• Welcome to Skyrim Forums! Register now to participate using the 'Sign Up' button on the right. You may now register with your Facebook or Steam account!
  • Hey there, and welcome to our roleplaying section. Please take some time to read two of these useful resources below, if you're already a roleplaying expert, then there's no need to read the following beginner's guide, but be sure to read the rules.

Free Form Role Playing Guide for Beginners
    JavaScript is disabled. For a better experience, please enable JavaScript in your browser before proceeding.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    EotABANNER.jpg

"I don't think anyone here truly understands how useful my work will be."
    Arniel Gane

Following the mysterious disappearance of Arniel Gane, professor at the College of Winterhold, a group of students decide to embark on an expedition in search for the long forgotten magical artefacts of the ancient Dwemer. Against the advice of the Arch Mage, the group sets off; each one for differing reasons. Be it knowledge, glory or power, they have come together in a common goal...

To delve the depths of the Dwemer ruins and discover the secrets of the ancients.

Students

Wolfbane as: Jaden Vivec

Shadowkitty as: Una Springthorn

Simus as: Alice Psyrakon

Dabiene Caristiana as: Dabiene Caristiana

Daryl Dixon as: Henry

The day starts as any other day. You wake up, go to your classes, greet your fellow students. All normal things. Well, as normal as the College of Winterhold can be. Towards the end of the day however, a mysterious piece of parchment appears as if from nowhere. Maybe you found it resting on your pillow in your dorm room, or in your satchel. Or maybe it was just suddenly in your pocket. How ever it appeared, you are immediately curious. As your eyes scan the seemingly blank yellowed paper, words start to appear. You read intently…

Amaund_Motierres_Sealed_Letter.png

Last edited:

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    Una was nervous. More nervous than the time she had unintentionally summoned her bound crossbow during conjuration class and shot out a window pane in the Hall of the Elements during her first year. Her hands shook as she finished the last of the letters and placed the quill on the table, spilling a small blob of the brown ink onto the worn wood. She blew impatiently on the last letter so that the ink dried quicker, then placed the parchment down next to the others.

Checking the spell she had copied from a book in the Arcanaeum one last time, she closed her eyes and took a deep breath then concentrated on each letter, assigning it to one particular person while she muttered the incantation under her breath. She wasn’t particularly skilled at alteration and it took all her effort to keep the spell from fizzling out. She was rewarded with success as one by one, her neat cursive writing faded until the parchment were once more just blank pieces of paper. She then ended the spell with a flourish and the letters disappeared altogether.

There, she sighed, it is done. No going back now. She wiped her sweaty palms down the front of her College robes and stood. She was sure she had picked her companions well. One she was almost 100% sure of. The other two were the gamble. Yet she had seen a spark in both of their eyes. They craved the same thing. To get out of the College. To find adventure. And if that meant delving into the bowels of Skyrim chasing echoes of an ancient people then so be it.

She stood quickly and gathered up her satchel then headed to her next lecture. Best to keep up appearances, after the Arch Mage all but forbid me when I asked him. She nodded a polite greeting to a fellow student, a Khajiit who was always trying to compete with her. What the Arch Mage doesn’t know won’t hurt him. She let out a nervous half giggle as she left the Hall of Attainment and pulled her hood down further over her head as the frigid winds basted her with snow.

Anything to get away from, this… she sighed.

Dabiene Caristiana

Your friendly neighborhood weirdo
    It was late in the afternoon by the time Dabiene Caristiana was able to finally trudge herself back into the student dorms, the Hall of Attainment. She had spent a whole afternoon helping the Master Wizard Mirabelle Ervine, along with Arch-Mage Savos Aren, in re-strengthening the wards around the College. Due to the somewhat recent events, the local Nords as Mirabelle put it, were a bit miffed and paranoid and that it "didn't hurt to be more careful". Apparently the Arch-Mage had agreed.

For the last few weeks the poor woman was swamped with Savos' constant tasks. Helping the wards, helping in making sure the focus points around the college were strong, making sure not too many nasties were lurking deep beneath the College in the Midden... and checking to make sure the new students didn't incinerate themselves.

While Dabiene was certain all these new tasks were a way to keep herself occupied at bay and not think of her 'little problem', she was still miffed at the man for keeping her from her research to cure said problem. Even if he did say, "any spare time I have, I will dedicate to it", it did nothing to reassure her whatsoever.

Finally inside her room she slammed the doors closed and leaned heavily on them, letting out a groan. J'zargo was close to blowing up himself or innocent bystanders again. It seemed that his determination in being the "best mage" and finally accomplishing the working success of those damned anti undead scrolls were going to be the death of him. Or someone else. After finally telling him off and warning him to give it a rest he finally complied. Although, he was none too pleased. Not that Dabiene cared either way. The cat man was an annoyance. Smart, crafty, ambitious, but terribly annoying.

After collecting herself she slowly walked over to the side of the bed, ready to just collapse and fall into a coma induced slumber. Before she could do so however... there was a note. Resting on her pillow. Dabiene glared at the folded paper and huffed, as if the paper itself were the source of all her problems that day. While it was tempting to simply toss it in the air and toss a fire spell at it, making a colorful display in the process, she decided against it. Feeling particularly curious and just a bit scornful, she decided to just read it and bust whoever made the daring decision to go into her rooms and laying a piece of annoying parchment upon her pillow. Ruining her chances of sleep. Even if only for a few seconds.

Quickly grabbing and unfolding the paper with a scowl still on her face, she began to read...

BEC68DA783E6F7C8A00D2F4430A43E934C98A429

Her eyes moved rapidly across the parchment, brow furrowing deeper and deeper until her eyes reached the end. 'Whoever wrote this... they will be very sorry.'

Spinning around with the note tightly in her clenched hands she started to march toward the doors of her room, mind seemingly made. But then she stopped. Stopped short, her nose within inches from them.

Slowly relaxing her fist and bringing the note up, she read it again. It was very temping to bring this to the Arch-Mage. So very tempting.

However... she was also very curious.... while also being very saddened suddenly. She remembered Arniel, and while he never talked much to her about what he was up to, when he did he was very animated about his research. It was only after she dismissed his suggestions to trying to recreate a scenario similar to what the Dwarves did that lead to their disappearance did he stop talking to her. At first, she was very interested in his research, loving the topic of history and especially the ancient Dwemer. However, after having seen him lock himself away for days on end and only come out very rarely, only talking about his 'research and study', she became very suspicious as to what was going on.

A few days later, he disappeared without a trace. Just... gone... poof!

When looking into his room after he had failed to appear for nearly three days, she had seen a dagger oddly resembling the ancient tool "keening", a soul gem in a makeshift stand, and nothing else. Granted the soul gem was empty and therefore wasn't much use, but still... it was very odd. When bringing it to the attention of the Arch-Mage, he had then demanded to see it. Almost yelling in the process. After showing him the remnants of Arniel's experiment gone wrong he had quickly round up all the senior members and warned each and every one of them to keep quit about it. Soon after, the room was cleared out and Dabiene had no idea what happened to all the things packed away. When the Breton questioned Savos about such behavior from Arniel as well as the experiment he had stared deeply into her, stating that if she wished her secret to be kept safe, she would do well to keep this one hidden.

And that was all. Nothing. No one had spoken about it since. It wasn't too long ago since it happened, Dabiene of course losing track of time with all the work and study that needed to be done. And perhaps that was another reason the old man kept her busy. To keep her from asking questions about the incident. Clever man no doubt, since it worked like a charm.

Cursing quietly in her mind she then started to pace around her room, dropping the paper in the process. She turned over the idea that popped up into her head over and over again. Saying it was foolish, but also worth discovering. This went on for several minutes before she stopped suddenly, picked up the paper and read it again.

Lowering the parchment again, her mind made up, the room bloomed and then darkened as the parchment in her hand was incinerated. All evidence of it having vanished.

"Julianos... Savos better not find out. Or I'm certainly going to 'get it'."

Last edited:

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    "Alice?"

The kind voice of Tolfdir, the College of Winterhold's alteration teacher and teacher for the new students, gently reached Alice Psyrakon's ears, bringing her out of the warm oblivion of sleep. She was curled up in bed in the far left corner of her little dorm room, laying on her side and facing the stone wall. She heard Tolfdir but she didn't move. She was far too comfortable for that. Her bed was lined with soft flannel sheets and she was covered up by the top sheet and two warm quilts while cuddling a well-maintained stuffed rabbit she'd had since she was six. She was dressed in warm fleece footy pajamas, white with black skulls and her head was resting on two soft, deep feather pillows with flannel casings. She was completely cozy. She also had another nightmare, the second one this week, and this time it twisted images of her mother's death and the current civil war into a terrifying phantasmagoria of memories and pain. She just wanted to stay in bed.

"Alice my dear? It's time to wake up."

She stirred, then turned over onto her back with a gentle moan and looked up at Tolfdir from under her protective cocoon of blankets. She was groggy and confused at first but soon realized who this was.

"Mmmm...Tolfdir? What time is it? Where's Mirabelle?"

"Why it's eight o'clock my dear. Time for our morning appointment. Mirabelle tried to get you up half an hour ago but she just couldn't rouse you, so she let you sleep a little longer and sent me to wake you up instead. She's downstairs getting you some breakfast."

Mirabelle Irvine was responsible for the College's day-to-day operations and for introducing new students to College life. Together she and Tolfdir took care of the new students but Alice required special care. She was at the College for psychiatric as well as academic reasons and she was young enough to where she needed a caretaker. Alice's father had arranged for Mirabelle to take care of her and the Breton woman had taken to the role with great enthusiasm. Alice had only been at the College for five days and already she had a wake up time of seven-thirty, three mealtimes at eight, noon and seven with a snack in the middle, a bedtime of ten thirty and a ready-for-bed time of seven thirty. That meant she was bathed, in her footy pajamas and done with spellcasting so she could wind down. All of this was to make sure Alice got enough food, rest and relaxation to stay healthy and Mirabelle really was very kind to her but the woman didn't bend on anything. Twice she had caught Alice up reading past her bedtime and used a frost spell to blow out both her candles. When Alice casted a magelight to continue, Mirabelle immediately countered it. When Alice tried to explain she was on the last page of the chapter and only needed another minute Mirabelle explained that her book would be here tomorrow and she could pick up right where she left off, then told her to put it away and go to sleep. Not even Alice's mother had been that strict and this was a woman who slapped your arse with a wooden spoon at the merest hint of backtalk.

This was why Alice was having trouble processing why her new matron had decided to be lenient today. "Really? I don't even remember her getting me up. Why did she let me sleep in? She's never bent on anything. I'm sorry you had to get me up sir. I don't mean to be a bother, I really don't, but I didn't sleep well. I had another nightmare."

"Oh, it's quite all right child. You've had a harrowing year and the fact you're still breathing, much less young and beautiful, is a testament to your fortitude and strength of character. Mirabelle understands that and considering what you're having to cope with she felt you deserved a little more rest. She said she heard you thrashing last night and stayed up with you until you fell asleep. Can you tell me what happened?"

Alice sat up in bed, crossed her legs under her covers and looked at Tolfdir. "I had another nightmare. Not like the first. It started like the first, with my mother lying in the snow in a pool of blood and the Thalmor soldiers laughing at me as I try to heal her. But after that it bled into images of the war. Old battles, men I couldn't save, men I had to kill because they were too far gone to heal. Mirabelle must have heard me. She came into my room and saw me sobbing. She sat down on my bed next to me and we talked for maybe twenty minutes. Then I fell back asleep and she tucked me in."

"Did that help?"

"Yeah. I guess it helped. I wanted my dad, Carlotta would have done in a pinch, but Mirabelle just isn't the same. She put her arm around me and stroked my hair and did all the right things to calm me down but it just felt kind of strange considering she's this uptight matron so much of the day and my nan for the rest of it. Having her try to be a loving mother figure just seems...I don't know exactly...Inconsistent?"

"I can see how you feel that way." Tolfdir said, nodding his head in understanding. "She acted in a way outside her norm for you and you found that a little confusing. But you've got to keep in mind Alice that Mirabelle is a very busy woman and she's under a lot of stress. She can't always show how much she cares about you, only how seriously she takes your care and safety, but I know her well enough to know that she does care for you. Last night she was able to show it. After all, would she not have let you calm yourself down and not bothered with comforting you if she didn't care?"

"Well...yes...I suppose you're right. I suppose I should thank her when she comes in."

"I think that would be very nice of you. I promise it would brighten her day."

Alice smiled at that thought. Mirabelle worked so hard and she never smiled. It would be nice to see her do so. But she couldn't help thinking of all the extra work she herself must give her. Sometimes Alice felt like a burden and this was one of those mornings.

"Tolfdir?"

"Yes?"

"I'm sorry for causing so much trouble."

Tolfdir became visibly concerned at this and gave Alice a look of pity. "What? Whatever do you mean child?"

"The constant care, the nightmares, making sure I don't do anything to hurt myself, the fact that I'm the only one with a roommate? No wonder I hardly ever see Brylinna when she's not asleep across from me. I'd want to avoid me too."

Tolfdir moved from his chair and sat down on Alice's bed, putting a warm hand on her shoulder. "Alice, I've been here for over fifty years. I've seen hundreds of students. Some good, some not-so-good. They've had all sort of problems to deal with and I've had to help them all in some way. I promise you young lady that your problems are not as unique as you feel they are. Your mind is heavily burdened and you're only now letting yourself catch up with it. That takes time but we are all here to help you. It's our job to help you. And as I've gotten to know you over the past few days I can say with certainty that you're doing very well. Mirabelle and I look after all the new students, not just you, and you give us something to look forward to every day. Your nightmares will take care of themselves in time and we will always help you through them. As for safety you're really not being treated any differently than any new student. I promise you that. And Brylinna's been away because she's had some very intense experiments of late, not because of anything to do with you. In fact child it was her idea to room with you. She only arrive two weeks before you did and the poor thing's felt lonely every since she got here. She's actually taken quite a liking to you. You, Alice Psyrakon, couldn't be in a better place."

"Do you really mean all that?" Alice said, smiling at the kind old man who already seemed like a grandfather to her.

"Every word of it." He said, smiling back.

Alice got out from under her covers, scooted beside Tolfdir and hugged him. He happily accepted her and held her protectively. "Thanks Tolfdir. I needed to hear that."

"You're quite welcome child." He said, chuckling slightly at the girl giving him such a heartfelt hug. "Now, I suggest you get dressed and ready for the day. If I'm not mistaken, you have Basic Magic at nine o'clock and I know the teacher always loves to see your smiling face ready to learn. I believe I'm going to finish up early magical history today. Can I count on you to be there?"

"Yes sir." Alice said with pride. All of her classes so far had been easy and Tolfdir's lecture-based course wasn't anything she didn't already know but she loved his enthusiasm for the material. "I'll be there sir."

"I'm glad to hear that my dear. I'll just..." The door opened and Mirabelle entered with a tray of food. Sausage, eggs, biscuits and a glass of milk. "Ah, good morning Mirabelle. Alice and I were just finishing up our appointment."

"I'm glad to hear that Tolfdir." Mirabelle said, her usual serious manner bringing Alice to obedience. "I'm sure Alice told you about our late night tarry. How do you feel this morning child?"

"I'm better ma'am." Alice said, instinctively putting her knees together and feet apart and folding her hands into her lap, showing the Master Wizard that she had the girl's full attention. "In fact I feel good today. Thank you for letting me sleep in today. And for comforting me last night."

"You're very welcome." Mirabelle said, showing Alice a flash of a smile before returning to her serious face. "Don't get used to it though. You needed my help to release your feelings but I won't be able to stay up with you every time your sleep is troubled. You're going to have to learn to cope with your own dreams and visions. It's the only way you'll be able to control them. Do you understand?"

"yes ma'am, of course ma'am." Alice said, nodding her head. "You're not my mother and I don't expect you to be."

"Then we'll have no problems. All the same, come get me if you need something. It doesn't matter when it is. I'm serious about that. Now, as I understand it you have a class to go to in forty-five minutes. Eat up while your breakfast is hot and then get dressed and ready. I expect you to be on time."

"Yea ma'am. I will ma'am."

"I'll leave you to it then. Have a good morning Alice."

"Have a good morning ma'am. I'll see you later."

Mirabelle and Tolfdir left Alice to eat and change. After half an hour she was ready to go. She had made herself up with foundation, blush and black eyeliner and dressed into her novice College robes with a pair of white two-piece long underwear underneath to keep the cold out and tall fur boots to keep her feet warm. She pocketed her gloves for later as her glass was just downstairs. As she pulled her hood up and pulled tight and made sure her hair was contained she went under her pillows to get her steel dagger. She never went or slept anywhere without it and old habits died hard. However, there was something else under her pillows. Something she did not expect and was genuinely surprised to see.

A letter, sealed and addressed to her in neat cursive was under her dagger. It wasn't in Mirabelle's or Tolfdir's handwriting and they would have had to move her head while she was sleeping to get it there, which did not happen. So where did it come from? Intrigued, she opened the letter and read it over. The audacity of what it was planning almost made her drop it. Sneaking out of the College? Lying to the staff? Going off on some wild-eyed adventure to some Dwemer ruins? She knew she had to report this to Mirabelle at once. But something made her hesitate. She remembered hearing talk about a former professor, Arniel Gane, who worked with Dwemer artifact and had mysteriously disappeared one day. He had just vanished out of thin air, never to be seen again. When Alice asked Mirabelle about it she was evasive and told her not to pursue the matter. That it wasn't anything she needed to know. Tolfdir wasn't any more help, simply telling her not to worry about it and that it was nothing she needed to be concerned about. Not even her classmates would tell her anything. Brylinna didn't know anything, Onmund was too careful to be asking questions like that and J'Zargo was just...J'Zargo. Something was going on here and no one seemed to know or want to know anything about it. That made Alice smell a rat.

This letter, audacious as it may be, was her best chance at solving this mystery and she intended to solve it. But she needed to take care of the evidence first. Burning the letter or incinerating it with lightning would make too much noise and would be messy so Alice folded the letter back up and used a simple heat spell to soften the wax and an ice spell to reseal it. She then put it back under her pillow exactly as she had found it. If someone came across it no one would know it had been tampered with and if Mirabelle showed it to Alice she could simply play dumb. In the meantime she would continue her studies and then, two days from now, she would meet this mysterious contact and see where this trail led.

This day was getting interesting.

Wolfbane

Why change the past when you can own this day?
    A groggy hand waved at the intruding sunlight like a troublesome fly, as if it would help in the slightest. This had had gone on for some time before he eventually got up and noticed a piece of paper on his desk. Jaden extended a defended arm and went to read it

"Let's see... Arniel Gane gone missing.... Swept under the rug... Adventure...riches,glory and all that fun stuff. Well, I'm in. It's better than right now, that's for certain," he messed his short hair up and proceeded to get dressed. A long yawn exited his mouth as the morning fatigue exited his body.

Everything about mornings irritated him; the ever intrusive morning light prying it's way through any holes or opening just so it could beam down in your face. The fact of being awake before anyone else and just sitting or studying before the classes even began. Pondering still about the note he made his way to the study hall to review the history, functionality and other uses of wards. The only restoration spells he knows are heal, heal others and self ward; all apprentice level. The only school he is talented in is Destruction, where he is an expert with ice. Where there's a boon there's a folly; his just happens to be in the same school of his strength;flames and anything inferno.

It had been some time before he finally went to his first lecture. The actual class was simple enough so he didn't have to stay after and he finally went to his second class where he spotted his very best friend, Una. She was beautiful; the height and angelic face of a woman but the skin tone of a Bosmer as well as pointed ears. At a glance you couldn't tell she was half wood elf unless you asked directly. Jaden himself was a half breed as well; his mother is a Breton and his father a Nord. How did a Nord fall in love with a magic slinging Breton, you might ask? The answer is loved love knows no colors or creeds, no boarders or ways of killing your opponent. His father believed the magic could be the ultimate weapon of good and evil.

Jaden was stronger and taller than a Breton but retained some of the subtle features of a breton as well as the in born capacity for magic. His arms and chest were that of his country men thus he has a decent sword arm. Along with his sword training from his father he had two methods of attacking.

Finally finished with staring at his best friend, he made a small ice cube and ran it down her neck before simply throwing it over his shoulder, "Hey Una. How'd you sleep? Are you as lost as I am in this?" He is referring to the illusion course and the goal of today's class. She's the only one that he can comfortably ask for help and simply just talk to. Most of the other students aren't too interesting save for a couple.

"I woke up this curious letter this morning. I wonder how it could be from?" he smiled coyly as he passed it subtly over to her, waiting to gauge her reaction.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    Una's brow creased as she concentrated on her spell. Illusion seemed to be the one discipline she really struggled to master. In her two years at the College she had only managed to conquer a Calm spell and it was novice level at best. It frustrated her to no end at how elusive Illusion spells seemed to be for her. Now Conjuration, that was whole other story. She was quite proud of her skills in summoning up a bound Daedric bow. Even though holding the daemonic artefact frightened her, she could not deny the feelings of euphoria that ran through her when she wielded the powerful bow.
    Drevis Neloren, a highly skilled Illusion Mage was helping a student on the other side of the Hall of the Elements. Una glared at his back once again. He had ordered her to practice a Fury spell, which she found quite pointless and annoying. She was never going to use it. The very thought of it appalled her. The trouble with practising a spell such as fury, was the fact that she needed a live subject to use it on. The reluctant volunteer today was J'zargo. Una had to hit him with a Fury spell and them immediately use calm on him, so that he didn't attack everything in sight. Not that she needed to. Her Fury spell was abysmal.

"You need to put more feeling into it, yes?" the Khajiit offered unhelpfully.
    "Keep still J'zargo!" she growled through clenched teeth. She let the spell go and blew out an explosive breath. The Khajiit wandered off, chuckling under his breath. Damned know-it-all, she sniffed indignantly. She suddenly let out a loud undignified gasp as ice ran down her neck. Spinning around, she almost hit the offender before he spoke.

"Hey Una. How'd you sleep? Are you as lost as I am in this?" Jaden said lightly, as he usually did. She almost retorted angrily, but the way he grinned at her, softened her immediately. They had been friends since the moment she had joined the College. Jaden had been there for her when she had moments of doubt, missed her father and her home. She had told him things that no other person knew. He was really the only family she had. She noticed that his hair was it's usual mess and she itched to run her fingers through it. She was about to reply when he brought forward a familiar looking piece of parchment.

"I woke up to this curious letter this morning. I wonder who it could be from?" He whispered, smiling coyly. Una's eyes widened and she pushed the letter back to him, reaching inside his robes and crumpling the parchment into the inside pocket. She pretended not to notice how warm it was inside there. She looked about, but no-one else was watching them.

"By Y'ffre! Put that away!" She scolded. "Of course it's from me. We discussed it last night" she removed her hands and stepped back, suddenly embarrassed. "I assume you are coming then, given your input last night?" She swallowed nervously. Even though she knew that Jaden would be all for the journey, she was not sure of the other two. She would not even know until two nights from now.

Wolfbane

The effect of the ice cube made his best friend let a unflattering gasp as the chills were sent through her body. She began to spin on her heel with a balled up fist before she stopped to look at the sheet of crisp paper that she wrote the night before,

"By Y'ffre! Put that away!" She snapped as she stuffed her hand in his pockets as if it was her own robe.

"Someone is happy to see me!"
    He raised an eyebrow as he casually looked down at Una's hand in his robe pocket. The two were now face to face, leaving one another to breath the other in. Jaden had eyes that would melt your heart just as they'd look through you. Una played with her feet as they continued to gaze at one other before Jaden warmly smiled and grabbed her hidden hand, "are you going to stick the other hand in and claim the robe as your own or we going to discuss the plan further?"He smiled as she backed up and withdrew her hand from his warm robe pocket.

"Of course it's from me. We discussed it last night," she suddenly stepped back and blushed, making her face red like a fresh red apple just fallen from a tree,"I assume you are coming then,given your input last night?" She swallowed down her nerves despite that she knew that he would be willing to go. The other two students are the ones she should we worried about. If they provided the letter as some sort of evidence of students getting either too curious or putting the school in a potential dangerous situation would mean suspension for the allotted time given or being expelled for good. Was it worth either of those? To Una and Jaden it was very much worth it. Mages need to stick together and look out for one another regardless of some secret underlying agenda. Not only that but the chance for adventure while under the always watching and unwavering eye of the professors was too good to pass up. What secrets might they find,what will they find out about themselves and will they all come back? These are the questions that he's chomping at the bit over.

"For you? Anything. I just wanted to see you as soon as I had the chance,"
    he gave a warm smile and brushed her hair behind her ear as the instructor began to go around and help the other students.

Daryl Dixon

Absentee
    As he finished up his last alteration based class for the day Henry gauged the room. There were no secrets in Tolfdir's wrinkled ridges, but he stared blankly at him anyway. "Are you alright, Henry?" The friendly mage said. Snapping back to reality he quickly answered his teacher. "Yes, sorry master Tolfdir, I was just wondering on Arniel Gane. The way everyone just forgets.."

"It's quite alright," he said, reassuring his pupil. "I assure you it has not been forgotten. It's best you focus on your studies for now. Have you mastered the transmute spell yet? I know you've been working hard on that one."

"Not quite, I accidentally turned iron into rubber last time... That was some gold wasted.."

Tolfdir let out a warm chuckle. "Keep trying and you'll get it eventually. Do you have any questions? I'm free for another half hour if you'd like some help?"

"It's okay sir, I've almost got it. And while I do appreciate the offer, I've been terribly exhausted lately and I think I need to hit the sack early tonight."

"Yes, a rested mind could be just what you need. I'll see you tomorrow then."

"Good day, sir."

Henry made his way to his room in the hall of attainment. He didn't even bother undressing into pajamas, he just crashed out on his bed. He awoke rather early in the AM's, having an extremely vivid nightmare. He awoke with a jump as he sprung to his feet which, due to him rising too quickly, caused dizziness and caused him to make a large ruckus as he hit the wall, his cupboard and knocked down the glassed painting of his brother. Picking it up he realized the glass was cracked. He was upset, but was hoping Tolfdir could fix it with alteration magic. Hoping he didn't wake anyone, he picked up various other items that had been knocked over before sitting back down on his bed. He had dreamed that he had killed his brother, burning him alive and eating his body limb by limb. The cries were enough to make him teary when he awoke, but he pushed past it and regained his composure. The idea was preposterous, he would never do such an unspeakable act and he wasn't nearby when it happened. Not only that but the limbs were later found.

It was a horrible thing to see, though, and he regrets that he wasn't there. Laying down and glancing at the photograph once more he realized a small slip of paper was under it. He must have just placed the photo there when it dropped without realizing due to how groggy he felt. Being curious, he picked it up and read it. It was very concerning. It sounded one of his sisters schemes. An apprentice was going to get themselves in trouble, but to be fair, the way the disappearance was handled has been far too suspicious. Before deciding whether or not he would go to the meet up point he tried to organize a list of suspects. Dabiene was a wild card, as he wasn't all too familiar with her. But still, she seemed too studious to be involved in such a hiatus. He ruled her out.

Alice was far too new to the college and much too timid. She was ruled out.

Jaden seemed a likely, the lad had always been friendly and it just didn't sit right with either him or Henry what little effort seemed to be made to find Arniel. He remembers watching Jaden get shut down when asking about Arniel. It could've been him.

Henry wasn't sure about Una. She was stubborn, but despite this had rightfully earned Henry's respect. He had watched her with her bound bow and she rivaled many of the archers he had been raised around. He didn't know if she was involved.

The other apprentices were ruled out for various different reasons, although J'zargo wasn't. He was very strange and this could most definitely be his doing. Deciding it was too much to bother with now he put the note in his boot that lie at his bedside and went back to sleep.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Class was easy. So easy that Alice was barely paying attention. Tolfdir was lecturing about the Psijic Order and their importance in studying magic for the Empire, and their mysterious disappearance over a hundred years ago. Alice had read the material yesterday afternoon but it wasn't nearly as interesting as it should have been and it was so dry that she fell asleep for half an hour. Tolfdir, hard as he tried, wasn't making things any more interesting and when Alice looked down at her parchment all she had written were two lines of introductory notes and an incomplete drawing of a black cat. She gave a small sigh at her own wavering attention but had to admit the cat was more interesting than the history of Order Master Harel lll of Summerset Isle. The cat was a new member of the College like her, a stray she and her father had found on their way here. The College was able to nurse it back to health and let it stay as a mouse-chaser. After finding out it was a "her" Alice decided to name her Dinnah and offered to feed and take care of her while they were both at the College. Dinnah was in bad shape when she was found but she clearly had a former owner. She was very well adjusted to people, hadn't scratched any furniture yet and knew how to use the sandbox Alice had put out for her. She was also very friendly and had gotten everyone in the College to pet her at least once. Sometimes forcefully. Alice wasn't sure where she was at the moment but knew she was around somewhere.

"Miss Psyrakon? Would you be so kind as to join us here on Nirn?" Tolfdir asked her. This jerked Alice out of her own thoughts and back to reality with a small flash of embarrassment.

"I-I'm sorry sir! I guess I'm a little distracted today. What was the question?"

"Which spell did the Psijics invent to help monitor their animal experiments and when did they share it with the rest of Tamriel?"

"The spell the Psijics invented to help monitor their animal experiments was detect life and they decided to share it with the rest of Tamriel in the year 224 of the Second Era. The Dunmer sorcerer Casamir Dres was the first to bring it forth from the Isle of Artaeum and share it with the rest of his brethren in Morrowind and from there it spread across the Empire."

"Very good Alice! You have an excellent grasp of Mudas' reading and I see you even read ahead into the next chapter. If you'll indulge me, did you happen to take notes during your reading? I'd like to make a copy of them for the rest of the class as our understanding seems to be somewhat lacking."

"Nnnno, I'm sorry sir. I'm afraid I didn't take any notes. Honestly I barely read the chapter. I only skimmed it over and didn't even realize I was into the next chapter until I was halfway through. It was just a little boring sir."

"That's quite alright my dear. I was just under the impression that you've written something down considering your depth of knowledge. You really do have a brilliant mind."

"Umm...thank you sir." Alice said, embarrassed at being singled out but too shy to complain.

"Bootlicker..." A certain Khajiit muttered under his breath.

"Did you say something J'Zargo?" Tolfdir asked, his tone instantly shifting from praising to stern.

"Of course not sir." J'Zargo said with false modesty. "J'Zargo was only reviewing his notes so as to understand the lessons you have so eloquently taught us."

"I most certainly doubt that young man. I believe you called Miss Psyrakon here a bootlicker. Would you care to qualify that statement?" The old wizard was boring holes into the Khajiit and his ears wilted with embarrassment.

He sighed, knowing he'd been caught, and decided to speak up. "Very well sir. Yes, this one did call Alice a bootlicker but it is not unjustified. She has been here only one week and already she excels at everything J'Zargo has witnessed. She is on excellent terms with the College staff, including you yourself, and spends a great deal of time with the Master Wizard. Yet J'Zargo has been here for two weeks and still he is held back by those who do not appreciate his gift in the art of magic. Particularly that of flame cloak scrolls. J'Zargo therefore concludes, by sound logic, that Alice is a bootlicker and J'Zargo is being treated differently.

"Are you quite finished?" Tolfdir asked, annoyed at the interruption.

"Quite so sir." J'Zargo said, flashing his sharp teeth.

"Good. Then you're ready to listen. No one in this College is treated preferentially and calling another student a bootlicker is very unkind. All of you should know that by now. Miss Psyrakon is a new and brilliant student who has earned my respect because she has put the work in to earn it, something you my boy should take more note of. And the time Alice spends with the Master Wizard is not your concern, or mine. It's theirs. So if you, or anyone else, give Alice difficulty, or if you do it to anyone else for that matter I will hear about it. And there are a great many magika pools that need cleaning. Why don't you start this afternoon J'Zargo? We'll see how much you get done in two days."

"What?! But sir, I..."

"Would you prefer a week?" Tolfdir said threateningly.

"No. No of course not. Two days will do sir. J'Zargo will obey."

"A wise decision my boy." He looked over some notes for a moment, then turned back to the class. "Well, I think that's enough for today. Let's all meet back here Fredas and we'll discuss chapter two of The History of the Psijic Order. That gives you two days to do the reading and don't forget! Your practical exam for lesser wards is next week so be sure to practice your magic! Have a good day everyone!"

The class got up and started to file out into the Hall of Attainment. There were ten students in all, about half of which Alice recognized but none of which she'd really talked to. She was excited to talk to Brylinna once Basic Conjuration let out. She and Alice had both it and Basic Magic at alternating periods and they were next door to each other so they could meet after their first class and talk about what to expect for the other. Tolfdir had let them out about fifteen minutes early so there was still some time to kill. She decided to go to Tolfdir and thank him for helping her out with J'Zargo.

"Excuse me, Tolfdir?" She said as he was resetting his books for the next class.

"Hello there my dear." He said smiling. "I'm sorry about J'Zargo's behavior. I do hope you weren't too embarrassed.

"No sir, I wasn't, and thank you for your praise today but I have to say...I felt a little singled out. I think that was what put J'Zargo on rather than my study habits."

Tolfdir sighed, as if realizing what he'd done. "You're absolutely right my dear. I'm sorry about that and I didn't mean to embarrass you. I suppose I was so impressed with you that I simply lost my head a little. I do hope you can forgive me."

"Oh of course I can forgive you sir! That's no problem." Alice said with a small chuckle. "I'm just not used to so much praise is all. Really, I appreciate it. Just, maybe do it in private from now on?"

"Consider it done." He said with a warm smile.

"Thank you sir." Alice said. She put her bag down and the two hugged. It made them both feel better and by that time it was about time for class to be regularly over. Alice said her farewell and headed off to Conjuration.

Two hours later she wished she hadn't. After a perfectly bewildering lesson on soul gems and an abysmal attempt to successfully cast a soul trap on a spectral rabbit Alice was quite certain that conjuration was not for her. It just didn't flow with her and she couldn't understand why. Everything else had been easy for her. Restoration: easy. Alteration: Simple enough. Enchanting: She'd been doing certain enchantments for years and already knew half the spells. Destruction: Cathartic. Illusion: Beautiful bliss. Illusion magic was the one school she excelled at and the one she'd studied most at the Arcane University back in Cyrodiil. The Civil War had sharpened the spells she knew to a razor's edge and she had done so well she'd been moved up to an adept class with the more advanced students. They had just gotten out and most of them were heading to lunch. Alice joined them in the upper floor of the Hall of the Elements and after grabbing a simple lunch of vegetable soup and bread she looked around for Brylinna. She and Alice were supposed to have lunch together but she was nowhere to be seen. For the whole morning she was nowhere to be seen. Where could she possibly be?

Alice looked around fro somewhere else to sit. Most of the tables were full and when she saw a spot the table's occupants either told her it was taken or simply ignored her. The only table she hadn't tried was one occupied by a tall Breton and an equally tall half-elf. A bosmer/nord mix from the looks of her. It looked like they had just sat down and Alice recognized them from her illusion class they had just gotten out of. She figured it was a good time to introduce herself so she walked over to their left side, opposite the empty seats at the table and waited for a break in their conversation to speak up.

"Excuse me?" She said timidly, nervous about making new friends without her only one so far. "Would you two mind if I sat here? Everywhere else is full and I think you're both in my illusion class? I-it was my first day today. I-I was just moved up from the novice levels..." She realized she was starting to mumble. "Uh...never mind me. I can find somewhere else to sit if you don't want me here."

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    Lunch time came and Una breathed a sigh of relief as she and Jaden sat down at a far table to eat. They didn't talk much, just sat in their usual companionable silence. Una's appetite was almost non-existent as she picked at her food. Jaden, on the other hand dug in, apparently not affected by their fast looming rendezvous with the other two students. She was just about to ask Jaden if he had packed yet when the new girl approached their table.

"Excuse me?" She asked with an air of nervousness about her "Would you two mind if I sat here? Everywhere else is full and I think you're both in my illusion class? I-it was my first day today. I-I was just moved up from the novice levels..." Una was more surprised than anything. She was part panicked and part delighted, and so just sat there, her mouth moving but nothing coming out of it. She looked at Jaden and raised an eyebrow, silently urging him to say something.

"Uh...never mind me. I can find somewhere else to sit if you don't want me here." The girl sounded so crestfallen and so Una nudged Jaden hard in the ribs.

Wolfbane

Manners around people he cared for and was comfortable were thrown out the window seeing as how he was stuffing his face with food per usual. The two were close enough to share a relaxing silence between them, not having to talk to fill the peace in. Una began to open her mouth before he heard a sweet but timid voice coming from his right. He looked up and saw that the voice was connected to a girl, no more than 18. At least that's the age he puts her at. She has to be at least that to be a student so logically that would be a good guess.

"Excuse me? Would you two mind if I sat here? Everywhere else is full and I think you're both in my illusion class? I-it was my first day today. I-I just moved up from the novice levels," her face flushed red and her eyes darted back to the lower right. Jaden met the eyes of Una who was glaring at him. He knew what she was trying to say and nodded as he began to swallow his food slowly as to not choke. She always did have a way of getting her point across without a word and only with a single glare;comes from the Nord in her. His father was the same way.

The quiet girl let an awkward breath out before beginning once more,"Uh... nevermind me. I can find somewhere else to sit if you don't want me here." The tone in her voice fell like a flower blossom which of course affected Una making her jab him in the ribs. Jaden let out a huff and was about to shoot his companion with a shock spell if not for the innocent look in her eye asking him to not be his cynical self. He never did like people for the most part and usually it shows by the dry nature of his jokes or comments. However Una was asking him and this girl seemed nice enough so he figured he'll at least try.

"Yeah, I think I remember seeing you in class. This table is plenty free so please, have a seat." He waved a welcoming hand to the new comer as he tried his best not so sound like the usual dry way, "I'm Jaden and this is Una. Don't mind her, she's just... tired." a mention of the note almost slipped out of his mouth before he caught it on the tip of his tongue, "What's your name by the way?"

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    "Thanks." Alice said with a small smile, happy for the acceptance. It was probably out of pity for her but it was also the first bit of her day that had gone right so she was thankful. She sat down after she put her tray down and stirred her soup to cool it. It looked like pretty good soup, with carrots, green beans, corn, cabbage and turnips in a tomato broth and what smelled like pepper and fresh garlic. The first bite was too hot but it was delicious. She couldn't help but smile as the warm vegetable slurry moved down her throat, warming up her body. "This is really good. I'll have to find whoever made that pot over there and thank them. It's nice to meet you both, my name's Alice. Alice Psyrakon." She put her spoon down and started tearing off a piece of bread. "I'm brand new here but I'm sure you've seen me around. The way Master Wizard Mirabelle's been looking after me like a mother duck I'm sure I've been hard to ignore. Not to mention all the classrooms my cat's decided to visit that I've had to remove her from." She couldn't help but smile at the thought of Dinnah jumping onto a teachers' desk right in the middle of the lecture. The last one happened during Trainer Collete's restoration class just yesterday as one of her students, an older Breton woman whom Alice thought was named Dabiene, was giving a presentation. "You havn't seen her around have you? She's gone missing again. I should really find a bell for her."

She rubbed her right hand under her hood to adjust her hair. The hood's fur lining stuck to her hair after extended use and started to itch her scalp. She wasn't used to having her head covered all the time but it was just too cold not to. "I understand how tired you can be Una. Some of my classes really take it out of me. Especially conjuration. I can barely conjure small household items let alone cast a soul trap spell. I wish I could conjure up a warm bed so I could curl up in it wherever I go. I still can't believe how cold it is here! My robes, boots and hood are completely fur lined and I still have to wear long underwear every day to keep warm. I've had to get four pairs since I got here. I'm wearing a pair under my robes now and they keep me comfy but it's just kind of bothersome to bother with you know? And I've got my hood up all the time so my hair starts to stick to the fur. That's why I just rubbed my hand under my hood just now to adjust it. Does that ever happen to you guys? Neither of you are wearing hoods and Una your hair's longer than mine."

She paused and realized she was rambling.

"I'm sorry about rambling. I've just been really nervous and uncomfortable about being here...scared really...thanks to a lot of issues I'm here to work through. I ramble when I'm nervous and really shy when I'm in a new situation. Umm...sorry."
    She stopped talking to let them get a word in.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    Una blinked as the girl, who she already knew was named Alice, started to speak rapidly. She wasn't quite sure if she needed to acknowledge what the girl was saying at any stage, so instead just nodded occasionally. She glanced at Jaden and almost laughed out loud at the look on his face. She knew he wasn't particularly sociable. Alice seemed to pause for a breath and so Una took the opportunity to spoon in another mouthful of soup. But then looked up as the girl continued.

"I'm sorry about rambling. I've just been really nervous and uncomfortable about being here...scared really...thanks to a lot of issues I'm here to work through. I ramble when I'm nervous and really shy when I'm in a new situation. Umm...sorry."

"That's alright Alice" Una tried to reassure the girl as the glanced at Jaden again, who seemed to be intent on his soup. "I'm sure all of us were nervous when we first arrived here" She smiled. "But you shouldn't be uncomfortable or scared." she hesitated before saying "Is there something we can help you with?" She was starting to doubt her picking Alice as one of the members of their little expedition. The girl seemed very fragile and obviously had some issues to work out. But then, given her state, was this the right place for her to be? Una wondered if Alice would be better with them anyway. Somewhere with less people. A tight knit group to keep an eye on her. Una was of two minds. She wasn't expecting to be someone's babysitter. They were, after all going to be exploring some pretty dangerous places.

Wolfbane

The words began to pour out of the girl's mouth like a waterfall down a cliff. The more she talked the harder Jaden had to bite his tongue. Una on the other hand was trying her damndest to stop herself from bursting out laughing at him struggling to not go off on the new girl. He tried his best to focus on his soup but he couldn't handle it anymore; he slammed his head on the table before flicking soup on the poor girl.

But the gods for once have blessed him by not only making Alice breathe and block the lingual waterfall but also allowing Una to answer and avoiding destroying this girl's outreach.

"I'm sorry about rambling... I've just been really nervous and uncomfortable about being here... scared really... thanks to a lot of issues I'm here to work though. I ramble when I'm nervous and I'm really shy in a new situation. Um...sorry."

"That's alright Alice." Una made a quick glance at Jaden who had a spoonful of soup already in his mouth.

"I'm sure all of us were nervous when we first arrived here." Una flashed the smile he always adored. "But you shouldn't be uncomfortable or scared."

He slowly released his teeth from his tongue and returned to his calm demeanor. He looked up to his comrade who is trying her damndest not to burst out laughing 'Una, you're an angel. There was a hesitation in her voice before continuing,

"Is there something I can help you with?"

"Thats a broad question, isn't it?" Jaden uttered under his breath so only Una can hear and once she did she stepped on his foot making him now shoot an a tiny ice ball at her. Maybe in some way this would let the new girl feel more safe and secure. These things happen...

Dabiene Caristiana

It seemed quite a while before Dabiene broke out of her deep thinking. If one were to walk into her room, one might think she was stuck in a trance. Truthfully, she was coming up with a plan on how she could possibly accompany the person or persons responsible and see what they were really up to, without possibly endangering any of the crew due to her little... 'problem'.

While it was true that most with her condition could control it to some degree, Dabiene had a higher risk of transforming against her will. Which was very inconvenient to say the least. She was rather tired of sneaking off at the oddest of times, sometimes even during class, borderline sprinting down the halls and stairs, and dashing down into the Midden where the Archmage had so graciously gave her a safe haven when she was 'sick'.

If you could call a could moldy cell with silver chains and cuffs only unlocked via a special spell a "safe haven".

Still, there were times where she could suppress it. However those were times when the full moon was not present. And that was another problem she had to figure out.

That blasted moon.

She knew it had to be a student that was so curious about Arniel. And it had to be other students that were possibly invited to go along with this crazy idea. Students were, after all, a tad reckless and too inquisitive for their own good. Even if it WAS encouraged at the College.

So how on Nirn was she going to mascarade as a completely normal... well, somewhat normal student, when she had that blasted moon to deal with?

"Apparently, I need to harass Urag." With a spin of her heel, the Breton marched out of her room, and out of the dormitories, the doors closing themselves as she sped off between them.

-------------------------------------

"What do you mean, you have nothing?!" Dabiene hissed at the resident paranoid orc librarian.

"Like I told you last time. And the time before that. I. Don't. Have. Anything. The same answer I gave you for the past few months now. And you know how Archmage Aren feels about this. Even if I could find the books you were looking for, I'd probably get skinned alive for it." Urag crossed his arms, defiant of the scorned Breton.

"What is his problem? I thought he was helping! Why would he ban those kind of books? Surely students would also be curious?"

This had been going on for a few minutes, talking in deep voices and hushed tons. Only to have the conversation end up no where.

"It's not like we don't have any books in regards to what your uh... Shall we say... problems are. There are a few around here. But what you're looking for specifically? No. And don't ask again." the orc rumbled out.

Dabiene threw her hands up in the air in frustration. Great. A dead end. And it was all Aren's damned fault.

Putting her head in her hands, she groaned softly. "It's like the bastard wants me to suffer.." she whispered softly.

Sighing heavily the orc librarian sat heavily in the chair behind the grand desk. "Look," he said softly as an orc ever could, "He's not out to cause pain. If anything, he's probably working on it himself. And not wanting you to keep your hopes up. He probably wants to study things hands on and get everything right before he goes to ya. I'm sure he means well." Urag flashed a rare smile at her before getting up again, back to organizing some new books that had just came by to the College.

Sighing, Dabiene turned around and walked down to the Hall of the Elements. She was getting rather peckish..

-----------------------------------

As the woman walked up the stairs, contemplating how the next few days would play out, she heard a few of the new students chatting. Looking toward the chatter she saw Jaden, Una... and... Alice? Was that her name? Yes, that was it. Shy girl, though she herself could very much relate to that...

"I'm sorry about rambling... I've just been really nervous and uncomfortable about being here... scared really... thanks to a lot of issues I'm here to work though. I ramble when I'm nervous and I'm really shy in a new situation. Um...sorry."

'Seems to be a bit of a rambler indeed. Social awkwardness..' the Breton then looked at the reactions of the other two, 'Followed by annoyance and patience', she observed Jaden and Una respectively. Although Una seemed to be amused by the situation. 'Well then, two of them seem to not be very social, and the other is making small talk. This should be interesting.'

Before she could join them however, Mirabelle seemed keen to keep her busy.

"Dabiene. I need to talk to you. Now." the unmistakable strict voice rang out throughout the hall.

Growling she spoon around, arms crossed and scowl firmly in place. She just wasn't having it today. "Yes? Can we please make this quick? I'm rather hungry--"

"It's not my fault you skipped breakfast again, now is it?" The Master Wizard narrow her eyes at the fellow Breton. "And enough with the attitude." She then dropped her voice level to a minimum and with a neutral tone. "Look, I know it's hard coping with it. However, don't think he doesn't know what you're up to."

"What makes you think I'm up to anything? I simply paid Urag a visit. Nothing more. The College recently added a few new books and I wished to check them out." Dabiene then glared at Mirabelle, clearly not intimidated. Her voiced deepened and a flash of silver filled her eyes before disappearing, "And don't think you understand. You never could. So stop trying."

The two stared each other off for a moment, before Mirabelle huffed. "Just, be careful." The woman finally having her two septims in, she then marches off. 'Probably to inform her boss how bad of a doggy I am.' Dabiene having growled at the thought.

"Finally." Turning around she then finds a table closes to the staircase and plops down.

"Today is not my day." The woman then rubs her temples, continuing to figure out a solution. "Damn it all!" cursing under her breath, she snatches up an apple and takes a bite, quite literally chewing and turning over new ideas. She did have a day to think it through after all.

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Jaden muttered something to Una after she offered Alice help but she couldn't make out what it was. She thought she heard something about a broad question and that made her feel a little embarrassed. It was hard enough adjusting to this cold, restrictive environment while trying to make new friends and deal with her own issues and now she felt like she was wasting their time.

"Thanks Una but...I'm okay. I just need time to get used to things here. Maybe. Having someone to talk to is nice. This is the first time I've been away from my family in...a long time." She took a bite of soup, knowing she needed help in conjuration and figuring these older students might be able to help. She was trying to work up the courage to ask them when Jaden got up as if he were about to leave. Alice was afraid Una would follow so she had to speak up.

"Wait a sec!" She blurted out, louder than she intended. She was thankful for her fur lined hood because her ears were red. "Um...Actually there is something I could use some help with. I'm struggling in conjuration and my roommate Brylinna doesn't know much more than I do. I could use some help with the basics. Particularly how to properly cast soul trap. It just doesn't seem to work for me." She looked up at Una with hopeful eyes but half-expected her to say no.

shadowkitty

Mistress of Shadows
    Jaden had stood to leave, and hovered at the table watching Una as Alice asked her about conjuration.

"Oh, sure. I guess I could show you some tricks." she answered. The girl looked so hopeful, she could hardly say no. Not now that she was counting on Alice to show up at the rendezvous place.

"I will have to look at my schedule so our classes don't clash" she continued while Jaden waited with a patience that was uncharacteristic. "We can work out when we both have some free time" she smiled at Alice then. "Don't worry about it." she concluded and got up and joined Jaden.

"Thanks for all your help" she whispered sarcastically, when out of earshot. "We need her, remember?" They left the dining room and walked back to Una's room. She looked around, checking no-one was near-by before letting Jaden and herself into her room. It was frowned upon to have a member of the opposite sex in one's room, friend or more than. She closed the door and turned to Jaden.

"Well, what do you think?" she asked nervously, knowing that Jaden didn't like the idea of having a fragile, broken kid tagging along with them. Una was now wondering herself, if she had made a very grave mistake.

Wolfbane

In his usual fashion Jaden nonchalantly got up without a word and slowly made his way with empty bowl in hand and it found itself where it came from. Just as the element he wields some people would describe him as cold and icy. Maybe he was, but to think one way and act another is one of the things that really get under his skin. Tell it like it is and always keep your eyes on your studies. Jaden was known to be as blunt as a stone and as dry as the gravel around it. Una was one of his only friends in the school and he likes it that way. Sure he could make friends with other students but he doesn't want to. To him some care for friends too much.

Jaden strolled back to the table and hovered over it patiently, not wanting to be rude to his friend by interrupting.

"Wait a sec!" Jaden slightly winced as the phrase came out louder than he was expecting.

"Um...Actually there is something I could use some help with. I'm struggling in conjuration and my roommate Brylinna doesn't know much more than I do. I could use some help with the basics. Particularly how to properly cast soul trap. It just doesn't seem to work for me."

"Oh, sure. I guess I could show you some tricks." both of the friends knew that no was not an option if they wanted her help. Not that the idea of not having this girl at his heels was a bad idea. However, that was not an option.

"I will have to look at my schedule so our classes don't clash" she continued while Jaden leaned against the closest thing he saw just in case it was going to be a repeat of her introduction "We can work out when we both have some free time" she smiled at Alice then. "Don't worry about it." she concluded and got up and joined Jaden. The two causally turned and made their way to the doorway and away from the new student.

"Thanks for all your help," A sarcastic whisper left Una's lips and into Jaden's ear, making him smirk and then turn to lock eyes with his best friend.

"That's what I'm here for." He said through a cheeky smile, knowing what Una was implying at the moment. He couldn't help but laugh causing Una to give him the typical sweet smile.

"We need her, remember?"

"Yeah, don't remind me." The dining room was now behind them and soon Una's room. Jaden summoned a small iceball and watched it as he rolled it around his hand before looking back up at Una who was making sure no one saw them. It was strictly forbidden to have the opposite sex in your dorm room, friend or other wise.

The door shut and a quick flame spawned melting the ice before Una turned to him anxiously, knowing the answer to her own question.

"Well, what do you think?"

"You know what I think. I don't like it in the slightest. I know our magic is up to par. We know each others strengths and weaknesses. hells, I trust you with my life. She practically fell apart she said more than few words. She might be a nice girl but if gods forbid we get into combat I don't want to worry for another person..." he ran a hand through his brown hair, contemplating what it would be like to have to watch out for Una as well as Alice. It was bad enough that Una could die if they weren't careful but know someone else could. On top of that they weren't even suppose to venture off like this. Maybe these were the risks of finding a fellow mage, even when most if not all members forbid it. His brown eyes locked with hers letting out a sigh.

"I trust you, Una. I do find it troublesome for us to call on her for help, but your instincts are rarely wrong. I'll keep to making sure we find what we are looking for and make it out all in one piece. If we don't then we'll know we made the wrong decision," Jaden laughed before giving her a reassuring smile to back up his vote of confidence. He pulled her over and hugged her showing her that he believes that she made the right choice.

"Now let's get out of here before anyone reports us."

Simus

An Excellent Site Member
    Alice felt good as Jaden and Una left. She was going to get some help with her studies and she felt she had made at least one new friend. That would help her in the long run and made her feel better for the moment. People she was comfortable around and could have fun with would help heal her mind significantly but there wouldn't be much point in it if she went on this crazy adventure and they didn't. She and anyone else who goes on this would probably be expelled. Of course she could always leave when she knew what they were up to. If these people were going on this adventure however than that would be very interesting.

As she got up to put her dishes away she noticed another student sitting at a table to her far left. She looked in her early thirties and thought her name was Dabiele. Yes, that sounded right. She distinctly remembered having to remove Dinnah from a classroom while Dabiene was giving a presentation and was able to catch her name between flashes of red embarrassment. She looked like she was also finishing up her lunch and Alice was done with classes for the day so she decided to say hello.

As she got closer she noticed that Dabiene wasn't wearing a hood but had her long red-brown hair down to cover her ears. She was also wearing standard college robes reinforced with ebony plate. Alice thought that was strange for day-to-day wear in a safe environment like this. A frontline battle camp or out adventuring alone made sense. Her father and brother almost lived in heavy armor for both reasons, but there wasn't any danger here at the College. Even if there was Alice hated wearing heavy armor. She had tried wearing steel plate once when she was assigned to The Reach with the Stormcloaks and it took fifteen minutes and her father's help just to get dressed. Then when she was dressed it was so heavy she could barley move and had to resort to slow grinding sword attacks when she trained in it. She was so sore by the end of the day that she swore never to wear it again. Even so this woman seemed quite comfortable wearing it so Alice decided to use that to strike up a conversation. She spoke up after joining the woman in step out of the hall.

"Hi there." She said, smiling up at the slightly taller woman. "I like your armor but I get the feeling there isn't much need for it around here. Don't your back and shoulders get tired?"

Dabiene Caristiana

Dabiene tried hard to figure out a way to get her little 'problem' resolved. Ideas went in out through her head, tossing and tumbling but not essentially 'clicking'. Sighing in exasperation on her failed pre-ideas, she grabbed another apple to munch on, now finished with her first. Looking at the first carefully, she noticed how the bite marks were.

If one were to like carefully, they would notice the canines dug in deeper. However, that was very small in comparison to normal canine teeth. Growling, Dabiene quickly disposed of the remains in one of her many side bags and pouches, making a mental note to dispose of it later. This wasn't the first time she had to be careful leaving evidence of her secret life of the furry side. Numerous times she would take the remains of her food and take it with her, often coming up with the excuse of finishing it off later. She would often get puzzled looks from other students when they would look at said remains and find there was, quite literally, almost nothing left.

"Damned metabolism." The Breton mage muttered. Taking a bite, she let her mind wander briefly before noticing the conversation a short distance away at another table. The three students she noticed from earlier were still chatting. Or rather, the socially awkward Alice trying to get advice from the other students.

"Um...Actually, there is something I could use some help with. I'm struggling in conjuration and my roommate Brelyna doesn't know much more than I do. I could use some help with the basics. Particularly how to properly cast soul trap. It just doesn't seem to work for me."

'Ah, Conjuration, the school where one needs confidence in abundance. Something that Phinis has but doesn't care to lend it. Let alone teach it.'

It was true, in her opinion anyway, that while Phinis Gestor, the current teacher of Conjuration, was very skilled in the school of Conjuration, he wasn't exactly the best teacher. Of course, how can one teach confidence? No, it should simply be encouraged and nurtured. If not learned from personal experience.

While the school of Conjuration was and still is a powerful tool and aid to many mages, it required a ton of focus, concentration, and of course confidence. After all, why would a creature from oblivion follow the commands of a mortal with no confidence? It would end in disaster, essentially.

'Disaster indeed.'

She took the last few final bites, now noticing how much she ate while in deeper thoughts and gave a shrug. A wandering mind does tend to feed a hungry stomach with hardly any trouble it seemed. Putting the core of the second apple away where she put the first, she got up from her seat and began walking back toward the student rooms. Perhaps there she could think of another way to deal with it. However, she realized she wasn't alone when the new girl Alice walked up beside her and started talking.

"Hi there." She said, smiling up at her. "I like your armor but I get the feeling there isn't much need for it around here. Don't your back and shoulders get tired?"

'Well, aren't we curious?' Of course, the reserved woman knew the girl was trying to strike up a conversation. While she didn't go as far as pity her or feel sorry for her, she definitely could understand the 'horrors' of peer pressure. She recalled a quiet outburst from J'zargo about Alice's 'boot licking'. Because putting effort into studies and finding true understanding in the arts is defined as 'boot licking'. Dabiene did a mental eye roll at that. The sadistic part of her pictured herself, or rather, her wolfish part of her chasing the cat, er, Khajiit around just for some 'fun'.

Mentally shaking herself, she stopped and turned her attention fully to the Imperial. Her lip quirked up in a half-smile, unable to stop it. The girl's smile was infectious. A good quality, having connections in an otherworldly way with other people.

"At times, yes. Although I'm rather used it due to... My history in other duties. One can't help with paranoia these days, what with bandits, the war, and other general nasties that like to lurk in Skyrim's wilderness. It tends to be somewhat cumbersome, but I like having a second skin that I can depend on."

She turned away and started walking again, Alice striding alongside her. Before she could gather her thoughts, she blurted out, "I did overhear you were having troubles with Conjuration." Shaken by what she just said she mentally berated herself, 'What? What are you doing?!' 'Helping, obviously.'

Before her conscience could battle it out further she continued, "While Phinis is good at theory and demonstration, he cannot teach what you very much need in order to be proficient in Conjuration." She stopped and turned facing Alice. "Confidence. Intent. Power. You need those three. You need to mean it. Even if it's a simple soul trap spell, if one is not confident in the basics, it can essentially bleed into the outcomes of higher tier spells. Think of it this way. Would you run before you could walk? Should you walk before you can crawl?" She paused to let it sink in before continuing further. "While it's true that different schools require a different mindset, with Conjuration, one must be very focused and forceful. After all, summoning things from Oblivion with little to no confidence or clear intent can find themselves on the nasty end of the creature or thing they summoned. Items and beings from Oblivion love power. And they respect it. They aren't cute and cuddly little animals that obey commands with a little training."

Dabiene paused again, letting it sink in further, before going in for the final punch. "As I said, even if it's only the basics, even if it's only to learn spells, you need power, confidence, and intent. I'm sure everyone in this building knows, life isn't forgiving. You need those three to succeed, let alone get anywhere." Finally finished, her very being vibrated in a way only someone passionate about a subject could be. She hoped she didn't come off as too harsh on the girl. No, the girl needed it, she decided. Hopefully, she learned a lesson in life where, when one truly does care, they will offer advice and constructive criticism to help them advance. She recognized a fellow hungry and eager mind when she saw one. It would be shameful to let that potential go to waste.

'And perhaps... perhaps that's why I'm offering.'

Last edited:

Recent chat visitors

Latest posts