are not clear sellouts to consoles. Nobody on PC is spending this much time making/installing texture mods and re-textures in a game that on ultra already looks far better than most other games because graphical quality is low priority. I hope they remember that.

This, and I hope they don't go the way Defiance is going and limit the character customizations to some lame few sliders or templates and then simply forget about it. One of the things that sets TES apart (and always has) is the attention to detail where the character's appearance and story were concerned. Of course, a bunch of that is due to being able to mod meshes and body/face models and ESO can't match that, but no A B or C and that's it, please.

Mookie

I think Skyrim will be better because of all the freedom you have, all the leasure. You can play as heavy armour guy or you can roleplay a redguard with just a scimitar and hammerfell garb. But as soon as you trow in some players there will be competition and you wont have the freedom. It will be get the best things you can or die :/

jarif

there should be a single player experience where it allows mods, i dont think its a problem buying armor mods and allow people to make their own armor mods. GTA has online and it has mods. Pewwwwwwwdiepie and smosh example

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts